Much More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2 are old school and slow working.

we'll get an album, followed by a tour promoting said album.. likely late next year

U2 are old school and slow working.

we'll get an album, followed by a tour promoting said album.. likely late next year

You really think they'll be ready to go out on another tour right away?

Highly unlikely.

U2 will release something before the US dates, or they will release an album that is more meditative and not exactly road worthy after this tour.

Mark my words.

The tour promotes the album.

360 promoting Songs of ascent * in this case.

NLOTH being 2+ years old by the time they will be playing US (and with the total of 4 of its songs in the set at the moment), it would make plenty of sense to release something new.

*insert the title of the new U2 album.

Highly unlikely.

U2 will release something before the US dates, or they will release an album that is more meditative and not exactly road worthy after this tour.

Mark my words.

we're saying the same thing. they'll release a new album and continue touring with the same tour 360 set up

Well, if they don't release an album soon, they'll be roasted not just by U2 fans but by the music press. This is what my Google News feed looks like for U2 news:

4996386654_c8626114d7_z.jpg

But I just don't see them waiting till the end of next year and extending this tour well into 2012.

that's the catch, I agree.. that's a long time for these geezers to be touring. July 2009 - Summer 2012? doesn't seem likely.

A lot of it is just rehashing of the Rolling Stone article. The point being that the "4 albums worth!" and "Songs of Ascent" and "New lead single premiered on-stage!" is already out there on the interwebs, so U2 had better either really release something substantial, or definitively squash the rumors.

It is odd how slow they seem to be in terms of adapting to the Internet.

But I just don't see them waiting till the end of next year and extending this tour well into 2012.

There have been plans for 2011 dates for US and rumoured few European dates and S. America (S. Africa?) but nothing decisive for 2012 ...

What country/city would be left to play ?

Highly unlikely.

Mark my words.

Couldn't agree more.

I don't see U2 touring again after 360 for a long time.

i've no idea really
with their kids growing up they could, if they wanted to, keep touring 360 into 2013 if they add a couple of months off between legs and do about a dozen shows a month
don't think that's too likely, but not impossible

Touring a few months a year really isn't a big deal. It's not like they work 7 days a week!

With the financial model upside down now, and the tour being where the money comes from, I wouldn't be surprised to see 360 go on!

bull.

touring is where acts make their money these days. that's why the more lucrative contracts come from live nation instead of coming from the actual record label.

once upon a time bands did tour to promote album sales. now it's the exact opposite.

CD sales need a boost these days. Exactly. And a successful tour, which still reaches mass audiences, can wind up being a promotional tool to do just that. You reiterated my point.

If they wanted the tour to really promote NLOTH they would have kept the name Kiss the Future Tour and sold the album at the stadium, when the name changed to 360 which was unrelated to the album and we started hearing about SOA we assumed the name change was because they wanted to promote more than one project over the life of the tour... well they need to stop being so apprehensive about releasing a new album to make that plan matter.

I really think they should have sold NLOTH at the stadium last year, there were plenty of casuals that didn't know the songs because they're out of touch and so is the radio, but most people were into the new material and many probably would have bought it. The majority of the folks going to U2 aren't of the generation that only get their music from piracy, but by that token they also don't learn about music online as easily as pirates and young people do, it would have been effective direct marketing... still could be for their next release.

If they wanted the tour to really promote NLOTH they would have kept the name Kiss the Future Tour and sold the album at the stadium, when the name changed to 360 which was unrelated to the album and we started hearing about SOA we assumed the name change was because they wanted to promote more than one project over the life of the tour... well they need to stop being so apprehensive about releasing a new album to make that plan matter.

I really think they should have sold NLOTH at the stadium last year, there were plenty of casuals that didn't know the songs because they're out of touch and so is the radio, but most people were into the new material and many probably would have bought it. The majority of the folks going to U2 aren't of the generation that only get their music from piracy, but by that token they also don't learn about music online as easily as pirates and young people do, it would have been effective direct marketing... still could be for their next release.

Wait the tour was first named Kiss the Future then changed to 360? I don't remember that. I remember fans speculating on what the tour would be called and Kiss the Future was one guess, but I thought 360 Tour was the first official name U2 used.

There was a lot of chatter from the U2 camp to the media about the impending announcement of the 'Kiss the Future' Tour on the specific day the tour was announced, as 360. Go back and read some of the stories from around that time, seems a lot more substantial than fan speculation.

Ah okay I guess I didn't remember that. I thought you meant they actually changed the name of the tour after originally announcing it.

4 straight years on the road is a tad much for an aging rock band with growing kids. 3 years is pushing it as it is. as much as i'd love to see it, i highly doubt they'll stretch anything into 2012.

Agreed. This is one reason why having kids younger than older makes alot of sense. I'll be 46 when my last one goes off to university. Look out world! :wink:

ETA: If they REALLY wanted to promote the tour and the future of the band properly, they'd have named it "No Retirement On The Forseeable Horizon, Coldplay Assholes" (or NROTFHA for the t-shirts)

If they wanted the tour to really promote NLOTH they would have kept the name Kiss the Future Tour and sold the album at the stadium, when the name changed to 360 which was unrelated to the album and we started hearing about SOA we assumed the name change was because they wanted to promote more than one project over the life of the tour...

perhaps they just realized that "kiss the future tour" was a shitty, shitty name. that or they thought it would confuse fans of gene simmons.

Touring a few months a year really isn't a big deal. It's not like they work 7 days a week!

With the financial model upside down now, and the tour being where the money comes from, I wouldn't be surprised to see 360 go on!

Easy to say when you've never done so. I'm sure it looks real easy, but how easy is it on the stability of children? What about the crews?

CD sales need a boost these days. Exactly. And a successful tour, which still reaches mass audiences, can wind up being a promotional tool to do just that. You reiterated my point.

no, i didn't. sales of actual music is a financial bonus these days. artists make considerably more money from touring. heck, a lot of artists even make more money from ringtones than from actual albums and singles. they're not touring to promote an album. those days are long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom