Miami is...great music!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
I have to say, when I first bought Pop and listened to the whole album, Miami struck me as a terrible song with no point.

But, over the course of a couple years, I have come to the realization that Miami is both one of the darkest soundscapes in U2's extensive discography, and also one of the best.

How does one come to appreciate Miami? I think the answer is this: Do not think of it as a "song," but rather as a sonic atmosphere with the sole purpose of transporting you, the listener, to a different place, in this case the bright streets of Miami at night. The guitar flourishes, the scary high-pitched guitar that rings throughout the song, the heavy bass and drum groove (especially when it kicks in at about the middle of the song:drool: ), uber cool vocals, and what at first appears to be a silly and simple guitar chorus. When you turn this song up, this guitar chorus truly becomes awesome. I really feel like dancing whenever I hear it nowadays. The best I can describe it is as a Mofo type vibe. As for the lyrics, come on people! This song isn't about changing the world or expressing personal love/hate relationships, sure, but the goofy lyrics only enhance the feeling you're supposed to get when you realize that you truly are in a "fucked up world." So by criticizing the lyrics, I would have to say that yes, I think you're missing the point of the song.

Maybe you just don't feel comfortable in this weird, ethereal landscape, and I'm fine with that, but I believe that Miami is one of the hardest to digest, but sometimes one of the most rewarding pieces of music U2 has created.

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way!

I love the song , love the guitar riff and how it explodes.

Cuba would of sounded better

*click-click-pop*

Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba

*click-click-pop*

*bass line*

I think words and emoticons can actually be more melodic than Miami. :huh:

vaz02 said:
I love the song , love the guitar riff and how it explodes.

Cuba would of sounded better

CUUUUUUUUUBA!!!!! Scuba-duba!
CUUUUUUUUUBA!!!!! Scuba-duba!

I have an advice for everyone who hates Miami- give live version a try, especially the one from Leeds. Certainly it was one of THE highlights on Popmart. Bah-ba-ba-ba-ba fuckin-bah! :rockon:

FullonEdge2 said:
As for the lyrics, come on people! This song isn't about changing the world or expressing personal love/hate relationships, sure, but the goofy lyrics only enhance the feeling you're supposed to get when you realize that you truly are in a "fucked up world." So by criticizing the lyrics, I would have to say that yes, I think you're missing the point of the song.

Well said!!! :applaud:

I love love love Miami! :love:

..mainly because of how freaking cool the whole thing sounds.. starting with the bass & offbeat drum intro to the 'here comes car chase' guitar. :combust:

It's really about the music here for the most part, although I do enjoy some of the lyrics. But people who nitpick by stating the awful 'some places are like your auntie' or 'my mammy' lines seem to want to find something to complain about. I don't know. I'm willing to look past the bad lyrics and appreciate the music here. :drool:

Miami- a hidden gem! The definitive version is the one from Leeds.

Well its a lot better than that Will Smith track.

Coincidentally, its the second u2 song to share the same title as a song by a black artist ,,,,(wlctt does not count)

I'm not making any point, i'm just saying...

I agree with you all about it being amazing live. I'm listening to the Leeds version right now.

If you don't like the song, LISTEN TO MIAMI LIVE FROM LEEDS!!

I don't think it's a great song. Good idea for the instrumental, and a great point of view expressed in the lyrics, but the song lacks everything. Seems unworked, and they didn't really love the song. It fits, however, in Pop and in the Pop scene, and that's why it works, but I think it's one of the poorest songs in U2's catalogue.

Miami, my mammy :drool:

Miami is an aquired taste. It's unusual, but that's part of its charm. It's a postcard, a silly, goofy, postcard. The first half of the song is all buildup, building up to that incredible riff midway through the song.
There's a sort of repressed energy in the song, and there's something incredibly sexy about the song. Part of it's the bassline, of course, but an even bigger part of it is the lyrics in the latter part of the song. Getting hot in a photobooth, and all of that :wink:

i love it because of its structure or lack there-of.

plus it sounds cool and the lyrics seem more like a poem being recited.

Miami is one of my favorite songs from Pop, particularly live. Amazing stuff.

I also really enjoyed the reworked version of Bullet from that tour.. good stuff.

Oh what I would give to go back in time to stand in the crowd at a popmart show again..

jacobus said:
i always loved MIAMI...its a killer not a filler :rockon:

Totally agree.
Great songs, great lyrics, it was brilliant listening to Alan Ginesberg reciting the lyrics on the Popmart special just before he died.

Weather 'round here chopping and changing
Surgery in the air
Print shirts and southern accents
Cigars and big hair
We got the wheels, petrol's cheap
We only went there for a week
Got the sun, got the sand
Got the batteries in the handycam...

Her eyes are swimming pool blue
Dumb bells on a diving board
Baby's always attracted to the things she's afraid of
Big girl with the sweet tooth
Watches the skinny girl in the photo shoot
Freshmen, squeaky clean
She tastes of chlorine
(Miami), my mammy

Love the movies babe
Love to walk through the movie sets
Get to shoot someone in the foot
Get to smoke some cigarettes
No big deal we know the score
Just back from the video store
Got the car and the car chase
What's he got inside the case
I want a close up of that face
Here comes the car chase

I bought two new suits... Miami
Pink and blue... Miami
I took a picture of you... My mammy
Getting hot in a photo booth... Miami
I said you looked like a Madonna
You said maybe...
Said I want to have your baby... baby, baby
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
We could make something beautiful
Something that wouldn't be a problem
At least not in Miami

You know some places are like your auntie
But there's no place like
Miami, my mammy
Miami, my mammy
(Keys are in the car)
(Miami, my mammy)
Miami, my mammy

(Shake, shake down)
(Shake down...)

MIAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Mofo, Miami are my 2 faves from POP :rockon:

The version from Leeds please...thefonz_29@hotmail.com :D

I just re-read my two year old review of AB...it's effing hilarious!!! I completey disagree with most of the things I wrote! :lmao:

I dig Miami because like Mofo and the Fly,

it shows the non-politico Bono (which I don't always have a problem with)

It's a weird rock song. Take it or leave it. That's what I love about the Pop album. It's got balls. (or mamaries for the supergirls out there).

dietcokeofevil said:
I dig Miami because like Mofo and the Fly,

it shows the non-politico Bono (which I don't always have a problem with)

It's a weird rock song. Take it or leave it. That's what I love about the Pop album. It's got balls. (or mamaries for the supergirls out there).

Those supergirl mammeries always deserve a couple of these

:up: :up:

When I first bought the Pop cassette, Miami was the song I listened to the most. I just recently heard a live version of it and I love it even more now. Great song, I love that drum beat :drool:

Back
Top Bottom