My opinion about the new album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Strato Edge

War Child
I personally believe that this new album is going to be darker and heavier than All That You Can't Leave Behind. I also think this will sound like U2, I don't think any band will heavily influence this album. I know this album is going to be great and more energetic than their last. This should be one of their better albums, because when you put Larry, Edge, Adam, and Bono in one room, they can only produce great things. Only a few more months!

It's interesting to hear what everyone has to say about an unreleased album... I just hope you guys don't set your expectations too high... (as U2 fans have the tendency to do)

cujo said:
It's interesting to hear what everyone has to say about an unreleased album... I just hope you guys don't set your expectations too high... (as U2 fans have the tendency to do)

they went beyond my expectations for ATYCLB... although they did so in a different fashion then I'd expected.

I seriously think that this album will produce some seriously good stuff. I have not came across anything truely bad by this band

Dorian Gray said:

they went beyond my expectations for ATYCLB... although they did so in a different fashion then I'd expected.

Same here, I've never been let down by a U2 album.

i cried when i heard all that you cant leave behind. yes beautifull day is there best song and elevation is good too, but other then that the whole album is shit. stuck in a moment you cant get out of is the shities song by u2, u2 is my favorite band but this album had 2 awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome songs but the rest were fillers.

I totally disagree about 'Stuck'. It's one of those perfect soul songs. Every lyric and every couplet just kind of flows with the music just so. The rhymes are in place not to rhyme, but to say something within each rhyme. It's amazing how well it's put together actually.

As for the rest of the album, a lot of people forget that this is a soul-rock record, not anything else. The key component is old school soul and melody. It's not trying to be anything. It doesn't have an agenda to blow the mind. It is what it is, and what it is, is an album with 11 "decent melodies". 'Walk On' is a classic, as is 'Kite'. 'Beautiful Day' is a modern rock classic. 'Stuck in a Moment', as mentioned, is a classic soul tune done U2 style. As is 'In A Little While'. This album is supposed to warm the spirit, nothing more. No other U2 album has done that in such a way. That's why it's one of their best.

megadrum2002 said:
i cried when i heard all that you cant leave behind. yes beautifull day is there best song and elevation is good too, but other then that the whole album is shit. stuck in a moment you cant get out of is the shities song by u2, u2 is my favorite band but this album had 2 awesome awesome awesome awesome awesome songs but the rest were fillers.

I completely disagree

I understand if you dont like it, but this is by no means a "shitty" album. Could possibly be their strongest overall album in my opinion.

Someone burned me a CD with the some of the cuts from ATYCLB and U2 songs, and I just love it.. However, I couldn't believe it when I actualy bought the cd. Kite just blew me away, still does, Stuck and all the others are soul enhancing. You can't listen to it enough. I go around with them in my head, incorporate them into my conversations.. Just today, at lunch, I looked up at the sky and sung out, God!! It's a BeautifuI!! Day.. Wild Honey just plays lovingly through my mind. all the songs just come together. Not just in my opinion, either.

Hmmph

I sort of think ATYCLB is a little boring, in retrospect. Loved it when it first came out, but after a while (sans first listen highs...), it became a little musically unfulfilling and even uneven to me. I like a lot of songs (Beautiful Day, In a Little While, When I Look at the World...) but the rest start getting bland. "Stuck" only gets interesting after the bridge. The "soul" just feels drowned out by the music... I guess thats why I listen to the accoustic version. Walk On (album version) gets a little boring as well. For some reason I like the Walk On single or the live version better than the album. Same with Elevation and New York. If the single/live versions appeal to me more than the album tracks, then there is problems with that album IMO.

Last edited:
Re: Hmmph

Flying FuManchu said:
If the single/live versions appeal to me more than the album tracks, then there is problems with that album IMO.
That theory could work for some albums, but what about an album like Pop? The singles on that album sounded much different than the album versions, but people generally disagree which versions are better. It seems so arbitrary to apply that theory to such an album.

All music sounds better live. It's music's true playground. Magnetic tape and engineers, have their place, but live music is the shit.

Back
Top Bottom