MERGED ----> Mos Def takes a shot at Bono. + Doesn't this piss you off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would still like to see what mos def has actually DONE to uplift the situation of the world's poorest Black people more than Bono or anyone else in the international whiteband movement.

It's just a matter of common sense - unless you are doing more (and are being more effective) than someone else to improve a situation, then you really have no basis on which to criticize another.

When mos def can prove he is more successful in his antipoverty measures than Bono - I'll believe him.

Until then, he needs to simply walk on.

And the sooner the better for me. :rockon:

Oh, for fuck's sake. :rolleyes:

You know, Bono just can't win. Either people are complaining that he isn't there to save the world, or they're complaining that he really is saving the world. Make up your mind, people!

miss becky said:
Oh, for fuck's sake. :rolleyes:

You know, Bono just can't win. Either people are complaining that he isn't there to save the world, or they're complaining that he really is saving the world. Make up your mind, people!

:bow:

I give too. If he's fighting for Third World nations, he's a pain in the ass. But if he's not fighting for YOUR specific cause, then he's a bastard. The man can only do so much. Should he take on every single cause around the world? If Mos Def was really a "hero", HE would take on this cause.

Oh, and I thought I saw U2 perform in not one, but TWO events to raise $$ for Katrina victims. So how exactly is Bono not helping?

There's a phrase we use for fools like that: "Suck my balls, beotch." :wink:

Jamila said:
I would still like to see what mos def has actually DONE to uplift the situation of the world's poorest Black people more than Bono or anyone else in the international whiteband movement.

It's just a matter of common sense - unless you are doing more (and are being more effective) than someone else to improve a situation, then you really have no basis on which to criticize another.

When mos def can prove he is more successful in his antipoverty measures than Bono - I'll believe him.

Until then, he needs to simply walk on.

And the sooner the better for me. :rockon:

some people don't feel the need to advertise their charity to the world to prove what a great person he/she is.

anyone who puts themselves in the public eye is open to be criticized. bono is not god. he is not above reproch. people are allowed to disagree with him. he has become the public face of the "celebrity with a cause." so an aritst with half a brain who's angry about the lack of an immediate response to the emergencies in new orleans may chose to use the most public figures in their art.

"Don't get it twisted, man, I dig U2"

you all have it very much twisted.

and lastly, this topic has absolutely nothing to do with the tour and should probably be moved to everything you know is wrong

Headache, I'm not sure what there is to get twisted. While he says that he "digs U2," isn't it pretty clear that he's railing Bono et. al for not putting as much into NO as he did into Africa? It's almost like he says the "I dig U2" part just to cover his bum. :scratch:

It sounds pretty clear to me, though I'm certainly open to seeing it differently if there's another way... :shrug:

"Don't get it twisted, man, I dig U2"

Not that this has anything to do with Bono and his activism, which is what he's adressing in the rest of those lines.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
you're scratching the surface but you're not quite there yet...

again, the key is in the "don't get it twisted" line...

bono was just used because he's become a poster boy for causes around the world. not because he's bono.

mos def is a black man who supports the one camapign and all the plights in africa. he has no beef with bono. his anger came from when people from the ghetto... where he also grew up (in new york, not in new orleans)... were being ignored and left to die while no one did anything.

again... don't get it twisted. he's not trying to take a shot at bono and/or u2... he's taking a shot at the entire establishment for being slow to respond to this emergency, which victimized mostly poor african-americans.

i highly doubt bono will care when he sees this or hears about it, if he hasn't already, and frankly, neither should you.

I'm sorry, but I don't come to that interpretation at all reading Mos' words. If the "don't get it twisted" line is supposed to mean ALL of that, then why on earth is he talking about "where the f**k is Sir Bono and his famous friends now". Why single out Bono? If he's attacking the politicians, then focus on that - don't single out the one man who's done so much charity work it sickens people.

God Part III said:

:lol:

I can't take this seriously.

I find Africa a thousand times more important than Katrina. Sorry folks.

I also read that Katrina has generated far more in donations than what was given during 9/11 and the recent tsunami. So if Mos has a problem, it shouldn't be with Bono or those who donated.

Utoo said:
There's a phrase we use for fools like that: "Suck my balls, beotch." :wink:
:lmao::lol:

Originally posted by Chizip
Bono doesn't care about black people.

Chizip... :laugh: :laugh:

Why single out Bono? If he's attacking the politicians, then focus on that - don't single out the one man who's done so much charity work; it sickens people.

Yep, you do have a point. Personally, I have a huge amount of respect for Bono, as an ''artist'' and as a humanitarian. Thinking about it seriously, though, I can't fault what Mos Def has to say. I reckon that Headache is right, and that the words of his song refer to a much greater Power That Be than just Bono, or even Bono and the whole of the LiveAid/8 bunch. The man is angry and is telling it as he sees it.

I may be completely wrong, but I think Bono would be fairly disgusted if he knew that we were sitting here having this pointless argument instead of addressing the much wider issue that Mos Def's words have raised, and looking at ways to assist the people who need our help.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh.

Why is this a frickin' issue? Who cares if Mos Def is singing about Bono in a negative way. He DOES have a point. While I don't think Bono is wrong for not being more involved with New Orleans, his choice, Mos Def does have a point. I see both sides, but to gripe about the fact that someone is bruising your idol is just ridiculous.

I'll agree everyone has a right to their opinion...
But I don't appreciate someone who does it with ignorance. Does anyone know if Mos Def has family in LA? Because I do! They all live in NO and surrounding suburbs. While I am pissed at the lack of order and response to this crisis. If Bono and co. had jumped on this, I may have become annoyed. Misplacing my anger for those at fault. (local, state and federal gov.) My family has never voted for a Rock Star rep. We vote for those to support and represent us in gov. So, what am I saying? I guess "Sling the shit where it'll stick!" Anger begets anger, not progress.
Sorry for the rant...

looks like B-Dawg is going to have to bust some caps off in Mos Def's ass like he did to Suge Knight. No one disses B-Dawg yo.

Back
Top Bottom