MERGED--->A question for who saw U2 on pre-Elevation tours + Pre-Elevation shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
A question for those who saw U2 on their pre-Elevation tours also

How would you rate Elevation tour to previous tours?

I thought it was great...the atmosphere was awesome and the band always seemed to be having as much fun as the audience (on the Elevation tour).

I did love PopMart but the band was just so far away....

ZooTV...same thing. AWESOME show....but it wasn't anything like Elevation.

Elevation was great! :up:

My only concert experiences prior to this were 2 Popmart shows...And I will always have a special place in my heart for those, since they were my first. And the songs from POP totally kicked ass live!!!

The intimacy thing wasn't a problem for me...In Chicago Popmart I was in sort of the middle section of the floor so I could see them pretty well when they came out onto the catwalk. I think it's going to be hard for them to top Popmart Detroit in my mind. I was at the end of the catwalk, so they all walked right past me when they came onstage AND they spent a big chunk of the show out there.

:hmm: And I'll say this too, since it's something people often discuss...if I remember right, Bono's voice was better at Elevation Detroit than at the two previous shows I attended...although it was definitely top notch at Popmart Detroit too.

My first U2 concert experience was also, as wertsie mentioned, in Chicago and it'll always have a place in my heart. The tunes were great and the band seemed on that night.

I'd say the first leg of Elevation topped my Popmart experience, though. Even better tunes (can't beat "The Fly") and crowd reaction was amazing! Leg 3 did not affect me like the first and the song selection was a bit of a let-down. I still had a good time and was moved to tears a few times during the night ("One"). But one thing I will remember from Chicago Elevation Leg 3 was "Bullet the Blue Sky". The B-Man kinda did a Zoo TV-esque rendition of it and by the end of it my breath was stolen. Bono spun furiously around and around with that spotlight just screaming "Outside it's America!" - truly amazing. Also, I believe that was the gig when one of our very own interferencers went up on stage and did an awesome rendition of "people get ready".

-[z]-

Saw Popmart three times.... The first show (Eugene, OR) was early in the tour and somewhat rough. The second two were near the end (Vancouver and Seattle) were much better. Seattle was outstanding, with many unrehearsed moments (Stand by me, Whole Lotta Love, 40, etc.).

The two elevation shows I got to (Tacoma, Vancouver) were also outstanding. IMO the Elevation setlists were superior, and the band just really seemed into it.

One point I will make is that you never forget a 40 foot chrome lemon opening up right in front of you revealling your favorite rock band.... THAT was special!

Pre-Elevation shows

I saw three PopMart shows: Vegas, and the two Dublin ones. They were really good especially the Dublin ones but then I saw a good few elevation shows and, well, they were BRILLIANT!! You also have to consider the albums aswell, ATYCLB is waaaaayyy better that POP in my opinion :yes:

I saw PopMart once and Elevation once. I must admit, there was no comparison as I was gobsmacked during PopMart. :reject:

I will admit, though, I had way better seats for PopMart. During Elevation my seats were literally at the back wall of the arena. I couldn't have been any futher and had to buy binoculars just to see the big screens. I guess I totally missed out on that intimate feeling.

I thought PopMart was just so out there. A huge lemon, the largest big screen ever, a massive arch...it was so dark and had so much energy. I also loved the band's entrance (from the back of the stadium). I had decent seats for a stadium, and it was such an unforgettable experience. I love the Pop songs, too, more than the ATYCLB so I enjoyed the setlist more. (though ATYCLB has grown on me considerably since then)

In Elevation a lot of the stuff I had seen at PopMart (bullfight of Until the End of the World, running in Where the Streets, etc.) so I was like, "what? They're doing a lot of the same acts?"

I saw Elevation when they did the whole tribute to the 9/11 attacks. I must say that it was very, very powerful and impacting.

Jams!! Popmart buries Elevation

Forget the over the top approach to Popmart(which I loved) I am very passionat that the all out jams and segues were much more intense throughout Popmart than Elevation...

I.E. Last Night jams and builds to an all out climax.
The 3 song segues of BULLET>PLEASE>STREETS is a blissful rollercoaster of a ride that build and builds , leaving you totally exhausted, yet yearning for more!!!!

Elevation possesed some of these moments, but the build and ride was not as "over the top" as I love so much.

I've seen U2 once on Popmart and three times on Elevation. I would rank them like this.

1.5/7/01- Columbus
2.5/24/97- Columbus
3.5/10/01- Indianapolis
4.10/10/01- Notre Dame

Popmart Columbus was my first concert ever, not to mention the first time I ever saw my favorite band. Every detail still stands out perfectly in my mind. That show will always hold a special place in my heart. That said, the first time I saw Elevation in Columbus, I was blown away. It was definately a better show all around. Everything about it was so perfect. A few days later I saw them in Indy....still great, but the same thing I saw 3 days before. The fact that it was Bono's birthday gave that show somewhat of an Edge. (no pun).

Then came the 3rd leg show I saw. I don't know if I was just tired of Elevation or what, but I actually found myself bored during it. I didn't like their set list, and they exercised the same routines too long. I think the only times I really got into the concert were when they played songs that I hadn't already heard them play on the 1st leg. (Still haven't found, Angel of Harlem....Kite and Walk on really got me too, love those songs.) But I surprised myself a bit during "Bad". Instead of soaking in every moment of this show, I caught myself checking out a rather full figured Notre Dame college student. (The chicks at that concert were worth the trip anyday!) I about fell asleep during "With or without you." I think that Elevation 1st leg is a better show than Popmart, but not 3rd leg.

Popmart kicked serious ass, you all have to admit. We can all say how much we love this "back to basics" stuff, but I really got into the whole Pop album and tour, and I thought it was great. That is, until the press started slagging both, then I couldn't look at Popmart the same way.

For pure spectacle and visual impact, I'd say PopMart was the best.

For the Joshua Tree show I saw I was too far from the stage in the friggin huge L.A. Coliseum, plus, I don't really remember if U2 was "on" that night or not. I have a few visual images stored away in my mind and that's it.

ZooTV was great, but didn't impact me as much as PopMart, what with the huge screen and lemon and all.

I was more moved by the music at the Elevation shows than at the shows of any other U2 tour I've seen.

So, my answer would be Elevation was the best. It really was.

Back
Top Bottom