'Miracle Drug' & 'Xanax & Wine' - anyone else think they may be different songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
'Miracle Drug' & 'Xanax & Wine' - anyone else think they may be different songs?

'Xanax & Wine' is supposed to have a killer-kick-in-the-butt riff throughout, which I take to mean it's quite the rocker. From what I understand, 'Miracle Drug' is not so heavy.... I'm hoping these are two different songs. Thoughts?

It's possible they are the same, but even the titles are vastly different if you think about their connotations. 'Xanax & Wine' seems to be more about someone who's escaping anxiety, since xanax relieves panic attacks and so on...and throwing "wine" into the mix would only fuel the problem, I'd think....where as 'Miracle Drug' seems more to do with something positive (helping dying Africans, perhaps?). They seem a bit different to me.

Last edited:
They're different songs, yeah. I'm actually not sure what happened to Xanax and Wine. I thought it was a good song musically and lyrically.

XanaX and wine is just an awesome title for a song and i hope it is a song title we'll see from the new album or one of the b sides.

There's never been a u2 song to start with X either.........history in the making.....

Xanax and wine is an amazing song title, just the title alone makes me want to hear the song. I think it might have turned in MD, but I hope their two different ones. All I head about xanax and wine was that it had the Bono had written some kick ass lyrics. Well, 5 of the songs are not yet confirmed on the album, so it might turn up.

My guess is that Miracle drug title is just a ironic version of Xanax and wine... Personally i like the latter better, i get Running to stand still vibes from that name.

radioskugga said:
My guess is that Miracle drug title is just a ironic version of Xanax and wine... Personally i like the latter better, i get Running to stand still vibes from that name.

Ahhhhhhhh thats it! I've been searching for a reference point. I was thinking Coldplay "Clocks"

did everyone miss Ignoreland say they were 2 different songs???

I missed it the first time i read this thread!!! Ignoreland, can you tell us anything about the Vertigo-Full metal jacket-Native Son connection???

Are they the same song? Which made the album, Full metal jacket or Native son? (assuming the two are different from Vertigo)

Well, I think they were different because Miracle Drug was a left over song from ATYCLB

Convoy said:
Well, I think they were different because Miracle Drug was a left over song from ATYCLB

really? never heard that before, thanks. Im glad their two different songs.

I've heard people saying that Full Metal Jacket is Vertigo, do you think that Bulldozer could be Vertigo instead?

(also I've noticed that Origin Of The Species seems to have dropped out of the running for the album when early on it seemed quite prominent..I think theres been some major directional shifts in the tone and sound of the album along the way...)

Black Math said:

(also I've noticed that Origin Of The Species seems to have dropped out of the running for the album when early on it seemed quite prominent..I think theres been some major directional shifts in the tone and sound of the album along the way...)

Maybe it changed names somewhere. The 6 confirmed titles that Q Magazine had came from nowhere, "City of Blinding Nights" or "A Man and a Woman"?? Maybe it turned into one of those. I just have a feeling FMJ did not turn into vertigo, and Xanax and Wine did not turn into Miracle Drug. We just have to wait and see if they will make the album.

RademR said:

really? never heard that before, thanks. Im glad their two different songs.

There was a list posted around. I remember seeing a picture of it on U2 Log of the Rock and Roll hall of fame and the picture was a thing that listed all the U2 tracks ever recorded and the left overs from various albums. And Miracle Drug was on the list of left overs from ATYCLB

Black Math said:
I've heard people saying that Full Metal Jacket is Vertigo, do you think that Bulldozer could be Vertigo instead?

Bulldozer=Vertigo? interesting....

could "Origin of the Species" = A Man and A Woman?:eyebrow:

Just to recap one thing since many don't have it right:

Apparently 'Full Metal Jacket' turned into 'Native Son'. Whether the song is still titled 'Native Son' remains to be seen.....

Also, I seem to remember Ignorland saying 'Yahweh' had the amazing lyrics, not 'Xanax & Wine', despite Interference having it in the reverse. Of course, I may be wrong...it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest!

I hope there is some heavy songs on this album because Bono shouldn't go around bragging about songs like Full Metal Jacket "The Mother of All Songs" lol and then not even put it on the album because it doesn't fit the album's theme. I love the Vertigo and Miracle Drug from what i can hear from the clips (awesome grooves) but hey are not Full Metal Jacket type of heavy that i imagined so please let there be a couple of heavier songs.

is there anyway of really knowing whether one song you've never heard and don't know the lyrics of has turned into another song you've never heard and don't know the lyrics of?

not that I'm not fond of a little speculation
:wink:

EvolutionMonkey said:
I hope there is some heavy songs on this album because Bono shouldn't go around bragging about songs like Full Metal Jacket "The Mother of All Songs" lol and then not even put it on the album because it doesn't fit the album's theme. I love the Vertigo and Miracle Drug from what i can hear from the clips (awesome grooves) but hey are not Full Metal Jacket type of heavy that i imagined so please let there be a couple of heavier songs.

I'm hoping for at least 5 big rock songs on the album, ABOY, Vertigo, and three others... (Bulldozer perhaps) I felt ATYCLB was a bit unbalanced; too many slowies.

Back
Top Bottom