MERGED--> Grammys thoughts thread+One performance discussion +monkey jumped off !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:

i'm sure that's what he meant.

i was trying to be funny.

and i think Macca looked confused because the mics were going a bit crazy while Bono was talking.

i also think that HTDAAB is good, but it's also a recognition for the overlooking of ATYCLB, and especially Achtung.

it was aking to Pacino getting the Oscar for "Scent of a Woman" -- he's been better in the past, but it was a deserving performance, and overdue and a nod to longevity, hard work, and sheer tenacity.

and funny it was...
didn't catch the mics thing...Paul just had such a funny confused look, I loved it.
I don't doubt that the cumulative effect of *not* having gotten deserved AOTY awards for Achtung Baby and ATYCLB may have influenced voter thinking on this, as with Pacino...

I still have to say that I don't agree that HTDAAB is akin to "Scent of a Woman" or even Pacino's specific performance in that, though I see the value of the analogy..

HTDAAB is more than merely a "deserving" performance, imho it is a truly great album...I think it's got truly great songs, even if it doesn't quite achieve the total-coherent-package brilliance of Achtung Baby, or in its own way as well of ATYCLB.

cheers!

Do we know who the blond woman sitting beside Bono was or am I going to have to go through 5,000 Grammy pages or, worse, venture into PLEBA to find out? :uhoh: :wink:

Wasn't the blond woman Ann? Larry certainly kissed her before going up for the last award. Although she didn't quite look herself, though. I'm assuming it was Ann.

irishdove said:
Wasn't the blond woman Ann? Larry certainly kissed her before going up for the last award. Although she didn't quite look herself, though. I'm assuming it was Ann.

:sigh:
:wink:

Lian Lunson, friend of the band and director of the recent Leonard Cohen documentary the band appears in.

irishdove said:
Hey, what do you mean "or worse"? :wink:

Worse meaning I can't afford to get sucked into a PLEBA vortex today. :wink:

Really, that was Ann? I tried to make it Ann in my head but it just didn't look like her.

Sorry, hon. I try to stay away from PLEBA sometimes, but I don't usually make it! And I suppose that would explain to me why Ann didn't look herself, 'cause she wasn't :der:

I swear, that was quite a kiss she gave Larry!

I'm very happy the band got everything that they were nominated for. They all seemed a bit weird, like a bit rusty after over a month away from touring and Bono looked like he was drugged to stay calmer, everything he did seemed to be happening in slow motion. At times I get the feeling that he is loosing confidence in himself as he gets older, maybe wining all those awards will make him feel better. He deserves to. I was extremely happy to see them getting the award for best album but they cut Larry off! I was happy for Bono when they won for Sometimes and it was hillarious to see them looking at each other to see who was going to speak next. Also, seeing them recieve the news and then get up and and thank everybody while going to the stage is coller than seeing them saying anything on stage. Edge playing with everybody on stage at the end was awesome! I love In The Midnight Hour so I was happy they played it with Edge and Bruce on the same stage.

Vertigo - I thought it was a weak performance. Bono had no soul or power on his voice, not even in the chorus. If he's not in the mood to sing he should at least try to get there or they shouldn't perform at all. Also I couldn't hear Edge's guitar too well but that's not his fault.

One - It was alright. Mary J. Blidge did better than Bono. Even though he didn't fuck it up or anything I don't think he gave a good performance. It seemed to me that he was a bit nervous. The rest of the guys did well.

Speeches - I know Bono is great at speeches but maybe he shouldn't do this anymore at the Grammies. Everytime he goes there he looks so nervous that I don't understand why he would want to represent the band up there (for the speech). Edge did much better, he was a lot less nervous (or so it seemed to me) and sounded more natural. I wish they had given Larry some time to say what the wanted to say.

Edge playing at the end - He was awesome, looking really cool and calm, doing his thing and playing his extremely minimalistic solo. I taped the moments U2 were on and it was funny to see Bruce smiling at Edge while he payed.

Achtung Ya'll said:

I'm going to have to agree with you here. And this sort of "OMG U2 CAN DO NO WRONG!" that permeates these boards is another reason my visits only come in spurts. It's just as childish as gloating.

Arent the Grammys voted by true music people - i.e. those who work in the industry?

Unless of course all these people are part of the OMG U2 can do no wrong brigade.

i do smell a backlash.

another reinvention is needed. a period of hibernation.

we'll see them again in late 2008.

GibsonExplorer said:

You know what? Clear your mind and listen to the White Album. Listen to Kid A. Listen to Eric Clapton's Unplugged. Parachutes. Elephant. The Love Below (but not Speakerboxxx). Hell, LISTEN to ZOOROPA and POP.

And if you give advice without taking it, you would look ignorant indeed. I've listened to HTDAAB. As a fan since the Joshua Tree, I've given every U2 album a thorough listen. Have you?

Am sure most if not all people on this board have given most if not all of U2's albums a spin. Most of the albums you listed are great - but you know, its down to opinions. As any award ceremony is based on, or anyones preference in music - opinions are like assholes, we all have one. Parachutes? Eric Clapton's Unplugged? Elephant? So-so to me. Don't see what the fuss is about. Its all about opinions.

White album, Kid a - how often do those albums come along? Its easy to list some great albums and give a throwaway comment.

I don't understand why some people are getting so worked up about U2 winning 5 awards. You don't think the album is worth the 5 awards - fine. As this is a U2 fansite, I suspect most people do think the album is worth 5 awards.

And sure, there are a number of fans who will worship no matter what. There are also a number of fans who can see the wood from the trees and still like HTDAAB and judge an album on its true worth rather than because its just another U2 album.

from the bbc website :)

attachment.php

Rich

joyfulgirl said:
Do we know who the blond woman sitting beside Bono was or am I going to have to go through 5,000 Grammy pages or, worse, venture into PLEBA to find out? :uhoh: :wink:
:laugh:

If you're going into PLEBA, you're going to need safari gear and an elephant gun, just to be safe.

Oh, and don't rate any theads :wink:

irishdove said:
Sorry, hon. I try to stay away from PLEBA sometimes, but I don't usually make it! And I suppose that would explain to me why Ann didn't look herself, 'cause she wasn't :der:

I swear, that was quite a kiss she gave Larry!

If you were that close to Larry would you kiss him too???

*partygirl slinks back to PLEBA......*

richclarkson said:
from the bbc website :)

attachment.php

Rich

wow from canoe.ca (one of the bigger canadian news websites):

2006-02-08
Which artist deserves to win the most Grammys?

Kanye West
7%

Mariah Carey
14%

U2
24%

Green Day
29%

Another artist
27%

---

funny thing is they have another poll today which asks what most people think the state of today's music is, and most people said lousy

from the Drudge Report

The music business suffered another embarrassment Wednesday night -- when AMERICAN IDOL's Hollywood cattle call drew a larger audience than THE GRAMMY AWARDS!

The amateur pop contest was easily the top-rated show of the night, NIELSEN claimed, with a 17.4 rating/26 share to GRAMMY's 12.3 rating/19 share.

In direct competition at 8 pm ET, IDOL hit 27 share to GRAMMY's 16 share.

[The industry's top music awards slipped from 2005 levels [12.3/19 vs. 13.2/20] early numbers show.]

With IDOL, FOX won the night over CBS: 12.7 rating/18 share to 12.5/18.

why is it, that even when the band win something, some people feel the need to bitch about it :|

Party Boy said:
Can anyone tell the difference between the grammp award for record of the year (won by Green Day) and song of the year won by U2??

the song goes to the songwriter, the record to the artist and to the producer(s), recording engineer(s) and/or mixer(s), if other than the artist

For a different performance/arrangement of One that's actually good, check out Johnny Cash's version.

http://www.save file.com/files/8664334

My thoughts on why it's better are in the Poll thread.

Johnny Cash's version of One is the best one ever done by anyone (including U2).

The Grammys are about sentimentality, music industry politics, connections and popularity. U2, and Bono in particular, are beloved by the mainstream music industry. I think that played a huge part in their winning all those Grammys for HTDAAB.

I just hope those who believe U2 won't be tempted by all the adulation to follow the same path they've been following the past five years when they make their next album are right.

U2Man said:
Johnny Cash's version of One is the best one ever done by anyone (including U2).

Nah...Johnny Cash's version sounds exactly what you would expect of JC singing One. karaoke does not interest me.

waynetravis said:
Has HTDAAB been nominated twice since its release?

No, it can't. The single was nominated last year, but not the album, it didn't make the cut off date.

U2Man said:

He's outdone some of the original artists that he's covered, but not this one. Not even close.

KUEFC09U2 said:
why is it, that even when the band win something, some people feel the need to bitch about it :|

The Grammys mean nothing. I fail to see why people think they do. I also fail to see why U2 think they do. I'd frankly be embarrassed to be nominated alongside the likes of Mariah Carey, Gwen Stefani, Weezer and Coldplay. The fact that the White Stripes won for the best alternative album is also a little absurd.

But whatever, people will continue to lap up these silly awards shows and use them to say "I told you so" to those of us who don't slobber over the ground U2 walks upon. U2's competition was, in most cases, non-existent. And the industry is known to favour them, especially in recent times. Remember, some of the greatest rock albums ever released weren't even considered for a Grammy.

I'm glad U2 had a fun last night, but I wish they wouldn't place so much importance on the event. Larry and Bono claimed that it was a "disappointment" that AB and Pop didn't fare as well. Why on EARTH do U2 need to win a Grammy and receive commercial adoration from the entire world for them to feel as though they've accomplished something? If you release a record that you feel proud of, who really gives a fuck if a bunch of record industry executives like it or not? It's disappointing to hear Larry say that it "means something."

roy said:

Nah...Johnny Cash's version sounds exactly what you would expect of JC singing One. karaoke does not interest me.

How is his version karaoke? He has a totally different acoustic arrangement on it that U2 has never done...

GibsonGirl said:
It's disappointing to hear Larry say that it "means something."

But I like seeing emotion...any emotion...from Larry.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom