MSG #1. Wow.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
Where to begin? What a show. I think a summary would be best.

1. Bono pulled a girl out of the audience who was holding a sign saying something like, "me+guitar=Knock, Knock, Knock on Heavean's Door." Bono said, "In American, it pays to advertise." I saw Bono asking her if she could play. I read his lips saying, "you promise?" Let me tell you, that chick rocked! She was great. They all ambled to the main stage where she met up with the rest of the band. Bono even let her take the mic for a verse. I don't remember what she said, but it was about New York being the best city in the world. The place went nuts. Bono and Edge were all smiles. After the song, Bono said, "That was Ruth from New York."

(these aren't in any kind of order)

2. Streets was just amazing. I don't know how to explain the energy.

3. Somebody threw a NYPD hat onto the stage. Bono wore it through an entire song.

4. Edge had a sequened NY Yankees shirt on. They did a close up of it in the middle of a song and everybody cheered. The band seemed like they were wondering what was going on.

5. Bono talked about the IRA disarming. He seemed really happy and wished them all the best.

6. Bono pulled up some guy from the heart onto the stage during, I think it was Stuck, so we could all see his tattoos. He had U2 on his bicep and then his entire back was covered in some U2 tattoo. There was a picture of the Joshua Tree on his left shoulder and then down his back was the word
"one" in about 20 different languages. Obsessed much?

7. New York was pretty cool even though I don't like that song.

8. Some girl got on stage towards the end of the show, perhaps Pride, and she started freaking on Bono's leg. This chick was hot. She was wearing an "I love NY" shirt that was all cut up. Bono then grabbed her and carried her to main stage. I looked like he was going to drop her at one point. After the song, the band exchanged smiles and Bono had a look like, "uh, I think that may have gone a bit too far." He then said, "you gotta watch those New York women."

9. And now, the highlight for me...One. Wow. Bono was crying. I wish I could remember exactly what he was saying, but I can't. It was something about how in New York, everybody fits in. This is the place where anybody can come to and not "feel foolish." His passion at the end of the song was something else. You could tell that he felt pain with New York. In addition to that, the names of the people who died in the planes and the FDNY and NYPD members who died were scrolling on the screens. That was powerful. People were crying. I was crying. It was a beautiful, healing kind of moment.

I've seen U2 five times now and it's never felt like this. Tonight was kind of a religious experience. I don't know if it has to do with the fact that I just left everything behind and came out here to grad school and then the WTC disaster or what. I really felt something different tonight.

Thanks U2. Thank you very much.

WOW!! that sounds absolutely amazing! thanks for the review
smile.gif

------------------
'listen as hope and peace try to rhyme' -*POP*

"Irish people are like Texans" -Bono, 4-3-01

What would Jesus Not do?

Well, it's taken me 9 and my final Elevation show to realize that the tip is where it's at!!! (others disagreed with me...)

I absolutely loved it! I was about 5 people to the Edge's side of the of the tip against the railing - top spot and no pushing whatsoever!

I queued up at 10am and was 110th in line...by 2 or 3 pm, there were still only about 150 people!!!!!!!

Where were you?

...wow, what a high I"m on!

[This message has been edited by ladywithspinninghead (edited 10-24-2001).]

Awakening just told us that the girl who played Knockin' on Heaven's Door was SadEyedLady!!!!

Foray, apparently Ruth is "SadEyedLady" on Interference and frequently posts on PLEBA. We got a short report over there as well, but hope to hear from Ruth herself about the experience!! Keep your eyes peeled!

HOW LUCKY CAN A GIRL GET??????????
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

Disco

Originally posted by foray:
Thanks. That was a really nice, no-frills review. Please tell us more about the chick who played the guitar!

foray

I am on the phone with Ruth now. She'll get the story to you in all its detail.

It is just UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE

Hey Awakening, is it true that Ruth was first in line? That is so awesome...
Oh and I just read that these celebrities were present:
* Denis Leary
* Gina Gershon
* Moby (in the heart)
* Christy Turlington
* Edward Norton
* Salma Hayek
* Steve Lillywhite

Rockin!

And for the people at home, who have been keeping themselves busy with our own controversies (looks like U2 solved the girl vs. guitar player debate) we want to know, what was the setlist? Did they play WOWY??

Sounds like it was a fantastic show, BTW. I am glad they made it back to NY!

Actually they've been playing "40" at the end of Bad since the beginning of the tour Debbie. I'm thinking that they if they play WOWY, it'll be at the last NY 3. Of couse w/ the extra verse!
smile.gif

No, I wasn't. But Ruth called me after the show.

Alice said you were there when I spoke to her before the show (I've been living vicariously) and I asked her to say hi to you for me.

I'll be there for the Saturday show. Will you?

Hey Gabriella (Awakening),

Well I went and spoke to Alice, Ruth for a while last night. They told me how you're joining them sat. night and will be staying along for the remainder of the ride - lucky you!

Um, no I don't think I'll be going to sat. night's show - I really should return to university one of these days! lol!!

But you will have the most amazing time...I guarantee you!

(I heard you made it to Slane in the end...haha! Pis, ton ami etait correcte avec ca? haha!)

I do not know if anyone saw the thread about a ticket giveaway for NJ, but I just have to say this:

Someone on Interference named Jara's Song had a competition for tickets he could not use for NJ. I happened to win the competition and received the tickets this morning. I just want it to be publicly known that what this person did was an amazing thing. I do not know many other fans that would be as creative as Jara's Song to come up with an essay competition and then actually award and send tickets out to another fan.

So to Jara's Song I give many thanks and kudos.

I was at the show in New York last night and just some brief comments are as follows:

The band sounds amazing. Since they have not played a show in about a week, Bono has his full voice, and is really using it. Highlights were definately Streets and Bad.

I was at the last MSG #2 and although I thought that was an amazing show, the spirit of this one rocked. The crowd was much more into it last night than in June and I do not think anyone sat down for even part of a song. I sat behind the stage (again) and could see all the GA's going nuts.

It was a VERY loose knit show. Three people got onstage (the dude with the one tattoo was very cool). They played a full version of Knockin' on Heaven's door with a girl named Ruth leading them (totally altered lyrics - but very cool)

It just seemed that the show was a bit short. Some staples were gone (In a Little While, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, With or Without you) all of which made the June concert amazing. There seemed to be "filler" (Staring at the Sun, What's Goin On, Peace on Earth). I thought some of Bono's comments about Africa, and the IRA seemed a bit out of place as the crowd expected a lot of pro-NYC banter, but it all just rallied the crowd. But of course, I am just being critical as we all should be.

I saw Moby rocking out in the Heart, I heard an amazing Sunday Bloody Sunday, and I saw U2.

A very touching moment for me was seeing the name of someone who was lost in the WTC disaster scroll across the roof of MSG. I had gone to his memorial service about two weeks ago and to see his name get "elevated" like that was indescribable.

An amazing show, many thanks to the outrageous crowd - yeah I saw the Interferencers with Glow Sticks. Very Cool. Also the "40" signs were hilarious.

Great Show.

Jara's Song - great fan.

Thanks

Ouizy

------------------
"...I'll see you again, when the stars fall from the sky, and the the moon has turned red over One Tree Hill..."

NYC RIP

What seats did you guys have? That shows was AMAZING! The house was burning up.....U2 was at the top of their game.....OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!!!

Best U2 show ever.....
smile.gif

Sorry guys, I gotta bring this one back to the top!

I was at MSG 1, and I am friends w/ Ruth (aka, SadEyedLady on Interference). She was #1 in line, and i was #2. We were at the outside tip of the heart (Bono pulled my flag onstage- woohoo!), along with my friend Khelia (#3 in line- she got pulled up on stage at MSG 2 to dance w/ Bono during Bad!!!). Anyway, Ruth had a sign asking to play Knockin on Heaven's door, and next thing i know Bono is asking her if she can really play and then pulling her up. It was AMAZING!!! she altered the lyrics to the verse he had her sing, and said something about New York being the best place. The whole crowd went NUTS when she did that- i think she got one of the biggest cheers of the night!!! The best thing is, after she got off stage, a guy came up to her and said he was an agent for William Morris. He said she was awesome and had great stage presence- and then he gave her his email address!!! AAAHHHHH!!!! And then we talked to someone whose friend works for VH1. Supposedly the president of VH1, John Sykes (?), was at the show, and kept talking about how great Ruth was. What a wonderful night for a fellow Interferencer!!!
smile.gif

Ruth will be posting the full story of her encounter on stage once she gets access to internet, but i just could NOT WAIT to post. it was truly amazing! U2 is so good to their fans- they are hands down the best band on the planet!!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom