MERGED-->All U2 iTunes Digital Box set Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the response LiveFire. i'm with you. it'd be cool to have the 10 tracks or so i don't have, but not at $15 per song. oh well. they'll be all over the net in two days anyway.

james

who's to say that many of the unreleased tracks won't yet end up as b-sides?

i seem to remember U2 saying that melon and hasta la vista wouldnt ever be reissued....digitally is still a reissue

Danny Boy said:
Finally got my download going again. Up to about 200 tracks now.

First thing I do when it finishes is burn a backup of all this, then I have to set about reorganizing my U2 iTunes folder.

I just made a smart playlist under albums "the Complete u2" which now has all of these 447 songs going to one list for right now - later on will be the massive restructuring of my library
The live concerts sound amazing - if U2 continues this for the tour......

I'm disappointed that the "rare" songs don't include Womanfish (you know there must be a studio version of that monster track somewhere) and some of the Achtung Baby outtakes.

I'll be downloading the complete today, and am more than willing to share some of the songs with all you excellent fans. I'm most interested in trading, of course, as I'm looking to add to my live bootleg collection-especially JT era and before.

I imagine it will take most of the day (Tuesday) to download, so I could begin buring to cd for some of you shortly after Thanksgiving holiday.

LSTB

yeah, I originally was the fool posted "kudos to apple"
but now all the rare and released stuff is album only.
I should have bought it all last night. would I even have been able to though? did anyone do so last night?
I want some of those tracks!

Well, I'm not buying the entire thing. I'm debating whether to buy the handful of tracks I've already tagged. I feel like I've been given a large shaft by U2 and Apple.

I, like many others on this forum, already have every album, and then some. U2 accounts for about 1/4 of my entire 250-cd collection. I troll every used cd shop I know about in a 25-mile radius on a weekly-to-monthly basis to find U2 material I don't already have.

I pre-ordered the deluxe edition of Bomb the day it was made available on Amazon.

And now, U2 and Apple want me to spend $150 to buy an entire digital box set to acquire the 10% of music in there that I don't already have. $150 for the 40 or so tracks I want is highway robbery.

I'm not just disappointed, I'm pissed.

I agree. I'm not buying the whole thing.
There needs to be SOME kind of incentive for us as the punks that have paid full price for ALL of this throughout the years.
I may sound angry, but I'm not. I just think there could have been a TINY bit more consideration for this section of U2 fans (the crazy ones :) )

The Complete U2 unreleased tracks

The complete U2 Set is now available on Itunes. Though most of the tracks can be purchased individualy, the rare & unrelesed tracks CAN NOT. No surprise since they know that the fans have most or all the albums and would only be interested in these unreleased tracks. Still, its got all the albums, B-sides, original versions, and alot of live tracks.Very tempting!

Unreleased tracks:

Levitate (From All That You Can't Leave Behind Sessions)

Love You Like Mad (From All That You Can't Leave Behind Sessions)

Smile (From How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb Sessions)

Jesus Christ (From the Sun Studio Sessions for Rattle & Hum)

Xanax and Wine (From How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb Sessions)

All Because of You (Alternate Version)

Native Son

Yahweh (Alternate Version)

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own (Alternate Version)

I also agree with y'all. Even more disturbing to me is the fact that when The Complete U2 first went up on iTunes early this morning, it appeared you could buy tunes a la carte.

So, I started buying some of the tracks. I realized that the unreleased/rare, live stuff also had the "buy song" button - and even though the error message popped up, there was some discussion that it was merely a server issue w/Apple. Now I see that's not the case - that these tracks were always to be "album only." I feel like Apple may have mis-led buyers into buying certain tracks, then re-labeling and updating it later.

The problem is that even if I wanted to buy the whole thing - I've already bought some of the tracks and Apple's policy is that all sales are final - so I have to "double buy?" That's screwed up and I'm going to a reporter-friend of mine who covers Apple to tell him about it.

I'm pissed at Apple.
Anyone else have issues on that level?

Ok, again... U2 want you to spend $150. Blaming Apple is like blaming Walmart or Best Buy because the box set sitting on the shelf offers the exact same issue.
I would point out that if these "40 or so" (or X number, for those others complaining they only want so many of them) tracks were issued as b-sides, 2 per single, it would take many albums to get them out, the single would cost $8-$12 to buy as imports (in the USA) and would end up costing $8*20 = $160 or more.
That might be stretching it a bit, but it's still a great price to have high-quality encoding (all iTunes tracks are, according to Apple, taken directly from the master, not just a simple CD rip) and tons of material. Hell, I paid $30 for the BOOT of the Boston show alone 10 years ago.
Point being, no one is making you buy anything. This is a classic example of fans making U2 the bad guy because people collect these tracks and get them for free via p2p or they buy bootlegs, and now that the band issued them THEY are the bad guys for not thinking, "Gee, what about all the people who got this rare stuff as a bootleg. Let's offer each track invidually. " If this weren't on iTunes, option 2 would be NOTHING since it would take about 30 CDs to release this much stuff. But, since iTunes does sell individual songs, now they're the evil conglomerate looking to, Heaven forbid, turn a profit by selling these tracks as a package that puts them at 34 cents per song.
There's several hundred tracks on that box that are totally new if someone only bought the commercially available material. I, as someone who recently downloaded the 12/31/89 concert from another U2 fansite was delighted to have a professionally mastered copy of an excellent show, and have no problem paying the band for it.
In the end, it sounds like lots of people will trade the tracks anyway, somehow justifying it because they're going to buy a concert ticket or they've bought other rare u2 stuff or whatever.
I think the band did an excellent job of trying to find enough material to make the $150 worthwhile for the newbie U2 fan or the die-hard collector. If they released a 6-disc set of the Boston SHow, the Point Depot show, the rare remixes, the "Rare and Unreleased" stuff, and the early material, I could see that selling for $120. $30 more for high-quality encodings of the current catalog (although not truly the "complete" catalog) seems pretty reasonable to me. I think they had to walk a line between the more casual fan and the die-hard, and they did so quite well. Not flawlessly, but well.

