MERGED--> itunes box set is listed.... + Itunes Complete U2 tracklisting here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it is a bit redundant for anyone who has invested in the albums already, but being able to buy the songs individually makes it allllll worth it to me. Nice obscure b-sides! And now I can replace that crappy version of U2-3 I've got floating around on my hard drive. Hooray!

Guess what homeboys, you can buy single individual tracks... so stop whining!!!

kakvox said:
Yep, 446 songs definitely in the itunes store. I am listening to clips of the unreleased songs right now (levitate, love you like mad, smile, flower child, beautiful ghost, jesus christ, xanax and wine(fast cars sort-of), ABOY(sort of different), native son (like a version of Vertigo), Yawweh (somewhat different), SYCMIOYO (slower, different guitar). Some cool stuff that i really want!!

Now, I heard just clips, but sounds good!:drool: :wink: :drool:

So Xanax And Wine is Fast Cars? I thought they said they only bashed it out last day in the studio...yet the song was mentioned a long time ago..

Here's some stuff that I can think of off the top of my head that I migh have thought would have been included:
Staring at the Sun (Brothers In Rhythm remixes)
Walk On (Hallelujah mix)
In a Little While (NOW remix)
Be There (Joshua Tree outtake)
Wire (dub mix)
Night and Day (Youth's remix) (unless this is in fact the same as the Twilight mix, which has long been the speculation)
Some of the other New Year's Day and SBS mixes
Can't Help Falling In Love (mystery train mixes)
Stay (movie version)
Beat on the Brat
Don't Take your Guns to Town

I'm sure there's more...

There's all kinds of stuff I'm surprised isn't included, like the live videos (Red Rocks full, Slane, for example), a Bono vocal on The Wanderer...
Still, I'm excited to hear the truly unreleased stuff. Glad it looks like you can buy those one at a time... how long till itunes is in Canada?

There must be tonnes of stuff in the archives. I remember sometime around Achtung Baby reading an article that said they had recorded a version of Bruce Cockburn's If I Had a Rocket Launcher.

It's pretty exciting to think about hearing the newly released tracks, and to have some better quality copies of some of the stuff I've only got on vinyl.

I bet there is a wealth of songs from Achtung Baby/Zooropa sort of times alone..and let us not forget that they did 100 songs for ATYCLB and they've only put a few on this itune release...

Anyway, has anybody heard the unreleased songs yet?

Last edited:
Why do some say 'work only' on them? ('Levitate' & 'Love You Like Mad')

techie, i am jealous. i was too cautious and now i'm missing out

i was just thinking - this doesn't include any singles that have not been released yet - will they add them later? if we dl today will we have to pay extra (say for mercy if it is a b-side of ABOY or another single) to get all those? i wonder if it would be best to wait.

i was shocked, too that "be there" wasn't there. i understand about the covers and bono and the boys solo projects, but come on! is it possible it will be a release someday?:sad: :sad:

u2popmofo said:
Why do some say 'work only' on them? ('Levitate' & 'Love You Like Mad')

Work only means you have to buy the entire box set i.e the complete work.

The only things that are listed right now like that are the early demos, one of the discotheque remixes (lol) and those two tracks you mentioned.

The covers being omitted is just crap. I understand publishing and all that, but if they're going to call it complete and include those singles they should be complete.

The come ons for us long time fans is not enough especially for crap AAC encoding which equates to about a 128k MP3 rip. I ripped the albums at 256 and have em on my I-Pod, why should I buy this when I have the shows that are on here in brilliant non MP3 source. Same with the b-sides.

At least some of the unreleased stuff is available by itself.

Hmmm.. This is a little interesting. If you right click on any song in itunes and choose 'get info' you can see some of the notes on the songs. So, for Beautiful Ghost, William Blake is listed as composer with U2. For Smile, somebody named Simon Carmody.

So basically 6 totally unique tracks that nobody has?
Let's put it this way, I have every song that is available in some fashion and all I see is 6 tracks I don't have. (not including live tracks or alternative mixes)

To the person who asked, 60 seconds in Kingdom Come is an instrumental B-side, I think it's UF era, and it's pretty cool.

So you can download them as stand alone mp3's?
I am hoping you can. Obviously not all of them are available, some are 'work only'. But for the others, can you download them as mp3's without owning an ipod?

lemonsquare said:
Hmmm.. This is a little interesting. If you right click on any song in itunes and choose 'get info' you can see some of the notes on the songs. So, for Beautiful Ghost, William Blake is listed as composer with U2. For Smile, somebody named Simon Carmody.

.Blake is a poet, but he's also an artist, so I don't know what the deal is there. Perhaps he does some spoken word to some music .

Simon Carmody:

this is from wanderer.org
Carmody was a member of the "Village", a group of kids in Dublin who hung out together throughout their teens. Bono was also a member of the Village, as was his often cohort, Gavin Friday. Carmody was part of the band The Golden Horde, which recorded a single for U2's label, Mother Records in the mid-80s.

U2DMfan said:
[B.

So you can download them as stand alone mp3's?
I am hoping you can. Obviously not all of them are available, some are 'work only'. But for the others, can you download them as mp3's without owning an ipod? [/B]

Not as MP3's. Itunes doesnt do MP3. It uses Apple's proprietory format called AAC. It's basically Apples MP3 however there are limits to the tracks. You can only burn them like 6 times or so and then they wont work and you need to use Itunes to listen to them if you want to hear on your computer.

I believe Winamp may have an AAC plug in but its still crap.

Itunes sucks, its the best place for legal downloads because of selection but the AAC format is equivalent to about a 128k - 160k (at best MP3 rip)

There is a way around AAC though, download them, use a burn and then rip the track off the burned CD and then you can do whatever you want with them. Technically illegal but fuck Apple, they suck.

okay, so not trying to be an ass here, but unless I shell out hundreds of dollars for music I already own, I am not going to be able to hear some of these songs? Oh well.

I guess I'll figure out a way to get them one way or the other. I am really interested in those ATYCLB leftovers.

Man, did they ever record a shit-load of music in that session. Should have just been a double album.

U2DMfan said:
okay, so not trying to be an ass here, but unless I shell out hundreds of dollars for music I already own, I am not going to be able to hear some of these songs? Oh well.

I guess I'll figure out a way to get them one way or the other. I am really interested in those ATYCLB leftovers.

Man, did they ever record a shit-load of music in that session. Should have just been a double album.

Nah I've heard the stuff already on the unreleased crap and its unreleased for a reason, it shouldnt have been a double album by what Ive heard so far.

You'll be able to get these tracks soon no doubt. Someone will buy it and they'll be available illegally, thats what always happens with I-Tunes.

I really think this set is shit for the majority of us hardcore fans but I understand its really not intended for us. I just wish the unreleased stuff was more plentiful.

I even have the damn live shows they released in this set (Boston 81 and Dublin 12/31/89). Just for a hoot i purchased one track of each off I-Tunes and the quality is comparable if not exactly the same as my bootlegs.

They shouldnt have advertised 446 or how ever many tracks it was either, when at least 50 of them are repeated tracks.

I'm bitching a lot about this set when the plus side is definitely better than the negative. I was just hoping for more meat and less fat on this bird for us fans that have collected everything the band has ever released.

I'm shocked any of the hardcores are bothering to buy it, when the quality is less comparable to rips you can do on your own and are entirely legal.

Last edited:
bonosleftone said:

Not as MP3's. Itunes doesnt do MP3. It uses Apple's proprietory format called AAC. It's basically Apples MP3 however there are limits to the tracks. You can only burn them like 6 times or so and then they wont work and you need to use Itunes to listen to them if you want to hear on your computer.

I believe Winamp may have an AAC plug in but its still crap.

Itunes sucks, its the best place for legal downloads because of selection but the AAC format is equivalent to about a 128k - 160k (at best MP3 rip)

There is a way around AAC though, download them, use a burn and then rip the track off the burned CD and then you can do whatever you want with them. Technically illegal but fuck Apple, they suck.

AAC is actually a format developed by Dolby. A 128kbps AAC is the equivalent of a 172kbps MP3.

Apple's AAC does use FairPlay. It does have a few guards to it, though can be broken as said above.

AAC is a higher quality than 128kbps MP3s. You lose some quality when you burn it and then rip it back as a 128kbps MP3. I've tested that.

I would also strongly disagree with the "Apple sucks" portion here. Apple has proven to be one of the most innovative companies around. OS X is pure genius.

do you guys and gals think we will have MP3's available for songs like levitation in yousend its? ide be very interested in listening to some of these unrealeased songs but as a student who lives on his own and just bought the limited edition boxset i cant quite afford the 149 dollars

U2Nut95 said:

AAC is actually a format developed by Dolby. A 128kbps AAC is the equivalent of a 172kbps MP3.

Apple's AAC does use FairPlay. It does have a few guards to it, though can be broken as said above.

AAC is a higher quality than 128kbps MP3s. You lose some quality when you burn it and then rip it back as a 128kbps MP3. I've tested that.

I would also strongly disagree with the "Apple sucks" portion here. Apple has proven to be one of the most innovative companies around. OS X is pure genius.

True, AAC was developed by Dolby, but Apple have adopted it.

My "Apple sucks" comment was towards I-Tunes. If they are going to sell songs and offer burning as an option they should be true CD-quality if not direct rips with no compression, it wouldnt work of course with dialup people but at the very least they need have other options like a quality range. The 128k comment is more a stepping stone and tests have shown it falls into about 170. I dont even like 160.

I'm totally surprised at the negative reactions here. This is just as exciting as when the album leaked. I had totally forgotten that this package was going on sale already, and when I saw all those unreleased tracks (I mean, a freaking unearthed JT outtake!) I couldn't believe it.

Damn, maybe including the Chris Thomas versions of some Bomb tracks was a bad idea; this version of "All Because of You" slays the album version.

I don't know. I'm satisfied here. You don't have to download the entire boxset, after all; although I hope "Levitate" and "Love You Like Mad" are available for single downloads soon enough...

Though true, having a hard, lossless copy of all this stuff would be preferred.

Last edited:
Alright guys honestly

I know I am new around here but is anybody just a tad disapointed at how uncreative and so far unfan friendly this complete U2 set is. The 6 unrealeased could be very interesting but are so far unavailable to Fans as single songs and you would think that They could of gone a little deeper into the studio vault. I may be alone in this but did anybody else hope for any of these songs.

studio version of womenfish
U2s studio version of She's a mystery to me
bono sung version of wanderer
Maybe of few different or alternate versions of songs off Pop,Zooroopa or Autung as well as all that you cant
CLockwork orange music besides Alex Descends
full band version of SLow dancing
"in cold Blood"
Beter version of I'm not your baby without sinead
U2 and Bono sung version of that song they wrote for the Bond movie.
ANd absouloutly gorgeous live version of :north and south of the river" that I downloaded on Napster 4 or 5 years ago(unless I overlooked it on the list)
And a different Bono sung version of the song He and edge wrote for Tina turner.

I still love U2 but I do think they went to commercial in my opinion on the box set If it brings them new fans then great I just hope some of these songs get realeased before i am 80 years old.

Back
Top Bottom