Neil McCormick equates Coldplay to U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coolian2 said:

I had a suspicion that was what you were referring to, but i thought it might have been funnier that way i posted it :lol:

It was, trust me! I was just covering the bases there. I have big hopes for this baby, it could really go places! :hyper:

The Sad Punk said:
bmcoldplay101b.jpg

cmcrk2.png

bmcoldplay101b.jpg

cmcrk2.png

bmcoldplay101b.jpg

cmcrk2.png

:drool: that man! :love:

Coldplay the next U2? I've always found the whole idea irritating due to my U2 fundamentalism, but if there has to be the next U2, Id rather it be them than anyone else......

But ye never know, maybe VLVODAAHF is to Coldplay what UF was to U2....time will tell.

There has always been something McCartney-esque about Martin's melodies and the band's harmonic style.

But there is something more, too. He conjures up Macca's old bandmate John Lennon with the line, "I don't want to be a soldier", but adds his own poetic twist: "Who the captain of some sinking ship would stow/down below/ If you love me, why'd'you let me go?"

:)

intedomine said:
Coldplay the next U2? I've always found the whole idea irritating due to my U2 fundamentalism, but if there has to be the next U2, Id rather it be them than anyone else......

But ye never know, maybe VLVODAAHF is to Coldplay what UF was to U2....time will tell.

Of course there is going to be a next U2, I mean, nothing lasts forever, you might as well enjoy it if it's going to happen anyway.

U2girl said:
There has always been something McCartney-esque about Martin's melodies and the band's harmonic style.

But there is something more, too. He conjures up Macca's old bandmate John Lennon with the line, "I don't want to be a soldier", but adds his own poetic twist: "Who the captain of some sinking ship would stow/down below/ If you love me, why'd'you let me go?"

:)

This is another quote from the McCormick article:

"This is what their critics (and there have been many) dislike about Coldplay: their sincerity, populism and lack of irony. It annoys the same people who have an intense antipathy to U2"

Exactly Neil, and it is interesting to find U2 fans who hate Coldplay, I think if you just give in into it, you will at least understand why they are nowadays as adored as U2. By the way, Have you heard the "Viva la Vida", i mean the single, it is available for free if you pre-order the album on itunes. The song is absolutely amazing, better than any son from the last U2 album. I am sure some of you will say it's a U2 rip off or something, but it is not, it is absorbing an influence and making it your own. The song is magnificient.

Moshepop said:

Exactly Neil, .......

Um. Are you having a private conversation with Neil McCormick here about Coldplay or is this for our benefit?

Not trying to be rude but it seems to me that even if you would like to take your convo with him public, don't you think it would be better to do that, say, on a Coldplay forum? :huh:

gvox said:

Um. Are you having a private conversation with Neil McCormick here about Coldplay or is this for our benefit?

Not trying to be rude but it seems to me that even if you would like to take your convo with him public, don't you think it would be better to do that, say, on a Coldplay forum? :huh:

Actually, I am saying it in a Coldplay Forum. Both simultaenusly baby.

Moshepop said:
Exactly Neil, and it is interesting to find U2 fans who hate Coldplay, I think if you just give in into it, you will at least understand why they are nowadays as adored as U2. By the way, Have you heard the "Viva la Vida", i mean the single, it is available for free if you pre-order the album on itunes. The song is absolutely amazing, better than any son from the last U2 album. I am sure some of you will say it's a U2 rip off or something, but it is not, it is absorbing an influence and making it your own. The song is magnificient.

Or maybe some people who like U2 just don't give a toss about Coldplay and that has no bearing on whether or not Coldplay will be the next U2 or that they might rip off their songs. :shrug:

Lara Mullen said:

Or maybe some people who like U2 just don't give a toss about Coldplay and that has no bearing on whether or not Coldplay will be the next U2 or that they might rip off their songs. :shrug:

That's right if you don't like you don't like it. And this thread should only be to discuss this in relation to U2. I personally don't love many of the stuff Codlplay did with their first albums. But I think many other songs are great too. But so far this album is turning up to be amazing. The significance being, a similar transition than from WAR into UF. in the same moment in time in their careers.

gvox said:

But didn't you say that the final band was crowned, the death of rock would occur? So shouldn't we, like, kill Coldplay?

Death and Re-Birth of Rock n Roll. So you can expect then, one more triumvirate after this one, and one after that one, and so on, and on, and on, and on. Get the picture?

For me, Coldplay is all about Martin's voice, which is amazing. There's a timbre to his voice that is unique and has an obvious universal appeal -- take away that voice, and you're left with some very tuneful, lyrically banal, middle-of-the-road songs about love.

I have no idea what they would have in common with U2, a 4-square post-punk band, other than both groups are big and appeal to white people.

The new song Viva La Vida is easily their best work to date. It's fucking fantastic. I hope the rest of the album is of that caliber. I hope eno brings some of that enthusiasm to the U2 sessions. Lots of strings and madness and awesomeness.

This is an exciting year for music.

Back
Top Bottom