New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? I'd rather him have something to do with it than Chris Martin, frankly.

Jay-Z said:
The writer had asked me about a U2 record that had just been released and I said something about the pressure a group like that must be under just to meet their own standards.

He said the quote had really gotten to him and he decided to go back to the studio, even though the album was already done, and keep reworking it till he thought it was as good as it could possibly be.

Jay-Z gives Bono the jitters | The Sun |Showbiz|Music

GG-winner Daniel Lanois talks U2, Peter Gabriel – and hockey - The Globe and Mail

The complete interview with Daniel Lanois.

And then the connection with Eno led to your work with U2.

Yes. Actually, Bono just came to my place in L.A. a few weeks ago. He let me hear the new record that they’re doing with Danger Mouse. It sounded amazing. Very, very big and powerful-sounding. Some of it was adventurous. There were shades of Achtung Baby. A couple of songs I was familiar with, because we worked on them before but had not completed them. Now they’re back on the burner. Bono is very excited, and he’s singing beautifully. He makes me jealous. Those barrel-chested Irish tenors.

It’s part of the business, but how do you feel about Danger Mouse producing this album, and you not being involved this time around?

I’m actually glad that I’m not making this record with them. I don’t think I’d survive the experiment. It’s hard work. It’s two years, and it will be a character-building experience for Danger Mouse. You really have to be physically fit to make a U2 record. But, really, they’re all hard. All records are hard to make.

'Pop and rock' is surely a fairly accurate description of u2 though? At least to a casual listener!

Indeed. My concern stems from the implication (by Dallas) that the new record is different because it has "some pop and rock". So does that mean stuff in the vein of Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, Vertigo etc.....but with an even more of a tinge of "pop and rock"?

Of course this is based on a tweet by someone who claims she heard it from Dallas....so like I said, jumping to conclusions and stuff :wink:

Ugh. Pop and rock songs are what U2 does. Their last album had pop and rock elements. So did the one before that and the one before that and the one before that going back to Boy. So will this one. I'd read ZERO into that Tweet...any more than that is really grasping.

The Lanois comments, however, are very interesting.

Ugh. Pop and rock songs are what U2 does. Their last album had pop and rock elements. So did the one before that and the one before that and the one before that going back to Boy. So will this one. I'd read ZERO into that Tweet...any more than that is really grasping.

The Lanois comments, however, are very interesting.

I couldn't agree more. Practically the entirety of U2's catalogue is pop and rock. But this tweet seems to be implying that the new album is different because it has some pop/rock songs.

We're over 1,000.
May I make a suggestion to one of our fine resident organizers around here?

Maybe we need a new thread with all of the latest stuff crammed in the first post.

I would imagine that most of the forum doesn't even know there's actual shit going on because the first 60 pages of this thing were nothing but wank.

I'm not a "resident organizer," but this is a good idea that no one seems to have heeded, so...

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/new-album-discussion-electric-lady-studios-215656.html

Boy is not "pop" as the term is widely regarded. Neither are October or War for that matter. Unless you consider post-punk only played on coolege radio to be part of pop.

Pride is pop but the rest of TUF isn't.

Their first "pop" album would be JT, though even that sounded out-of-step with the times. When I think of the term and it's relation to U2, ATYCLB comes to mind first.

Boy is not "pop" as the term is widely regarded. Neither are October or War for that matter. Unless you consider post-punk only played on coolege radio to be part of pop.

Pride is pop but the rest of TUF isn't.

Their first "pop" album would be JT, though even that sounded out-of-step with the times. When I think of the term and it's relation to U2, ATYCLB comes to mind first.

I'm not sure anyone said all (or any) of their records were pop records. I merely said they all have both rock and pop elements. Which they do. And I wouldn't regard TJT as a pop record...actually, I don't think any of their records are strictly pop.

I'm not sure anyone said all (or any) of their records were pop records. I merely said they all have both rock and pop elements. Which they do.

No, they don't.

There isn't anything on Boy or October that I would classify as pop. It's total post-punk.

I guess on War you have Red Light. But that's a brutal price to pay for pop.

And I wouldn't regard TJT as a pop record...actually, I don't think any of their records are strictly pop.

I wouldn't consider JT either, really. But ATYCLB is pretty damned pop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom