MERGED-->All That You Can't Leave Behind IS U2's Third Masterpiece. + ATYCLB: 2000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beattie,
C'mon now...you can tell me with a straight face that Kid A holds a candle to Bends and OK Computer??? I respect yer opinion though. To me, it wasn't so much that Kid A was bad, it's just that they continued to drift from there -- which was bad. As far as ignorance, I own all their albums so the knowledge is there. I know of these albums.

And I still dislike the guy that originally started this thread. A whole lot.

all that you can't leave behind doesn't accomplish anything.

it never did.

but what's that you say? it sold four million + in the us? it "reaffirmed" to the world that u2 were "back"?

i'm not interested in what the world has to say about art. this is my opinion, and i'm standing by it.

as for the radiohead comments, kid a is right up there with ok computer. those two are easily their best albums, and i'd dare describe the bends as being their second worst.

not that it's bad or anything, of course.

Mac Phisto said:

And I still dislike the guy that originally started this thread. A whole lot.

How relevant. Thanks. That really adds to your credibility. Good job. :up:

kerc said:
Is it the beer I'm drinking, or has this thread gotten all confusing?

:huh:

Oh this thread has run its course, so in honor of all the stupid people around the world...Drink Up buddy! :up:

I don't think ATYCLB is a masterpiece. It's overrated for sure (the Grammys!). HTDAAB is a better album, I think. I think it's a 3rd masterpiece. My favorite U2 album overall is Unforgettable Fire; however, I listened to Pop the other day after a long drought and it's freakin' great.

Zoomerang96 said:
all that you can't leave behind doesn't accomplish anything.

it never did.

but what's that you say? it sold four million + in the us? it "reaffirmed" to the world that u2 were "back"?

i'm not interested in what the world has to say about art. this is my opinion, and i'm standing by it.

Yeah, right.

It did nothing but save U2's career after POP, brought back the songs that were sorely missing since mid-90's, brought back Bono's voice, helped reaffirm their legacy, and started the third decade.

well... the old discussion once again :scratch:

it´s just matter of taste amigos :yes:

For me, their third masterpiece are Zooropa and Pop

ATYCLB is the worst ever U2 album, IMO :tsk: :down:

Where can one purchase these songs from the ipod without spending lots of money???
I haven't heard any of them except MERCY which sounds pretty damn good.

Hi, I'm new to this forum, their latest album has rekindled (is that a word?) my love for U2 though, and I really felt like discussing it (and the band) with other people. This is the first music forum I've ever signed up to.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been covered in this thread, but I'm in the "great collection of pop songs, weak second half, not really a masterpiece" corner. I can't comment on it in relation to JT and AM (only just working out these acronyms...) as I don't have them, but ATYCLB was my first U2 studio album, and since it's purchase I've bought their Best Of's, War, Boy, Rattle & Hum DVD and now their latest album.

Enough of me, the album. ATYCLB starts off with a flawless pop song - whilst Beautiful Day is not quite my favourite U2 song (that accolade goes to Sunday Bloody Sunday), it is nevertheless a gorgeous tune, and - if such a thing can be said about a song - perfect. It's followed by the excellent if over-played Stuck In A Moment. Next is the odd one, Elevation. This is not a bad song. It is not even a bad U2 song. It's just not... a very U2-like song. It just feels a bit too embarrassing in it's bombasticness and "commercial" feel. I guess it doesn't help that it was the theme to the Tomb Raider movie. It's just the sort of song that is clearly well made and catchy, but not one that's particularly cool to like. It feels like it's trying a bit too hard to reach the masses. Which is ok, because it did, and that's a good thing. Maybe it's just that lyric "Mole, digging in a hole" that gets on my nerves.

This is followed by a superb song, Walk On. People are right when they see this is a gospel album (in theme, rather than sonically). It's full of uplifting songs, and it's fair to say if this album is genius, it's genius lies in how apt it was for the time of release. But a masterpiece is timeless. Same with films. A masterpiece was best when it was released, but still stands strong out of this context. ATYCLB falters a bit here.

Kite is a solid song, but not easily accessible. It has a great bridge and chorus, but the verse riff and the speed of it makes it hard to appreciate at all times, like the best U2 songs. Nevertheless a quality song, and followed by an equally worthy one. At first I dismissed In a Little While, but it's riff is delicious, and it grows on you. Probably the second perfect pop song on the record. I love Bono's vocals on this song.

After this, nothing goes wrong as such - there are no bad tracks on the album. It just quitens down, leaving you with soft, pleasing songs, but not masterful ones. I never desire to hear these tracks like I do the best of U2's (and, may I add, almost all the tracks on their lastest), but they are still pleasing to the ear. Once more; good pop songs, but nothing that stands out. However, may I note that New York often gets lumped in with the "weaker second half", but it is one of my favourites on the album. It's slow and long, but then so are many U2 classics.

And may I also mention a personal U2 favourite of mine, The Ground Beneath Her Feet. This is never mentioned. I can only assume because it is a bonus track and not everyone has it, which is a shame. It is a simply gorgeous tune, split into two halfs almost, reminds of Chili's Venice Queen. It can't be classed as a song of this album, therefore not fully redeeming the second half, but anyone who has it on their copy should count themselves lucky.

Sorry for this rambling post, I haven't really said anything new, but I felt like getting it out of my system. ATYCLB starts off strongly, has many classic U2 songs and moments of pop perfection, but eases off just when it's getting good. Which leaves you overall with a pleasing album with many good songs, but not one that I can say I listen too as a whole very much, and certainly not a masterpiece. Just my opinion, though, naturally...

Back
Top Bottom