Mary J Blige's "One" - ALL of U2!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
Ok I just got this off the Mary J Blige forum

Someone else already has the album, and the liner notes credit all of U2 playing on the song, including Bono on guitar! I knew it! :)

The studio version of One is ALREADY my favourite all time Mary song - I am absolutely in love with it! The last few months have been really hard for me, and I lost one of the most important people in my life (my Grandma), but listening to this song just lifted me onto cloud nine! Its bizarre!! Anyway, the studio version IS with u2! Bono sings the opening verse, but apart from the odd adlibs and one chorus together, its all down to Mary. The track is produced by Ron Fair, and the vocals are MJB and Bono. Bono is also credited as playing the guitar , as is The Edge - Adam Clayton is bass. Drums and percussion is down to Larry Mullen. On the sleeve, the song is credited as "Mary J Blige AND u2".

Fucking brilliant!!!!

Way to go U2 and MJ :)

Actually if you know anything at all about vocal talent you would know that her voice is amazing and beautiful. It may not be your favorite style of singing but there is no denying that she has got talent.

its not a FACT that her voice is amazing and beautiful... you may think her voice sounds good, but it's not like she has an incredible range or anything... solid tone but so what, a million people have a solid tone in their voice... people like her cuz she feels the music much like the B man

i always thought it was full band from the beginning. surely if it said Mary J Blige feat. U2 it would more than just Bono?

Good to hear. It almost makes it like the second “official” version of One.

What are the 4 other versions of One released on CD?

There are another 2 versions which were released but on a non-U2 DVDs. What are they?

And another version which was not released but it should have been. Maybe the most special version?

Last edited:
Hoodlem said:
Actually if you know anything at all about vocal talent you would know that her voice is amazing and beautiful. It may not be your favorite style of singing but there is no denying that she has got talent.

Nope, i dont know anything about singing. Im just some asshole who plays guitar. Infact i like having one of the best U2 songs ever being butchered by someone else's halfass singing.

I like it...not as good as the original but its a good remake of the song.

JMScoopy said:

Nope, i dont know anything about singing. Im just some asshole who plays guitar. In fact i like having one of the best U2 songs ever being butchered by someone else's halfass singing.

:lol: :up:

Mary J. Blige makes me cringe.

why does bono sound like he has been shouting all day and then went in the studio to cut the song???

ALBUM VERSION IS THE BEST (Achtung baby, bono's voice was better on that track)

This song is one of those great things in music.

The only stylistic touch on it is the drumbeat. It's much more up front. Other than that, it's the live version of One.

Last edited:
I compared this version to the Shelter From The Storm DVD. It does seem to be the same take, particularly Bono's vocals.

Mary has done a few extra vocal overdubs, and Edge's guitar is much more forward in the mix, but it still seems like the same version.

I like it, I wouldn't say that her version is THE BEST but It's good, I've always like her more than other's in her genre.

she's got a great voice and the band sounds great

I think it's interesting how a voice from the typical pop culture blends so well with a band like U2 :hmm:

but I think this version is great. certainly doesn't exceed the actual version of 'One' off of AB, but it's a great cover for a very great cause :up:

U2Soar said:
Good to hear. It almost makes it like the second “official” version of One.

What are the 4 other versions of One released on CD?

There are another 2 versions which were released but on a non-U2 DVDs. What are they?

And another version which was not released but it should have been. Maybe the most special version?

There are more than four versions on CD:

Studio Version
Automatic Baby Version
Live, Sydney, November 27, 1993 (BBC Sessions)
Live, Modena, September 12, 1995 (Passengers)
Live, Philadelphia, June 7, 1997 (Tibetan Freedom Concert)
Live, Mexico City, December 3, 1997 (Hasta La Vista Baby)
Live, Slane Castle, September 1, 2001 (Live at Slane Promo)
Live, South Africa, November 29, 2003 (46664)

I may be missing some.

The two DVDs are Live 8 and 46664.

I'm not sure which version "should have been released." I'm partial to the January 1, 2000 performance with Bono and Daniel Lanois, myself.

OK, what do I win?

she's got a great voice and adds a flair to the song, but personally, the song loses it's lustre when the singer sounds "great". The singer should sound sincere and hurt and reflective and genuine. When Bono sings its all that. When Mary sings it belongs on a radio station.

that sound of bono that you say is taut and stretched...that's sincerity.

JMScoopy said:

Nope, i dont know anything about singing. Im just some asshole who plays guitar. Infact i like having one of the best U2 songs ever being butchered by someone else's halfass singing.

Scoopy you're a pretty closed-minded individual I must say.

:down:

Wow. They managed to turn something that was very intimate yet universal into a complete ott cheese-fest. I was half expecting a chorus of clapping as the song reached its dramatic climax.

Back
Top Bottom