Much More New Music Rumors and Such...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Omg! Earlier this morning, Lillywhite tweeted, asking what he should do on his radio show today. I replied "Discuss and confirm the rumours of a new U2 album later this year?"

I didn't notice till just now, but right after, he tweeted:

Sillywhite: i feel i should only talk about records that are already released. the artist has to lead the chat on the new releases !

Doesn't really tell us anything, but I thought it was worth a try, and it's funny that he actually replied. :) And he didn't say "U2 album? There's no new U2 album!" :wishfulthinking:

Should we read between the lines and assume he really meant:

I have been sworn under penalty of a beating to not mention one damn thing about anything. And I believe that threat ... Edge was correct when he said 'Bono hits us. Sometimes really hard.'

:wink:

That's exactly how I read it. :wink:

Btw, if anyone is in NYC and is so inclined, he invited people (he frequently does this) to come down to the studio where he does his radio show, and hang out. Maybe he'd be a little more forthcoming in person...?

Woman on the scene bonoishot talked to Dallas in Brussels, and he spoke of new songs tomorrow.

New as in "new," or new as in "same new songs that they've already been doing"? Ooooooooh, time will tell.

:drool:

Omg! Earlier this morning, Lillywhite tweeted, asking what he should do on his radio show today. I replied "Discuss and confirm the rumours of a new U2 album later this year?"

I didn't notice till just now, but right after, he tweeted:

Sillywhite: i feel i should only talk about records that are already released. the artist has to lead the chat on the new releases !

Doesn't really tell us anything, but I thought it was worth a try, and it's funny that he actually replied. :) And he didn't say "U2 album? There's no new U2 album!" :wishfulthinking:

:hmm:

Woman on the scene bonoishot talked to Dallas in Brussels, and he spoke of new songs tomorrow.

New as in "new," or new as in "same new songs that they've already been doing"? Ooooooooh, time will tell.

Considering how cool most of the new songs are (hello, EBW and Mercy,) I wouldn't be TOO bummed-out if the latter is true.
Still, I certainly wouldn't object to new-new songs, either...:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Maybe U2/Bono will announce to the crowd, this is our brand new single from our new album coming out...?

That would be pretty cool of U2 to do instead of the typical radio/web release.

Yeah, you could read a long way into that, or not at all.

I do think that U2 have really wanted to release something outside the normal schedule this time. To mention a wealth of material and a quick follow up when promoting an album is the norm, but to talk it up so much, and to put so much effort in whilst on tour, and during tour breaks, is abnormal for them. And of course, unreleased songs live. I think they genuinely meant it, and have genuinely been trying, and have either just not been able to get it together, or have, and just freaked out over it's quality. And by quality, I mean commercial quality, and by freak out, I mean concerns over correcting the deemed NLOTH relative failure.

So while everything is stacked against it happening, and anyone with any sense of U2 working habits or history, or who reads their 00s attitudes a certain way, would have to come down on the side of "No way, no chance", but I don't doubt it's what they've been trying to do, and they have had a lot of time - so you never know.

But early November? Without a peep otherwise?

I would hope U2 take a new look at the way they handle their releases. Their pattern is a little redundant. They could jam it all closer together. They don't need to release a single a near whole two months before an album. That is absolutely ridiculous. The other factors might be in how they see the album (not a 'major' U2 release, but a secondary, lesser release), or the songs on it (no stonking BD/Vertigo/Boots type rawk single that they seem to think is necessary, so not worth pushing so much?) and have decided that it only requires a smaller, tighter (time wise) push. Don't try and win over a huge market, or any new market, just make sure ALL of the base are aware of it. Plus, the touring schedule, and just what is possible in terms of when they are actually able to release the album, probably massively comes into play as well. Normally the single has a bit of room on it's own, then they burst everywhere promo wise, then the album itself takes the spotlight. They might simply not be able to go through that full cycle with everything so tight, so again, bunching it all up together rather then going through distinct phases could be the go.

Maybe.

Still, even if they are trying to keep it quiet as a mouse until the last moment, unless they intend on going digital only (unlikely), there's no way it can be totally kept under wraps for too much longer.

Chalk me up as a massive, massive skeptic, but not one who believes it is written in stone just because the timing from this point to that point doesn't add up.

well, in Paris, just before they played Mercy, B said something like "we're going to play a new song... we've got LOTS of them!" :hyper:

She got to talk to Dallas! Lucky!

I am confident we will get a new album before the NA leg next year. It seems the songs are going over well with the audiences. I mean they were singing along to North Star!

Now it would make the most sense to release one late this year, but since we haven't had word, I'm thinking it more and more likely it will be in the first half of next year.

Yeah, you could read a long way into that, or not at all.

I do think that U2 have really wanted to release something outside the normal schedule this time. To mention a wealth of material and a quick follow up when promoting an album is the norm, but to talk it up so much, and to put so much effort in whilst on tour, and during tour breaks, is abnormal for them. And of course, unreleased songs live. I think they genuinely meant it, and have genuinely been trying, and have either just not been able to get it together, or have, and just freaked out over it's quality. And by quality, I mean commercial quality, and by freak out, I mean concerns over correcting the deemed NLOTH relative failure.

So while everything is stacked against it happening, and anyone with any sense of U2 working habits or history, or who reads their 00s attitudes a certain way, would have to come down on the side of "No way, no chance", but I don't doubt it's what they've been trying to do, and they have had a lot of time - so you never know.

But early November? Without a peep otherwise?

I would hope U2 take a new look at the way they handle their releases. Their pattern is a little redundant. They could jam it all closer together. They don't need to release a single a near whole two months before an album. That is absolutely ridiculous. The other factors might be in how they see the album (not a 'major' U2 release, but a secondary, lesser release), or the songs on it (no stonking BD/Vertigo/Boots type rawk single that they seem to think is necessary, so not worth pushing so much?) and have decided that it only requires a smaller, tighter (time wise) push. Don't try and win over a huge market, or any new market, just make sure ALL of the base are aware of it. Plus, the touring schedule, and just what is possible in terms of when they are actually able to release the album, probably massively comes into play as well. Normally the single has a bit of room on it's own, then they burst everywhere promo wise, then the album itself takes the spotlight. They might simply not be able to go through that full cycle with everything so tight, so again, bunching it all up together rather then going through distinct phases could be the go.

Maybe.

Still, even if they are trying to keep it quiet as a mouse until the last moment, unless they intend on going digital only (unlikely), there's no way it can be totally kept under wraps for too much longer.

Chalk me up as a massive, massive skeptic, but not one who believes it is written in stone just because the timing from this point to that point doesn't add up.

That's basically been my outlook on this whole thing, minus much of the skepticism. The fact is, we're in uncharted territory for U2, here. They've been enthusiastically playing new material this leg, and they seem pleased by the reception to it. So far they haven't been "oh damn, now there's no time to release the new songs on an album/we're not pleased with the quality at this point, so we're shelving it and we should stop playing them." They've continued to play them at almost every show, and as cori mentioned above, there may even be more new new songs in the coming days. As well, they're continuing the tour into next year, making it three consecutive years in which they're promoting the same album, one whose sales have been less than stellar, by U2's standards, and has since slipped off the charts and probably out of the consciousness of the general public.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that they're going to sit on these songs they're currently playing until the next album - tour cycle, which would be around 2013 or 2014. None. I can't see it happening.

Call me a blind optimist, but all of this adds up to a new release in some form or another, and soon. They do seem to be playing things awfully close to the vest this time, though. I think they're going to take the stealthy approach and just spring it on us. I also wouldn't be surprised if some sort of online release precedes sales of hard copies. This stealth approach might also serve to prevent online leaks. And in the past few months, they've spoken about utilizing technology for releasing music.

Now, the one thing I can see that goes against all of the above happening is that the songs do seem to be in the early stages of being worked out, and I'm not quite sure that there would be time to get the final versions worked out to their satisfaction in time for a pre-holiday season release. Unless they just want us to think that because it's part of the whole conspiracy, lol.

I dunno. Just a few thoughts.

The versions they are playing on stage would in no way be any indication of where those songs are really at in the studio. Mercy and Glastonbury, maybe very very close, but I mean, they may have given Every Breaking Wave a decent overhaul since No Line, but not so reverse engineered it that all they have left is just a super simplistic little Edge/Bono diddle. Maybe they're tweaking or testing a different bridge out there, or something like that, but I bet a song like that is 90% or beyond. It might have never even changed post No Line. North Star, the same. Its old. Really old. And they work and work again, break down and build up, again and again, but how built up or complex simplistic and skeletal these live versions are, they in absolutely no way indicate the same level or stage in the studio.

U2 haven't totally lost their marketing basics. Play new stuff live and create a bit of a buzz = smart. Give everything about those new songs away = not smart. Leave people wanting. Glastonbury was meant to be debuted at Glastonbury, and maybe in relation to that had plans of it's own outside of any album, and may also still be considered separate, and not be a part of any immediate coming album plans. They know Mercy is well known already, cat's out of the bag. The other two? Unknown. Unheard. At least one a lock in for the next album, maybe still destined to be the first single. And they're the ones given the most bare, basic, give nothing away treatment. Cards held close to chest, and all that. Definitely.

And they work and work again, break down and build up, again and again, but how built up or complex simplistic and skeletal these live versions are, they in absolutely no way indicate the same level or stage in the studio.

That's a good point. Like I said, that was the one thing I couldn't reconcile with a potential release this year, but maybe it's a non-issue.

Hey. Just wanna say that I'm the one that took the picture in the hmv. Not just some fan. I sooo hope its true but I would be very surprised to get an album so soon, just took the picture to share with everyone, made me rather excited clearly. Wouldn't surprise me if it is an hmv screw up :)

Hey. Just wanna say that I'm the one that took the picture in the hmv. Not just some fan. I sooo hope its true but I would be very surprised to get an album so soon, just took the picture to share with everyone, made me rather excited clearly. Wouldn't surprise me if it is an hmv screw up :)
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised, either. Thanks for the info, anyway! :wave:

Just want to add this story from 2004:

I was talking to a fan on the AtU2 forum. He was psyched about the tracklist for the new U2 album shown on HMV's internet site.

I had just read the thread and therefore I recognized the tracklist. I pointed out to him that this tracklist was his very own. He had just dreamed it up a couple of days before and forgotten about it. HMV had cut and pasted it from the fan forum and the fan who made it, didn't even recognize it. It was pure speculation on his part and he was very active and had written a lot of posts since then.

A few hours later the same tracklist was everywhere on the internet all over the world including Japan.

So, even if you found a date for the new album in more than one internet store, we can't be sure.

But, anyway, it's always exciting when rumours start circulating :wave:

U2 has been surprising us lately by playing new songs live; who's to say that they won't surprise us with a new album soon? It just doesn't make sense to play unreleased songs on tour if they're not planning to release something in the near future. This could be their way of bypassing the radio/MTV as a way to promote new material, which doesn't play their stuff, anyway (at least in America). If not November, then it's got to be March.

See, that's part of the problem with my equation, too. I can't see them doing a non-holiday release, after the way that NLOTH underperformed. I suppose it's possible, but I don't see it as being likely.

True. U2 are such perfectionists that I'm concerned that they'll want to go back to the studio once they get a break and redo everything. :crack: Hopefully that won't happen this time.

I'm pretty optimistic for a November release. We know the band were in the studio this summer, they've mentioned (finished!) NLOTH leftovers and various other projects more than once, and they've been playing unreleased songs live. Those are some good signs.

Agreed with much of the above...considering they probably want to do a holiday release and that there's no way they're going to wait for November 2011 (they're playing new songs live, for Chrissakes!), I have my fingers crossed for a late 2010 release. I'll probably end up disappointed, but, what the hell, this is Interference and unreasonable hype is what we do best. :hyper:

Really, the new songs live things means everything to me.

To me the possibility of U2 playing 5 new songs live for a couple months and surprise-releasing an album in November is slightly more likely than U2 playing 5+new songs live for several months and releasing an album in Spring again, both of which are far more likely than U2 releasing an album in Nov. 2011 after having played half of that album live for over a year.

....there's no way they're going to wait for November 2011 (they're playing new songs live, for Chrissakes)...

- Womanfish
- I Trip Through Your Wires
Played live January 1986
Released March 1987 (ITTYW)

- Slow Dancing
Played live on radio November 1989
Played live in concert December 1989
Released November 1993

- most of "Boy" LP
Played live 1978/9
Released 1980

Not perfect precedents, but I don't think playing 4 songs live in August 2010 then waiting til November 2011 to release them will worry U2 too much. Especially since album sales won't really be impacted either way (and albums make up much less of U2's annual revenue compared to concerts).

But but but... there's still this at 3:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ5gcBB5dzI

"there's a whole set of songs we have for Australia, which will probably be played for the first time.."

I know it's Bono, but I can still hope a little bit right? Can't I please?? :reject: It's not hurting anybody to have some hope, even if it's wild irrational hope. :wink:

- Womanfish
- I Trip Through Your Wires
Played live January 1986
Released March 1987 (ITTYW)

- Slow Dancing
Played live on radio November 1989
Played live in concert December 1989
Released November 1993

- most of "Boy" LP
Played live 1978/9
Released 1980

Not perfect precedents, but I don't think playing 4 songs live in August 2010 then waiting til November 2011 to release them will worry U2 too much. Especially since album sales won't really be impacted either way (and albums make up much less of U2's annual revenue compared to concerts).

Those are poor examples, actually. What new band doesn't play songs from their first album before it's released? Slow Dancing - that's a song written for Willie that ended up being a b-side, twice. Never appeared on a U2 album. Womanfish was played once, that we know of. Trip wasn't played again till the day before JT was released.

I hardly think that any of these examples can be compared to the band road testing 5 new songs (6 including Soon) on a regular basis this tour.

As for sales, I can see them being somewhat negatively impacted by the album being released at the end of the tour, as opposed to during. Immediacy. Casual fans who have attended shows thinking "that's a great song, I've gotta buy that" will buy it if it's close to their show. After the fact? Not so much.

Agreed with much of the above...considering they probably want to do a holiday release and that there's no way they're going to wait for November 2011 (they're playing new songs live, for Chrissakes!), I have my fingers crossed for a late 2010 release. I'll probably end up disappointed, but, what the hell, this is Interference and unreasonable hype is what we do best. :hyper:

:up:

Also, songs like EBW and North Star I get the impression would be relatively complex arrangements, lots of noises and ambience. Perhaps the stripped back versions are because they havent taken months to learn a live arrangement, but still want to roadtest the idea of the songs rather than the full songs themselves

Also, songs like EBW and North Star I get the impression would be relatively complex arrangements, lots of noises and ambience. Perhaps the stripped back versions are because they havent taken months to learn a live arrangement, but still want to roadtest the idea of the songs rather than the full songs themselves

:up:
Great reasoning, it's exactly what I've been thinking.

Anyone remember the soundcheck in europe last year? Can't find any audio on my CPU, but is it any of the new ones we've heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom