MERGED-->One Step Closer Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think One Step Closer is a great song. It serves it's purpose well. It gives me the Zooropa feel. It reminds me of The First Time and The Wanderer. Awesome song!

One Step Closer is like a good wine. I've posted this analogy in at least three places already. Take time to drown in the song and appreciate its richness, people.

starsgoblue said:
His father.

Bono got the title from Liam Gallagher when they were talking outloud about Bono's father and where'd "it" would be that he's going when he passed. And Liam said, "Well, he's one step closer to knowing".

Actually, it was Noel. And besides, Liam isn't known for clarity or insight. He is, however, known for this:

bono_gross.jpg

One Step Closer is HTDAAB's Running To Stand Still

I think people will start appreciating this song more as the months go by. Just feel the rhythm. Listen how it builds up, and then fades away. It is this album's RTSS.

RTSS was my favorite song on my first listen to JT.

OSC does nothing for me right now.

I hope it grows on me.

i trhink every u2 album has a song like one step closer. but i think on joshua tree it was mothers of the disappeared... it reminds me a lot of the first time...

Re: One Step Closer is HTDAAB's Running To Stand Still

Mark Freedman said:
I think people will start appreciating this song more as the months go by. Just feel the rhythm. Listen how it builds up, and then fades away. It is this album's RTSS.

Nope, Running To Stand Still is a much better song.

Cheers,

J

Between the classic Edge chiming guitars and that slide guitar, holy crap this is a beautiful song. The way Bono sings the vocals is very, very cool, too. One Step Closer makes me wish I had a good pair of headphones to just absorb myself in it.

I know many people will think it's boring, like I think LPOE is boring, and so many people love that song. But like I've always said, an amazing thing about U2's music is how each song touches each individual differently. So many people love U2, but for completely different reasons.

It's one of the reasons we can have so many interesting debates in this forum.

I'm so happy this is not the closer. It perfectly fits after Crumbs and before OOTS! Nice song. Not outstanding but not declining the quality of the album either.

The One Step Closer appreciation thread.

I think this song is very underated. It's a great, atmosphereic, ometional song. It's very sad too, when considering what it's written. The chorus is pretty catchy too!

I Think of it as a companion to The First Time, which is one of my favorite songs off of Zooropa.

Come on guys, give this song the love it deserves!!!!

I'm just listening to it now thinking how much Edge's guitar sounds similar to "All I Want is You."

This song is so beautiful.

I personally love it. I think the problem with it is that it is underscored againist the backdrop of HTDAAB. It is quite minimal in relation to the other songs. I think, though, the simplicity of it makes the song.

Whew! I was worried I was the only one who loved this song. The album absolutely needed a song like this, as the rest is so big and anthemish...

tkramer said:
Whew! I was worried I was the only one who loved this song. The album absolutely needed a song like this, as the rest is so big and anthemish...

totally agree.
there are no forced dramatics in this song.
the intimate ringing of edge's guitar carrying the song gives it a truer emotional feel than some of the more "in your face" songs on this album IMO.
and i love bono's straight forward vocal on it.
sometimes subtlety carries enormous emotional power. i think this track is the hidden gem on HTDAAB.

One Step Closer

This is really a great song. i know a few people have been dissing it, but it's a terrific song.

It's like the anticipation of a christmas present that never gets opened.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, but it does to me so feck off. ;) kidding of course.

I love how it continually builds, but never really climaxes at any given point. It's the tantric sex of music.

It fits the album perfectly. It's placed perfecty in the album. Right after Crumbs (after that astonishing ending, what better than a calm and quiet song?) and just before OOTS... It's perfect.

One Step closer all the way.

The lyrical and emotive high point of the album. Thematically, the most important song on the album. Original production by Chris Thomas and Daniel Lanois. Additional production by Jacknife Lee. Mixed by Steve Lillywhite , Flood, and Jacknife Lee. The strongest song on the album, in my opinion.

I guess I'm in the minority here, because this tune I loved from the single first moment I heard it. And, it's only gotten better with listening.

I agree with Michale and Axver, and I'll add that if I'm ever on my deathbed, you can rest assured this song will be my second to last I ever listen to on this earth plane before I "let go".

This song is a GREAT album track. It is really atmospheric, has the beauty of The First Time, but that guitar in the middle is superb, sends a shiver down my spine. Don't know about anybody else but the Bono vocal kinda reminds me of Bruce Springsteen, the way he sings it, not in a bad Brucie way but just in the way he delivers the vocal. Real great stuff.

One Step Closer under rated?

In my opinion this song is one that has been unfairly treated here in this forum. It sounds like something that could have been on Passengers mixed with The First Time off Zooropa.

The lyrics are truely a thing of beauty...the music and melody mixed together make for a song that sounds like the end of life is near but you are stepping into heavens door and you are "one step closer" to knowing what comes next.

I think this track is beautiful.

Definitely. I've really grown to love OSC. Michael G was totally right in saying that in time, it's going to become one most loved tracks on the album.

I totally agree, and I'd like to restate my favourite analogy regarding this song. One Step Closer is like a good wine: it is subtle in beauty and rich in texture, and you need to take the time to stop, sample its elements, and explore its nature and intricacies. It's a soothing, wonderful song, and if you listen to it on a superficial level, you will fail to comprehend its quality. Immerse yourself in the song, become lost in its atmosphere, and you will hopefully be more than just one step closer to appreciating how much of a gem it is.

Back
Top Bottom