New Album Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coldplay just wrapped up the Mylo Xyloto tour on New Years Eve in NYC, and have now gone into quiet album making mode. I wouldn't expect to hear anything new from them until the 2nd half of 2014.

The Rolling Stones are making a comeback, but to the stage. They released 2 new songs last year, but there will probably be nothing else new from them, maybe ever!

Kings of Leon are releasing an album this September, and doing a pretty full tour of the UK and Europe this summer. There are 4 members, and we haven't heard anything new from them for a couple years. This would make sense, except he said "one of the biggest bands in the world". That doesn't fit at all.

Other than U2, really.... WHO ELSE COULD IT BE???

Obviously a big Coldplay fan!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

U2 rarely completely disappoints me. There are at least 4-5 songs on every album that I really enjoy. :wink:

Agreed. Every U2 album has at least a handful of songs that I really like, and many have a lot more than that. At the very least, a new U2 album will give me another half album of material that I think is awesome. At the most, might get nearly an entire album of awesome songs. It's a win for me whenever a new U2 album comes out. :up:

if Zane Lowe really is talking about U2.. then I think things are going to get rolling soon..

- Rolling Stone and Q will probably feature another In the Studio article
- we'll start getting song titles
- we'll hear beach clips, or at least hear second-hand descriptions of how songs sound
- Bono will start talking...
- U2.com might feature some exlusive videos.

If we are entering this phase, then things are about to get fun. :up:

:drool: I love it when this stuff starts to happen!

And I can't believe so many people around here think Broken Bells is boring! Do you all have ADD? :tsk:

I could really give two shits about the album brewing innovative, ground breaking, a departure, etc etc etc.

If it is? Great.

All I want is good music.

If it's classic sounding U2, with good, quality, catchy songs, but zero innovation whatsoever? I'll be thrilled.

Those expecting some sort of musical revolution from a band in their 50s are only setting themselves up to be disappointed when the album finally drops.

Is it the time to get a loan?
I'm excited for U2.com to send out breaking news, weeks after it is common knowledge :up:
:lol::lol::lol:

I see y'all been having fun!

Ugh. I remember reading that. I had put that interview out of my mind in order to delude myself into being optimistic. But at least it's over two years old by now and was before they really got going on this next album.

Anyway, when I think of U2 + Danger Mouse - I think of stuff like "Salome".
Groovy bass driven pop songs. Or "Last Night on Earth" will less noise.

Methinks this album will either work really well or it flat out won't.
But that's fine. Swing for the fences, boys.

I kinda like Salome and I love LNOE

Kings of Leon are releasing an album this September, and doing a pretty full tour of the UK and Europe this summer. There are 4 members, and we haven't heard anything new from them for a couple years. This would make sense, except he said "one of the biggest bands in the world". That doesn't fit at all.

If I had to guess I would say that Zane Lowe was talking about U2, but Kings of Leon are in fact one of the biggest bands in the world right now. They're hugely popular. Sex on Fire and Use Somebody, no matter what anybody thinks of them, were two of the biggest radio singles to come from a guitar rock band in a loooooooong time. If they had been at either Coachella or Lollapalooza, or any big European festival, they would have had top billing, etc.

Zane Lowe could have easily been talking about KOL.

Lowe also has a long history with Arctic Monkeys, and they're a four member band who hasn't been heard from in a couple years and they've been in the studio recently.

They're not as big internationally, but are definitely one of the "biggest bands" in the UK, where Lowe is based. They're headlining Glastonbury this year alongside the Stones. He could have been talking about Arctic Monkeys. Although that's less likely than either KOL or U2.

Don't know why I've spent so much time thinking about this.

Nope...... I got it..... Led ZEPPELIN
:no:

:wink: never been a real LZ fan
You're right I didn't want to hear that :lol::wink:
:lol:

I like some of their songs, so not a "hater".

Even with with Danger Mouse,my expectation are very low.The band is tired creatively speaking.Bono's songwriting has been mediocre at best in the last 3 albums. And since producers don't write songs or compose music,i don't anticipate any changes.

I would love a Zooropa record,but i bet we'll end up with a ATYCLB album,since Bono's goal is to be on the radio.

Plenty of people here will diagree with you on at least one of the last 3 albums :D

There's songs from ATYCLB & HTDUB I really love and
yes I think NLOTH is a Masterpiece

I tend to prefer this one by them... might have to give the album another listen to see if others stand out though.

Broken Bells - The Ghost Inside (Live at The Boat) - YouTube

Is it just me, or does this guy's drumming all sound like that time when the lead singer (or guitar player, or whatever) snuck in behind the kit and pretended to be a multi instrumentalist while the real drummer went for a piss/beer/toke/line/whatever??

Utter crapola, I'm sorry. Anyone who wants this "influence" on U2 needs to seriously rethink that. Ugh.

If I had to guess I would say that Zane Lowe was talking about U2, but Kings of Leon are in fact one of the biggest bands in the world right now. They're hugely popular. Sex on Fire and Use Somebody, no matter what anybody thinks of them, were two of the biggest radio singles to come from a guitar rock band in a loooooooong time. If they had been at either Coachella or Lollapalooza, or any big European festival, they would have had top billing, etc.

Zane Lowe could have easily been talking about KOL.

Lowe also has a long history with Arctic Monkeys, and they're a four member band who hasn't been heard from in a couple years and they've been in the studio recently.

They're not as big internationally, but are definitely one of the "biggest bands" in the UK, where Lowe is based. They're headlining Glastonbury this year alongside the Stones. He could have been talking about Arctic Monkeys. Although that's less likely than either KOL or U2.

Don't know why I've spent so much time thinking about this.

They know just what we do, that we toss and turn at night.
They're waiting to make their moves on us...

If the band don't inject some new infusion in their sound,they will be accuse (and rightly so) of rehashing the old formula.They won't win that battle againts the critics...beside Rolling Stone of course ,who will kiss their ass as usual.

U2 have been very quiet about this album by U2 standards. Probably a good thing but it is hard to tell with this band. :shrug:

U2 rarely completely disappoints me. There are at least 4-5 songs on every album that I really enjoy. That really is pretty good for most artists. I think we are all just hoping they can pull off that "complete" album again. U2 has done it twice IMO. Most artists only do it once, or never. So hoping for a third is not impossible, but not super likely either. But there is always hope! :)

I've "Got A Feeling" this album is going to be a good one, but not a "complete" one like JT and AB. :wink:

This is a great post and I agree with everything except I still hold out that the possability they might still have a third complete album, if it happens great but if not I will buy album and see them prolly 10 times next tour as I always do. While in agreement with the at least 4-5 songs from every album theory, what scares me most is that steaming pile of crap (Boots), which not only made the last album but offered as the single. The song is so bad and just cringeworthy I hope they make better decisions this time around.

Very, very much so. Right now, I'm probably more excited for that than I am for the new U2 album.

Regarding the new U2 record, my expectations are low, and nothing in any of those Broken Bells clips gives me any confidence.

As for Baz Luhrmann's new film, I'm very much looking forward to it as well, it's probably my second most eagerly awaited movie of the year right now. I'm a fan of Luhrmann, and since I'm widely regarded as the "Jay Gatsby" of this site, my anticipation is high.

Well, Broken Bells suck, so that's OK.

These tracks, on the other hand:

Beck - Orphans - YouTube

Gnarls Barkley - Just a Thought - YouTube

Gorillaz - El Manana (Remastered) - YouTube

I maintain that Danger Mouse is a bold yet logical pick for U2. He has finesse and a sense for atmosphere that will bring out the best in the band, likely recalling TUF and JT while also sending them in new and exciting directions. I'm almost as big a Beck fan as I am a U2 fan and I had some trepidation about him producing Modern Guilt at the time, but the album's sound suits the material extremely well. He knows what he's doing.

I was actually a huge Coldplay fan, thus my point. It's painful to watch my favorites do things that are ridiculous. And I agree, Danger Mouse will mix things up a bit for these guys so hopefully it inspires greatness. But JT and AB hold such incredible memories for me it will be hard for anything to sound as complete.

I just think some of us are vastly over rating what a producer can do. U2 has worked with some of the best in the business, both to great success and disappointment. And they've had aborted attempts with others still. They've been working on these sessions on and off for years now. My feeling is that if they somehow captured lighting in a bottle with these sessions, and something extraordinary came together, it wouldn't be taking this long. Great art, especially music, normally doesn't work that way.

No one can argue that they've had the most success with Eno & Lanois, (and to a lesser extent Lillywhite), and those producers been involved to one extent or another in all their 00's records...yet all of those records still deeply divide fans. The same with Pop, in which none of the usual suspects were involved as far as I know...and that's their most polarising record yet.

Burton's track record and success with other bands, IMO, in no way is a guarantee that U2's record will be any kind of improvement or revelation. It's normal to have high hopes for a new release from a band we all love, but I think the march forward of time, their getting older, Bono's seeming inability to write consistently good lyrics (in fact, a good deal of the 00's lyrics have been awful) and continuing to place a priority on getting on the radio probably means a lot of people are going to be disappointed. I'm not saying the record won't be great, it could very well be, I hope it is. I'm just pointing out that the mere presence of Brian Burton or anyone else (or the absence of their previous collaborators) really doesn't, in itself, assure greatness.

Even Bomb?

I actually like Bomb. I think it is probably the best album they have put out without Brian and Danny. (ducks from the POP lovers our there :wink: )

City Of Blinding Lights
Original Of The Species
Fast Cars
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

all songs I can listen to at anytime and they sound good.

Honorable mentions that I like sometimes

Love and Peace Or Else
Crumbs From Your Table

Songs that I have to be in the mood for or just do not care for

Miracle Drug (I know a lot like this song, but it does nothing for me, sort of like Magnificent from No Line to me. Just doesn't hit me. )
One Step Closer (filler)
Yahweh (doesnt hit me and/or filler)
All Because Of you (better live, but I typically skip it on the album)

Sorry, this got long. Bomb has a "tone" if that makes sense that is kind of gritty and I do listen to it complete sometimes when I'm in the mood for it. So it is fairly cohesive to me in that regard. Much more than No Line. No Line seems kind of overthought. U2 chickened out with the cohesive experimental part at the last second and went for singles. It suffers as a result. But the song No Line is as good anything they have done IMO.

I think they just need to do the music that they feel like doing, whatever that is, rather than try to force innovation or a single or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom