Mofo, Helsinki Finland video?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flameandthefire

The Fly
OK, there are rumors that U2 filmed not only one PopMart tour gig (live at Mexico city), but two. The other PopMart tour gig that was filmed by U2 was August 9, 1997 Olympic Stadion gig in Helsinki Finland.

We all know that there is at least one video released from this gig. It is Please (directed by Maurice Linnane) and it can be found on The Best of 1990-2000 DVD limited edition Bonus DVD.

Several sources have told me that Mofo video from this Helsinki gig is also officially released. I can not find it anywhere. Can anyone confirm if this is true or not? Is there Mofo Helsinki PopMart video out there somewhere?

Thanks!

flameandthefire said:
OK, there are rumors that U2 filmed not only one PopMart tour gig (live at Mexico city), but two. The other PopMart tour gig that was filmed by U2 was August 9, 1997 Olympic Stadion gig in Helsinki Finland.

Aside from the half dozen(?) cameras used every night on Popmart, there were further film crews used at Mexico #1, Jo'burg, Rotterdam, South America and possibly Sarajevo/Edmonton.

Where was the MOFO "music video" filmed? it's in the bonus section of the 80-90 DVD.

u2fp

Re: Re: Mofo, Helsinki Finland video?

U2FanPeter said:

Aside from the half dozen(?) cameras used every night on Popmart, there were further film crews used at Mexico #1, Jo'burg, Rotterdam, South America and possibly Sarajevo/Edmonton.

Yeah, but Johannesburg and South America videos were filmed by local TV stations, not by U2. Helsinki gig (just like Mexico gig) was filmed by U2. Just look at that Please video on Best of 90-2000 Bonus DVD - so many camera angles - totally different quality if you compare it to Johannesburg or South America PopMart videos (yeah, I have these DVD video bootlegs).

Re: Re: Re: Mofo, Helsinki Finland video?

flameandthefire said:

Yeah, but Johannesburg and South America videos were filmed by local TV stations, not by U2. Helsinki gig (just like Mexico gig) was filmed by U2. Just look at that Please video on Best of 90-2000 Bonus DVD - so many camera angles - totally different quality if you compare it to Johannesburg or South America PopMart videos (yeah, I have these DVD video bootlegs).

I just rewatched Please(Helsinki) Mofo(music video on 90-00) and the Sarajevo 97 featurette(on 90-00)

The only extra camera angle used for Helsinki was the crane over the B-stage. Everything else was athe same angles used every night of the grainy Hi-8 footage. I highly doubt the Hi8 footage is from Helsinki beacuse of very noticable sync issues, un matched sunsets and I counted at least 3 different Stadiums. The video is also called a "mural" which means there was more than one source.

The MOFO video shares shares a number of shots from the "Helsinki" video. This may answer the initial question in this thread. I have some guesses as to what cities thay may be from, but I don't have any certainty.

Sarajevo only seemed to add a camera at the "goal line" at the opposite end away from the stage.

As for South America and Jo'burg. It may be cameras from the local MTV, but U2 would have say camera location and operators. While some of the live editing could be much better, I'm sure U2 have all the raw footage in their vault somewhere.

u2fp

The Mofo(90-00 DVD) seem to

Back
Top Bottom