MERGED-->New Song titles - Q Magazine + New song titles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
City of Burning Lights! :love:

I gotta hear this! I wonder if this is about an actual city (they always do places and I love that) or a spirtual place. Very UF-like and Joshua Tree like.

I live in a city of buring lights where the streets have no name! :D

I was very patient last month but now as we get closer and closer and I keep reading snippets of news here and there, I just want it to be late November.

All this teasing is killing me!!!

Re: New Song titles - Q Magazine

My thoughts on the titles ...

Crumbs From Your Table - Please let this be political. PLEASE. Just the title itself is enough to get me excited about a political record.
City Of Burning Lights - Surrender, 2004 Remix? I HOPE SO.
Man And Woman - Nah, don't really like this one. Seems like it could relate to Original Of The Species, though. I just don't want it be some sappy track. That said, I hated All I Want Is You at first.
Yahweh - I'm a theological nerd, so WOOHOO!
Vertigo - I think this is an AWESOME name and I am drooling away here.
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - While I like this, I think it may be a bit long and too similar to Stuck. We'll see.

'crumbs from your table' sounds like it might be a track about AIDs / Poverty in Africa. Which could be a really great song, and so could also get people against Bono saying 'Ha! He wants our money, but look at him living the high life! If he really wanted to be a modern Buddha he should give all his money away to them and live in a tent and off of bare bones!' which is something I've heard from friends who hate U2 before. And I'm sure Henry Rollins would say the same thing haha.

No, dang it. Coffee cake. But it needs to be a moist one. See, a great coffee cake is like a good song. At its heart it has a moist, edible core. Subtle. And the topping is extranvagantly filled with deliciousness. Don Rivers understood this, and that's why his 'Cooking Cake with Don' television show did so well. I don't know if the Edge has ever made a coffee cake, but if he has, it was probably a masterpiece of culinary art.

I'm sure Tough and Somtimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are the same song. I found the following lyrics for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own at u2wanderer.org:

You think you're so tough
You think you've got the stuff
You're telling me and everyone you're hard enough
You don't have to put up a fight
You don't have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches for you tonight

Last edited:
kevink said:
I'm sure Tough and Somtimes You Can't Make It On Your Own are the same song. I found the following lyrics for Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own at u2wanderer.org:

You think you're so tough
You think you've got the stuff
You're telling me and everyone you're hard enough
You don't have to put up a fight
You don't have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches for you tonight

I think your right, because Bono sang Tough on his father's funeral, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own is also reported to be written for his dad. Another connection.

So tough=SYCMIOYO

And All Because Of You=Origin(al) Of The Species

The way I see it, here are what the songs will be like:

Vertigo - first single, rocking tune, very catchy, first track on CD.

Sometimes... - A ballad similar to "Stuck,'' and when they do it live, everyone will sing along with the chorus.

City Of Burning Lights - a grand standout track with a long guitar intro (similar to "Where The Streets Have No Name) with inspirational lyrics and extremely catchy chorus. Probably going to be at least five minutes long. If/when released as a single, this will be huge, and become an anthem to New York.

Yaweh - A prayer put to music (similar to "Peace On Earth"), no real singing, just Bono speaking words, poeticly. Egde on "whoah oh oh's" in the background. Also, some crazy guitar riffs and solos in between verses.

Crumbs From Your Table - a quick "Wild Honey" or "In God's Country" type track with The Edge doing harmony, only about three minutes long.

Man & Woman - A slow song like "Grace." Very soul and R&B, with smooth romantic lyrics. Not a typical U2 song. Bono's "gospel" voice from "The Fly" and "Numb" comes back.

Well, those are my predictions, and who knows what they will actually be like!

Last edited:
Here's what I predicted earlier today on my LiveJournal. It's more detailed than my thoughts earlier.

"Ever since I first heard Vertigo rumoured as an album title, I've maintained that it would be awesome for anything - album, single, or tour. Crumbs From Your Table sounds like it could be a really powerful political rocker, and I'm sure Bono has said a similar phrase in speeches about AIDS. City Of Burning Lights INSTANTLY makes me think of Seconds ("Oh, the city's a-light ... the city is bright, it's brighter than day tonight") and The Unforgettable Fire ("These city lights, they shine as silver and gold, dug from the night") and could also be a real rocker. It definitely makes me think of War, and would hopefully indicate the return to the feel of the early albums that we've been promised. Man And Woman ... I really don't like this one, but I didn't like All I Want Is You at first either. Indeed, I still think it's a pretty dodgy title. Anyway, I'll bet Man And Woman is a ballad and I won't initially be keen on it. Yahweh? I am so thrilled that this title rumour has been essentially confirmed. Being a theological nerd, it is the PERFECT title. I'm expecting a very insightful track, though probably not exactly a rocker. And now we come to Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own. Considering the fact it was written for Bono's father and reportedly sung at his funeral, this will be a moving track. Just from the bits and pieces we know, I think this will be the One/Stay/One Tree Hill of this decade."

I like vertigo as a title

the rest .... well, I don't like

I don't care that much about titles though

john1800 said:
"Crumbs From Your Table" -- see Mark 7:28

I looked this up. This is what my RSV says: But she answered him, "Yes, Lord; yet even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."

The story appears to be about Jesus dealing with a woman's child who was possessed by "an unclean spirit." She wants Him to cast the spirit out, but He tells her to feed the kids first, don't give the kids' bread to the dogs. She says the above to Him, and then He tells her that her daughter isn't possessed anymore.

:huh:

Like many Biblical stories, this one makes no sense to me. Perhaps someone can explain this?

Last edited:
Well, I love Yahweh and City of Burning Lights, but Man and Woman really sucks. I still don't know about Crumbs From Your Table. Really weird.
All Because of You IS NOT Origin of the Species. The Q reporter wrote an article two years ago and he heard three seperate songs. ABOY and OTS were two different song. The third was Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own/Tough. It was described as a "skyscraping rocker", so I wouldn't compare it to Stuck. I really hope that Vertigo and Native Son are not the same. Somehow I expect more. And "the greatest U2 song ever" is here! Bring it on, Yahweh! I think Sky Hawk turned into Vertigo.

My understanding of Mark 7:28 comes from these two facts: the Jews are God's chosen people, and the woman is a Greek, or more importantly a Gentile (AKA not a Jew). Since the Jews are God's chosen people, they are the first to get "the bread," but even the Gentiles can find salvation.

Flying FuManchu said:
~Scratches head, and wonders why people say they want such and such song to be on the new album when none of these songs have really been heard by anyone or even released?

My thoughts exactly. I don't like using this word, but all this speculation is a bit retarded.

Just wait for the songs to show up and enjoy them. Just because a song has a better title, it doesn't mean that it's a better song. Just trust the band. They know what they are doing.

Ya, I dont see that comparisons of "Sometimes You Make it on Your Own" to "Stuck" since it was called a rocker in an article before, and with those lyrics I dont see it being a ballad. I don't think people should get too into judging the new album material based on song titles of songs we havent even heard yet. If you gave me the tracklisting of Achtung Baby before I heard it, It's not like I would have been blown away and said "wow, this is awesome. This is definetly going to be my favorite album of all time!"

why oh why do people have opinions like 'i think this title sucks, or that title sucks'...get a grip people. Achtung Baby is a shite name and that album was amazing, i think a lot of you are harking on about the past too much, i hope this album wont be trying to repeat the past, i doubt it will, it may just complete the past...tie up some lose ends from past works...i hate to say it but Joshua Tree dies half way through, not sure why people go on about it, rattle and hum was dire and UF, althought a great album lacked 'completeness' too, U2 have never made a perfect album, one that doesn't die at some point, even Achtung Baby dies...i think we've got an album coming that may actually be complete, it says 'this is us, were are u2 and this is what WE sound like' . we have spent many years exploring ourselves, our past work was just bits of the puzzle not totally fitting in, i have a good feeling about this album. on an other note some of the fans on these pages sound like they are getting a bit long in the tooth, u2 needs to freshen up the senses, breathe some new air into this forum...

Like my post before yours, EricBunny, I def see your point. But as for achtung baby dying, the last three songs are "Ultraviolet", "ACROBAT", and "Love is Blindness." Where, in your opinion, does it start to fade away?

the only "weak" number on Achtung Baby is So cruel and Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World. And that are still very good songs!!! Achtung Baby NEVER dies....

Ultra Violet-Acrobat-Love is Blindness is the best closer combo I have ever heard in my life. These songs fit perfectly. The first two are in my top 10. The third is also, but only in its live rendition. So, PLEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASE. Don't talk about Achtung dying. And actually, I've been thinking about the title and it's not so dumb. It was a metaphor for the Berlin Wall and all the crazy stuff that's been happening in Germany while they were there recording the album. And it is original. I wouldn't change the title.

ericbunny said:
i hate to say it but Joshua Tree dies half way through

Yeah, One Tree Hill and In God's Country are the first two tracks, huh?

UF, althought a great album lacked 'completeness' too

Come off it. UF is the only U2 album with perfect flow.

even Achtung Baby dies

Right with you there. TTTYAATW and Ultra Violet are pretty disappointing. UV is the most over-rated track amongst fans - it puts me to sleep.

Axver said:

Yeah, One Tree Hill and In God's Country are the first two tracks, huh?

Come off it. UF is the only U2 album with perfect flow.

Right with you there. TTTYAATW and Ultra Violet are pretty disappointing. UV is the most over-rated track amongst fans - it puts me to sleep.

Actually, TTTYAATW starts you out with a nice relaxed feeling, Ultraviolet gets you sort of pumped up to follow up (a great song by the way), which leads right into the greatest of them all--Acrobat!

positively perfect

Back
Top Bottom