MERGED ----> Idol + The U2 Bump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... not to be argumentative, but which covers has he done his own arrangements for?

Always Be My Baby, Baba O'Riley, and (my personal favorite) Little Sparrow. I think Hello was somewhat inspired by the Incubus version, but nowhere near a carbon copy.

I think he'll do great, so long as he sings his ass off. And he usually does, so I'm really looking forward to tonight. Of all the Idol contestants I've ever heard, he's the one I'd most like to hear sing U2. Should be good.

(Think they'll bust out the choir and have him do the Rattle & Hum version?)

re: MERGED ----> Idol + The U2 Bump

bakedpony said:
dunno if it's already been poted but to those that care

apparently
david cook will sing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
in the final 2

we'll see

Oh shit...he will fail like all the others who have come before him
:eeklaugh:

just played it a minute ago, solid rendition, but nowhere near the original or any live version in my opinion. I don't think his scratchy, rock voice really suits the song

Just heard it, I'm bias because in my head the only person who can sing that song is B.Vox but it was a solid rendition despite he's somewhat scratchy voice

derrick_rossign said:
just played it a minute ago, solid rendition, but nowhere near the original or any live version in my opinion. I don't think his scratchy, rock voice really suits the song

Yeah, I agree. The song sort of lost some its spirituality because of his voice. Sounded like he was trying a bit too hard too. Still, not a bad version at all.

I thought he sang it better than anyone else on the show ever could, but it still didn't touch the original. I don't think that's a criticism - I liked it a lot, and glad to final see a U2 song on a show of this type, but c'mon, it didn't come close to U2.

Good version by the stock rock dude.

The bar for AI is seriously low. As I suppose it probably should be. This is the type of guy who is roaming bars and clubs all across America, nice voice, decent range and the difference is he had enough guts to go on American Idol for the quick track to fame.

Kudos to him, I wish him luck but he'll have a hard time being taken seriously in rock circles.

Listen to him affectate this Collective Soul song right here.
Dime-a-dozen.

Thing is, you can't touch the original. Not even possible.

For the record, I thought he sounded beautiful. I really do love his voice.

I thought it sounded good. He put his own stamp on a U2 classic. I wouldn't even begin to try to compare it to the original; apples and oranges.

Also consider he didn't pick the song, it was picked for him. I dare say that is a challenge that Bono or anyone else would have a hard time measuring up to (i.e. singing a song - and doing it well - that has been selected for you by someone else).

Always Be My Baby, Baba O'Riley, and (my personal favorite) Little Sparrow. I think Hello was somewhat inspired by the Incubus version, but nowhere near a carbon copy.

(Think they'll bust out the choir and have him do the Rattle & Hum version?)

Thanks! If they mentioned on the show that they were his own arrangements, I completely missed that. Good to know. I really liked what he did with Baba O'Reilly.

And for the R&H version, I can't listen to the album version anymore without adding in the choir parts myself. :wink:

Or should that be :reject: ?

The U2 Bump (AI SPOILER)

I had a little thought as I was watching the American Idol finale. Going into the finals, my impression was that everybody in America loved David Archuletta and that it was going to be a landslide victory for him. Then on the final show of performances, David Cook makes a genius move and sings "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For." Come the results show, he wins the whole thing. Now, is that just coincidence, or is it the "U2 Bump"? :hmm:

David Cook was better throughout the course of the competition.

If anything, last night did him no favors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, you did NOT just spoil me for the Idol finale, WHICH I AM WATCHING RIGHT NOW.

What The Fucking Fuck. Seriously?

Ok sorry LM I edited your post. I don't usually do that but this is a big finale and the west coast inst done watching yet.

Well, it's not like I'm in the AMERICAN IDOL thread, is it? I know the places that are supposed to be "safe" from spoilers. Even Yahoo and other main news sites don't put an actual spoiler in a headline until it's over on the west coast.

Jesus, I thought EYKIW would be safe, unless Bono himself came to bestow the winner with a crown of gold or some fucking thing. Is mind-reading a new feature of the site as of today? "The U2 Bump" now means "spoilers for something inside"?

I came in intending to make a joke about gossip rags talking about celebs and their supposed "baby bumps," and I get this instead.

God DAMN it.

(in a few minutes I'll be happy about the winner, but for now allow me to be bitter, outraged and indignant.)

Ok sorry LM I edited your post. I don't usually do that but this is a big finale and the west coast inst done watching yet.

Please delete the whole thread then, because it's given away in the original post as well:

"Come the results show, he wins the whole thing"

:p

Back
Top Bottom