McCartney, others to stage NY benefit show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
This could become Huge!

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Paul McCartney, The Who, Macy Gray and a host of other performers are scheduled to stage a concert on Oct. 20 in New York to benefit victims and rescue workers from the attacks on the World Trade Center, organizers said Thursday.

``The Concert For New York,'' to be held at Madison Square Garden, will also be televised live on VH1. Other confirmed performers include Bon Jovi, James Taylor, John Mellencamp, Goo Goo Dolls (news - web sites), Melissa Etheridge, India.Arie as well as actors like Jim Carrey, Jerry Seinfeld, Gwyneth Paltrow and John Cusack.

The money raised will go to the Robin Hood Relief Fund, which was established by the Robin Hood Foundation, which helps needy families in New York, and the Twin Towers Fund, which was established by Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (news - web sites) to benefit rescue workers. Funds will also go to a number of other relief organizations.

More than 6,000 people are believed to be dead or missing, New York officials said on Thursday.

Tickets for the event are scheduled to go on sale Sunday, Oct. 7 at noon through Ticketmaster.

VH1, which is owned by Viacom Inc.; New York cable operator Cablevision Systems Corp., which also owns the Garden and Walt Disney Co.'s Miramax Films unit, will help underwrite the costs of the event. AOL Time Warner's Internet division America Online plans to Webcast the event on its service.

McCartney was originally planning to host a concert of his own to benefit New York's firefighters, but agreed this week to join the larger event.

``A Tribute To Heroes,'' a two-hour television special that aired earlier this month on over 35 U.S. broadcast and cable channels raised over $150 million for relief organizations.

Guess who are in the neighborhood that weekend.

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

I just saw The Loop on MuchMoreMusic, and they said that U2 was going to be there. They said that Led Zepplin also might be there ("might" being the key term).

------------------
"...and a thousand slimy things did crawl upon the slimy sea..."

Aren't they saying that this is going to be a sort of "Live Aid 2?"

------------------
Hi, I'm Troy McClure. You may remember me from such cartoons as "Christmas Ape" and "Christmas Ape Goes to Summer Camp."

Led Zeppelin and the Who are going to be there? It won't be the same without John Bonham and Keith Moon.

------------------
They want you to be Jesus
They'll go down on one knee
But they'll want their money back
If you're alive at thirty-three
And you're turning tricks
With your crucifix
You're a star

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

I hope after that , Sir Paul will organise a tour , that would be awesome
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by IvanClaytonJnr (edited 09-27-2001).]

The other day I was thinking about the Beatles singing "All You Need is Love" on the first world-wide broadcast and then I thought how awesome that would be if they could have done that again over something as huge as this. Could/should/would they do something like that without John? I can't think of any better purpose to see the 3 Beatles reunite than this...maybe, just maybe, I remember a poll a while back where people said of any lead singer they would like to see Bono replace John. How awesome would that be?

Someone has to respond to my questions. Who's it gonna be?

anyone? i want to hear your comments. the beatles reuniting is a big deal. come on guys!...

Last I heard is there won't be a Zeppelin "reunion" for this. But who knows, no doubt rumours will fly for some time. And I heard that Sting would be there, then that he wouldn't. This is the first I heard U2 would be there, but the moment I heard about the concert I thought "I'll be surprised if they're not there."

------------------
The city walls are all pulled down
The dust a smokescreen all around
See faces ploughed like fields that once gave no resistance

I saw on Tv it was going to be Oct. 20, explaining why there is no second Baltimore show
frown.gif
Oh well this concert should rule, and I am glad and proud U2 will participate!
smile.gif

Originally posted by mocool12:
Aren't they saying that this is going to be a sort of "Live Aid 2?"

That would be a big mistake, there are much
more victims made by hunger and debth than
by terror in a rich country.

------------------
I can`t change the world but i can
change the world in me.

Read you, Rono.

Why are they playing at a closed Arena when they have Central Park right next door? Besides a lot more people would mean more money. Oh one day I'll understand capitalism.

Originally posted by mbi16:
Why are they playing at a closed Arena when they have Central Park right next door? Besides a lot more people would mean more money. Oh one day I'll understand capitalism.

Thinks that is where it will end up

------------------
Imagine
//oo\\

http://eliv8.fws1.com/

Is this the same wedding from the acess hollywood interview back in April where Bono does his "lizard king" impersonation?

Originally posted by Zoomeranger:
I heard on the radio that Springsteen and U2 were asked to play but that Bono, along with the Boss and Sting have a wedding to go to on that date....

They're all going?? Whose wedding?!

------------------
"I am so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis." -Zaphod Beeblebrox

Back
Top Bottom