May 30 2001 - Detroit - Bono - Shame on you!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
barlowdog said:

Thanks for the Hillburn reference. I was just rereading sections of Bill Flanagan's "Until the End of the World" and he mentions that Hillburn is one critic that Bono pays attention to. I think he says that Hillburn has remained as part of Bono's conscience over the years.

about eminem singing about himself in every song: not only rap but other "black music" artists have always sang about themselves, their situation in their songs. like the old blues musicians, they refer to themselves by name in their songs. and how rap musicians send messages to each other through their songs. its nothing new and not really a bad thing. songs can be about anything.
abt bono: would you have liked it if he sang some motown instead?

Bonochick said:

I don't think he was...I think he screwed up. :huh: :scratch:

We should have a poll! :D

probably did screw up....we over here in Europe (or at least me and the people I know :) )don't know as much as you guys about states and the cities therein ... I guess bono maybe knew better years ago when they used to travel overland instead of flying in and flying out.....either that or he just had a blank brain moment!

Is Detroit in Michigan??

Lu
(who has no clue!!! I know Cleveland is in Ohio.....:yes: !)

bammo2 said:

probably did screw up....we over here in Europe (or at least me and the people I know :) )don't know as much as you guys about states and the cities therein ... I guess bono maybe knew better years ago when they used to travel overland instead of flying in and flying out.....either that or he just had a blank brain moment!

Is Detroit in Michigan??

Lu
(who has no clue!!! I know Cleveland is in Ohio.....:yes: !)

Yes, Detroit is in Michigan, although the concert wasn't actually in Detroit (it was in Auburn Hills)..... But I think about any city within an hour of Detroit is considered within the "Greater Detroit Area", we always know what they mean and go along with them.

I must have been in outer space that night cuz I don't remember (or maybe just couldn't make out) the Detroit/Ohio or the Eminem thing! :lol:

:scratch: Whoa! This is kind of an old thread!

Anyway...I've been listening to my 5/30 boot a lot lately and the more I do, it definitely sounds like he's saying, "Detroit, Ohio"!

Hey this reminds me of those Southwest Airline commercials ("wanna get away") where somebody always :censored: 's up and then they want to "get away" : there is one that has these rappers singing onstage to a spirited crowd, when the singer/rapper goes "thank you, Detroit!" and it literally silences the whole venue. As everything comes to a dead halt, the other guy onstage whispers to the main rapper and tells him that "detroit was last night...'

*you are now free to move about the country

These commercials have been around for some time now, maybe Bono was just making fun of that commercial and m&m too.

cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom