MERGED --> I think I have Mercy!!!!! + Mercy, the b side w/ Achtung Bab + Mercy!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please e-mail me 'mercy'?

They just played HTDBA on Nova 100 in Melbourne

Original, Lapoe, City of bl, Miracle Drug the standouts

WHAT THE????????? this better not be a b-side, fix it up and put it on the next album. It's too good, even though its a little raw, they can make it perfect. I like the way HTDAAB is, with of course "Fast Cars" :wink:

i have a feeling that Mercy will be saved for their final studio album or best of 2000-2010.. just feels like one of those "we're gone but you still have our spirit/i will live on" type of songs

bcrt2000 said:
i have a feeling that Mercy will be saved for their final studio album or best of 2000-2010.. just feels like one of those "we're gone but you still have our spirit/i will live on" type of songs

Maybe, but I think its a little late for that if someone receives a 12 song copy of the Bomb and THIS track is on it.

I have a question:

Why do songs such as Mercy and Fast Cars have to be sacrificed to fitting an album length? I don't really get that. Please explain. :confused:

See the Blender article why U2 decided to cut an hour long cd down to under 50 minutes. "Too much of a good thing is a bad thing" was the argument made. If too much was going to cause me to od, then so be it.

kakvox said:
I have a question:

Why do songs such as Mercy and Fast Cars have to be sacrificed to fitting an album length? I don't really get that. Please explain. :confused:

Pop did bad in the US, it was their longest album as well, they felt US markets liked shorter albums

Re: I think I have Mercy!!!!!

U2SJ said:
Hi everyone! :wave:
So as some of you know my story about meeting Bono a couple weeks ago in San Jose.... he said to me "Darling, watch out for Mercy, you will love it, its one of my favorites" :love:

Anyways, somehow I believe I have Mercy in my possession :hyper:

I have a cd copy I was given with a track 12 on it.... and in my opinion it may be Mercy. It is 6:31 and in Blender it describes it as "the track "Mercy", a six-and-a-half minute outpouring of U2 at its most uninhibitedly U2-ish", Hence a song that any self-respecting band would be proud to call a single becomes what Bono immediately anoints "the best b-side you've ever heard"...
It's an awesome song, I absolutely love it :combust:

So this is the problem. I would love to share this wonderful song, but I am on dial-up. Can someone help me?

so-- what was the track order of the album on the copy you got? this gets interesting.. i really want to have the quintessential version of HTDAAB, and I know this includes Fast Cars, but i'm debating with myself whether or not Mercy fits on this-- it definately feels like its a last track on an album, but we'll have to wait and see for Fast Cars

No, I don't mind longer albums if the songs are quality. From what we are hearing fast cars is awesome. A shame the general public won't get to hear these gems. :(

Re: Re: I think I have Mercy!!!!!

bcrt2000 said:

so-- what was the track order of the album on the copy you got? this gets interesting.. i really want to have the quintessential version of HTDAAB, and I know this includes Fast Cars, but i'm debating with myself whether or not Mercy fits on this-- it definately feels like its a last track on an album, but we'll have to wait and see for Fast Cars

The quintessential version of an album is the one the band puts out.

Re: Re: Re: I think I have Mercy!!!!!

namkcuR said:

The quintessential version of an album is the one the band puts out.

but there is already 2 versions, a version with and without fastcars-- i think this question arises from the topic that was brought up a few weeks back of joshua tree originally consisting of 18 songs (and someone actually attempted to reconstruct the original track list), but was cut short

Last edited:
I think this would be best as the LAST Hut Dab b-side. It's AFTER the atomic bomb has been dismantled. "Love will come again."

And this is definitely a b-side. The lyrics are fantastic, but not a-side fantastic. Bono's been quite truthful lately - first about the album, now about the quality of this song.

Mercy

Being crap at computer jargon can anyone tell me - is 320 kbp better than 11 meg? Please LMK

This is a great song, and I'm wondering if they'll sneak this on one of the album versions (regular CD; Deluxe CD/DVD; Collector's Edition CD/DVD/Book)? I mean why would U2sj get this twelve track HTDAAB?

I love the AB guitar, followed by the UF drums. U2 has put it altogether on this album, eh? :yes:

Wow, I slept at the wrong time! I sure never would have thought Mercy would leak before Fast Cars. Thank you very much to all involved with doing so! I like it a lot, and I think it is an amazing b-side. I don't think it would have fit too well on the album, so I'd say they made the right call.

At any rate, here's another yousendit link for the 11MB version: http://s3.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0B803D4161EBF550007CBAB93348C3D3

Although, as someone else mentioned, this sounds it was re-encoded at a higher bitrate than the source. Would it be possible to re-rip the track at 256? It sounds like this is 128Kbps (WMA). Either way, it's great to hear this, no matter what format :)

Telescopes, gravity and binary code...LOL

Sounds like Bono has been listening to some OMD or something. Brilliant for a b-side...growing on me fast. They do seem to leave the b-side vocals pretty raw

:dance: :dance: :dance:

This place really is blue crack. :cool:

U2SJ

So people reckon Mercy isn't mastered and that U2SJ has an unmastered copy of the LP. Can U2SJ confirm if the LP she has is any different - can you post the run times of each song or something or post the entire CD??

I believe the lyrics on page one probably have many errors so i guessed at some of the possible corrections. Obviously we still need some help on figuring out the correct lyrics. Anyone want to give it a shot.

MERCY

I was drinking some wine
and it turned to blood
whats the use of religion
if your any good
i know i'm weak ? of honey
and youre sugar
if you're the prosecution
I’d get away with murder
if you were ice
i'm water
and with your telescope
i can see further
we're binery code
a one and a zero
you wanted violins
and you got nero
you're gravity
searching for the ground
you’re silence
searching for a sound
your heart is aching
your heart is my home
its fascinating
i know i’ll never be alone
?
you got 2 hands to run ?
im thinking about dangers ?
of someone elses love

love is when i lie
love puts the blue back in my eye
love will come again
ill be gone again....again

if you hunger
baby let me feed it
if your heart is full
baby let me bleed it
and happiness is for
those who dont really need it
you love me... too much
you always loved me...too much
when I was ripping the stages
you got too much to run
i'm diggin for dangers?
with someone elses luck

love hears when i lie
love puts the blue back in my eye
love has come again
i am gone again

loves got to be with the weak
only then love gets a chance to speak
love will come again
i'll be gone again...again

i...i can't escape myself
i hear you talk
feeling nothing
i fear nothing
fear...

i can hear so much
fear nothing
i feel so much
feel... nothing

love has come again
i am gone again...
love is the end
of history
the enemy
of misery
love has come again
i am gone again

love is justice
of charity
love brings with it a clarity
love has come again
i'm alive again
i am alive baby i’m born again and again and again and again and again....again

Last edited:
ya, i went ahead and heard the song a few more times. Its such a good song, its funny how people said this could be a single for most other bands. It so true....what a great chorus.

"Love has come again...I'll be gone again...again...."

Homerpalooza said:

These are Bono's best lyrics since Pop.

Perhaps, but I don't feel they're a-side quality simply because of the continual repetition of metaphors over and over again. It's what I'd pick as a b-side. Indeed, it makes me think of Where Did It All Go Wrong?.

That said, this could fit perfectly on an album (I'm not sure it really suits Hut Dab) and DAMN, it is so good. I actually wish they'd spent a bit of time on this one because the lyrics seem to have real depth and could have gone even more places.

Here's my attempt at the lyrics ... I'm totally unsure with some parts, but I took a guess anyway.

I was drinking some wine and it turned to blood
What's the use of religion if you're any good?
I know I'm weedkiller [??] honey and you're sugar [I really don't think this is right, but I keep hearing 'weedkiller'!]
If you're the prosecution, I'd get away with murder
If you were ice, I'm water
And with your telescope, I can see further
We're binary code, a one and a zero
You wanted violence and you got Nero
You're gravity, searching for the ground
You're silence, searching for a sound
Your heart is aching, your heart is my home
It's fascinating, I know I'll never be alone

But I'm ripping [limp in?] the stitches [?]
We've got two minutes to run [?]
I'm picking the dangers
Of someone else's love

Loves hears when I die
Love puts the blue back in my eye
Love will come again
I'll be gone again ... again

If you're hungry, baby let me feed it
If your heart is full, baby let me bleed it
And happiness is for those who don't really need it
You love me too much, you always love me too much

When I was ripping the stitches
We've got two minutes to run
I'm picking the dangers
Of someone else's luck

Love hears when I die
Love puts the blue back in my eye
Love has come again
I am gone again
Love's got to be with the weak
Only then love gets a chance to speak
Love will come again
I'll be gone again ... again

I ... I can't escape myself
I hear you tall [?]
Feeling nothing, I feel nothing, feel
I can hear someone
Feel nothing
I can hear someone
Feel nothing

Love is come again
I am gone again
Love is the end of history
The enemy of misery
Love has come again
I am gone again
Love is justice, a charity
Love brings with it a clarity
Love is come again
I'm alive again ... alive
I am alive, baby I'm born again and again and again and again and again and again and again ...

Last edited:
The song is good a bit too long.

It keeps trying to build up to something and never quite hits it....glad ive heard it but also glad its not on the album.

Axver said:
I actually wish they'd spent a bit of time on this one because the lyrics seem to have real depth and could have gone even more places.

I'm sure it's already been worked on more beyond the version we're hearing. If not, they'll certainly tweak it a bit for the b-side release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom