May 17, 1994: U2 Releases ZOOTV Sydney Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
437.jpg

U2 releases a home video version of the Sydney pay-per-view concert taped November 27, 1993. "Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World" is edited out amongst great speculation -- possibilities suggest the edit allows the concert to fit on one 2-hour VHS tape, or that the female dancer didn't agree to appear in the home release, or that she was underage and drank champagne on stage with Bono.

On the anniversary of ZooTv Sydney's release, please share your favorite moments, or songs of the film, pics, or other tidbits about the film that would be of interest to the many fans who still are mesmorized by the power of one of U2's greatest performances caught on tape for all to see for many years to come.

For me, it would simply be that we were able to experience the transformation of The Fly to MacPhisto all in one night...may the glory of ZooTV fill up this post with as much exuberance and spectacle as is deserving of such an awesome video as ZooTV Sydney...happy anniversary, and once again, welcome to ZooTV you all.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 05-17-2002).]

Anyone else brought to an emotional climax during Bono's simulation of heroin addiction and then the healing "hallelujahs" out of despair at the end of 'Running to Stand Still'? Definitely a powerful, and enduring moment in the film.

Chris

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Anyone else brought to an emotional climax during Bono's simulation of heroin addiction and then the healing "hallelujahs" out of despair at the end of 'Running to Stand Still'? Definitely a powerful, and enduring moment in the film.

Chris

Yep. I love that. Mysterious Ways was fab too! Oh, and try watching Zoo TV (even just parts of it), then pop the Elevation vid, right after. It's interesting to see the glaring differences they have in terms of production, etc., but the INTENSITY just the same.
wink.gif

157 shows...
4 MILLION people...
52 trucks...
36 video monitors...
1,200 tons of equipment...
3 miles of cable...
1 MILLION watts...
enough power to run 2,000 homes

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One
Unchained Melody
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Numb
Angel Of Harlem
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Satellite Of Love
Dirty Day
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Lemon
With Or Without You
Love Is Blindness
Can't Help Falling In Love

All tracks published by Blue Mountain Music Ltd. (UK), Mother Music Ltd. (Rep. Of Irl.), Taiyo Music Inc. (Japan) and PolyGram Music Publishing B.V.(ROW)

Except: "Unchained Melody" - North/Zarrett,MPL Communications "Satellite Of Love" - Screen Gems/EMI Music Ltd. "Can't Help Falling In Love" - Peretti/Creatore/Weiss, Manor Music Co. Ltd

Directed by DAVID MALLETT
Produced by NED O'HANLON & ROCKY OLDHAM
Lighting Consultant ALLEN BRANTON
U2 Show Designer PETER 'WILLIE' WILLIAMS
Sound Recording ROBBIE ADAMS
Editors TIM WADDELL, DAVE GARDNER, BRUCE McKENNA

Choreographer/Dancer MORLEIGH STEINBERG

A DREAMCHASER PRODUCTION FOR STRAYPASS LTD
Original photography ANTON CORBIJN (Front), PETER STONE (Back)
Sleeve design and computer treatments WORKS ASSOCIATES (DUBLIN)

1993 STRAYPASS LTD. THE COPYRIGHT IN THIS RECORDING IS OWNED BY STRAYPASS LTD. AND IS EXCLUSIVELY LICENSED TO POLYGRAM VIDEO INTERNATIONAL LTD. ? NOT US LTD. 1994

Total running time 1hr 58 mins (approx)

I remember when it was on pay per view. I had an older tv that picked up all pay channels, but they were scrambled, though I could hear them just fine whatever they were showing on pay per view. I remember the night Zoo TV was on so I sat in my room and watched it.

From then on I affectionately reffered to my scrambled channels as "Scramble Vision". There were some scenes during the Zoo TV concert that were so bright that the scrambled channel would kind of come in clear.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
I remember when it was on pay per view. I had an older tv that picked up all pay channels, but they were scrambled, though I could hear them just fine whatever they were showing on pay per view. I remember the night Zoo TV was on so I sat in my room and watched it.

From then on I affectionately reffered to my scrambled channels as "Scramble Vision". There were some scenes during the Zoo TV concert that were so bright that the scrambled channel would kind of come in clear.

Hey David, do you remember if they played 'Trying to Throw Your Arms Around The World' on pay-per-view when you watched it on your "Scramble Vision"...LOL

Chris

Originally posted by spanisheyes:
Hey David, do you remember if they played 'Trying to Throw Your Arms Around The World' on pay-per-view when you watched it on your "Scramble Vision"...LOL

Chris

you know that's weird, i don't remember. they might of, but i can't really recall.

does anyone else know if they did play that song on the pay per view?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back
Top Bottom