UVB, not really - I'm not going to attribute that sort of malice to ITMS - I think it's far more likely that they didn't properly tag the tracks to begin with when they were uploading the data into the backend database; they had to undo the upload, correct it, and reupload. That sort of thing happens all the time. (I run a five-9's database server for a living, trust me it happens a lot).

The thing that pisses me off more than anything is the fact that the average person isn't going to be interested in the rare stuff. The only people who want it at all are the people like us who have already given the band a hell of a lot more than 500 pounds, and now they want what amounts to nearly $4 per track (a DRM'ed copy of "Boy" is worthless to me as I already have it in iTunes w/o the DRM crap). It's not only exhorbitant pricing, it's also a stupid waste of bandwidth downloading piles of stuff I already have.

I'll repeat this again, since it's the part that pisses me off the most: the average person is NOT interested in this stuff, the people who DO want it are being asked to pay prices for the music that are frankly, way the hell out of line.

I've heard of buying a musician a lunch, but this is ridiculous.

It's unfortunate, because I don't have an income to blow on an iPod. Oh well...

Melon

Flower Child (From All That You Can't Leave Behind Sessions) - It has kind of a Beatles feel to it as not all of the songs have downloaded I can't give reviews on the others
I really like Flower Child right now :)

Please don't misconstrue my earlier comments as a complaint with U2 about the contents of the Box Set.

My issue is with Apple in the way the entire set was initially presented to look like you could buy all the songs a la carte.

So now, I'm essentially buying the songs twice because I already bought some of the songs when it first went live (around 12:30am Pacific Time). I thought that I'd be able to get some of the Live and Unreleased tunes a la carte as Apple first labeled. But I wasn't able to despite the fact those tracks were also labeled with the "buy song" button. By that time, I had already dropped $20 on other individual tracks in the set. Now I'm faced with "double buying" these songs which is just a waste of money and feel Apple bears some responsibility for mis-labeling these tracks when it went live in iTunes.

I have no qualms whatsoever with U2, Apple or anyone making $$$ at all. I agree that this box set is an amazing collection and, even though I have about 80% of the songs, I felt it was worth plopping down $100 (w/my iPod discount) to get digitally remastered copies of the library.

It truly is expansive and takes me back to various times in my life... good times.

I listened to a few yesterday (previews) and they sounded pretty good. Especially "Flower Child". For anyone who doesn't have there rare stuff and few of their albums, $149.99 that is such a good deal for all you get.

this does suck big time for the true fan that already has 90% of the material on the Complete U2. NO, I'm not against the band making a profit off of their art, but I think they could have been alot smarter about it. Who is going to pay $150 for 10 or so songs that they don't have? For that price, I'd have to see more than 50 songs I don't have to even begin considering it.

Oh well, it's a moot point now anyway. We'll all eventuall have access to the material we want one way or another.

All of this gives me a bad feeling about how much we're going to have to spend for tour tix.......

It's cool that you named some of them, but I wish I could get a more comprehensive look at almost all of the unreleased/rare tracks. I'll probably buy it anyway.

jmelrose, I haven't built up my itunes library from p2p downloads. I have built mine up from my cd collection. Have I used p2p networks to find music? Yes I have. I have less than a dozen tracks in my library that are from p2p networks, and all of those because they are simply not released. I will gladly pay an artist a reasonable amount of money for a proper recording. I have done that a great number of times.

The tracks on itunes I am interested in, I don't already have. A lot of them I didn't even know existed. I would GLADLY pay U2 a reasonable amount for those tracks, but $150 is not reasonable for 40 tracks.

It's the same issue that consumers have been having with the music industry as a whole: paying $15-18 for a cd for the 1 or 2 good tracks and 45 minutes of tripe filler.

As far as I'm concerned, the 90% of the box set that I already have is filler. If I were to obtain it, I'd just immediately delete it since I have no use for it. I'd still be buying filler, and I loathe waste of any sort, particularly so when it's my money that's being wasted.

I and many many other here judging from the posts have made good-faith attempts to build a legitimate collection that is as complete as we're able to find. We're not being treated with good faith by U2.

If they'd allow per-track purchases, or even divide the music up into a number of albums instead of a single unit, they'd be $40 richer from me in a heartbeat. I'm not willing to pay $150 for music, that according to their pricing scheme, is valued around $15.

Regarding these new songs from Itunes

What am I supposed to do? Many people like myself can't get these songs legally because of their location so can somebody please arrange for these songs to be set up via torrents or yousendit. Some of us don't have a choice unfortunately. If I could, you know I would, If I could, I would, download and pay for it legally, but I can't :wink:

I need to hear these songs! :drool:

Levitate
Love you like mad
Smile
Flower Child
Beautiful Ghost
All because of you alternate version
Native Son
Xanax and Wine
Yahweh alternate version
SYCMIOYO alternate verion
Plus many others

Any help with any of these would be much appreciated by me and others that are forced to attain these songs in this fashion due to our circumstances.

The songs aren't on the ipod. You still have to buy the songs separately from the ipod.

I would give people enough time to listen to them themselves before they upload them for us to freeload. Patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom