MERGED ---> NEW album has been stolen... + Edge speaks... + Okay who.. + Stolen CD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kinda funny the way press quotes from the Edge and Paul M. just appeared within an hour of one another. Why make 2 press statements. Wasn't one enough?

The Edge could be singing....

"Where, O where could my CD be/
The wrong hands took her away from me/
She's gone to wrong place so I have to be on ebay/
Or Else Bono would make me leave this world"

No Offences to the talented one- but this is so funny :wink:

Also, whoever took it HAD to know it wasn't just going to go unnoticed. They're taking a HUGE risk, so what could be the possible reward? Just to hear the tracks? The ego inflation of being the one who releases it to the world?

Someone is sitting in a Dublin office, waiting for the ok from the band to place the songs on a p2p service. The band are still writing up their next press statement, expressing their outrage at the release of their unfinished work. Once that release is written, we'll get to hear 3-4 new songs.

If it's a publicitystunt there not really letting the songs leak.
Just tell the police the CD's stolen or lost
and you have worldwide advertisement without any risk...

P.S.: maybe they left it in Dublin
and when they return: "Oh, here it is..."

GO ALBUM GO !!!

Last edited:
except that its totally against the law to knowing file false police reports in most countries.

My gut feeling is that the leak is real. HOWEVER, that said, they could try to milk the news for what its worth. If the new tracks really are out in the wild, then there's not a whole lot u2 can do once they are on the net. Might as well make lemonaide out of lemons!

I haven't read any quotes from police officials, only band related people. Just cause U2 say the police are involved, doesn't mean they are.

MrBrau1 said:
I haven't read any quotes from police officials, only band related people. Just cause U2 say the police are involved, doesn't mean they are.

Police must be involved.
Otherwise the French police would've denied it 'cause
of the (media)people calling/asking about it all the time

GO ALBUM GO !!!

Publicity stunt? :no:
Calling in the police and making press statements such as above does not suggest so. atU2.com says the theft happened back on Tuesday night.

(BTW what did McGuiness mean "recording HAS BEEN going well". Didn't they finish the album?!?)

They would not allow such carelessnes I'm sure, just think what happened when AB tapes were stolen or how quickly they reacted when ES demo was to be played on the radio.

Since some have been asking what damage to U2 could happen, remember POP was rushed because of the leaks (not to mention a possible decrease in sales). What possible good would it be to purposly leak anything 4+months prior release?

Last edited:
It actually bothers me that it's on U2.com so quick.

They never have news on so quick, sometimes if at all.

Something just doesn't smell right to me.

ramblin rose said:
It actually bothers me that it's on U2.com so quick.

They never have news on so quick, sometimes if at all.

Something just doesn't smell right to me.

you're absolutely right. and, not to mention it, wouldn't they want to keep this as hush hush as possible? After all, publicity = more downloaders.

Methinks it's a ruse.

U2girl said:

(BTW what did McGuiness mean "recording HAS BEEN going well". Didn't they finish the album?!?)

yeah really.
McGuiness better lay off the Guiness and recognize that the album is finished.
Drunken manager.

well, i'm starting to think that if the leaks turn out to be a significant portion of the album, then it's very real.

if, on the other hand, the "leaks" are the new single, and maybe some promotional b-sides, then it well be fake.

every time there's a new album out something gets "lost." october lyrics, the axtung baby tapes, bono's laptop, now this CD... i think it's just a big scam and publicity stunt by the band, frankly. i mean, bono's been playing the songs for everyone who happens to be near his car, so why not "leak" a few songs.

C'mon, people, these guys are almost SCREAMING "PLEASE, LEAK OUR NEW ALBUM" in the past 2 weeks!!! Playing out loud the album at HQ, taking the cd to a photoshoot (!!!!!!!!!)...

U2log.com: (the RTE link)

"Police in southern France have begun an investigation into the disappearance of a rough cut of the forthcoming album by Irish rock group U2.

Police said the band members visited police headquarters in the city of Nice to make statements about the matter.

It is not clear if the recording was lost or stolen. It went missing during a photo shoot at a recording studio in the city.

20 people who were present at the studios last night were being questioned."

Sounds like an awful lot of trouble to go through to deliberately leak, if you ask me. And yes, putting out false police inquiries is punishable by law.
Let's see, they might have to: release the single and album early - finish the barely started vacation early and subsequently start the tour early. 4+ months before the release, even to disrupt the careful planning of the album/tour planning.
Yep, very good reasons to leak.

Last edited:
well, i searched on soulseek, and nothing is there. i really do have the feeling that we may hear 1 or 2 songs out of this, but not the whole album. depends on how many the band wants us to hear.

elfyx said:
Also, whoever took it HAD to know it wasn't just going to go unnoticed. They're taking a HUGE risk, so what could be the possible reward? Just to hear the tracks? The ego inflation of being the one who releases it to the world?

Jeesh! I'm sorry! I'll give it back! You know, all the things I do for you guys...

Last edited:
Man, what excitement!

If it really is an accident, then shame on U2! Who carries around valuable materials like that and then leave them unwatched? These guys have been in the business for 20 years!!! Wise up, boys, the rest of the world is not a sweet and well meaning as you four are.

If it's not an accident, then bravo U2! I look forward to downloading the single!

Just remember everyone, there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

- oh look edge, a beach ball...
- where?
- where what?
- where's my new album?

:huh: :huh: :huh:

not good one...

madonna's child said:
Just remember everyone, there really is no such thing as bad publicity.

My thoughts exactly!

What is the worst case? Nothing happens, everything comes out when expected.

What is the best case? We hear a few songs, the album comes out a lot sooner than planned. (Didn't something like this happen with Radiohead's latest? It got leaked so they pushed the date sooner.)

As for which songs make the cut, I'm not too worried. I'm a B-side junkie anyways. Just as long as they put them all out one way or another.

This is all really too bad (the stolen cd), but I'm not gonna cry about it. :hmm:

I guess that if songs haven't appeared on the net within the next 24 hours that will be the last we've heard about this
:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom