LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I listened to Bono's interview with Zane Lowe earlier and apparently their studio is full of mice. :lol: I had to laugh as I imagined the band all screaming every time one runs across the floor. No wonder the album is taking so long.

Oh god. I just imagined Larry up on a chair. Holding his drumsticks up high over his head. :lol: :lol:

Edge would want to catch them and make them pets. Meanwhile, Bono runs around yelling about his precious lyrics, and Adam calmly sips tea, having been the one to let them loose in the first place. :lmao:

(I clearly have an overactive imagination. :reject: )

shit. God stepped through the room

:lmao: I am laughing way too hard at that.

As a guitarist, I do think he's become lazy. I don't think he's stumped for ideas, but I suppose it's possible.

Compare the complexity, variety, and innovation of the guitar work in the 80s and 90s to what he's done on the last three albums. It doesn't compare. The guitar playing is boring. He's one of my favorite guitarists, but he's been more of a disappointment than any other aspect of the band over the last three albums.

He's not the first musician to coast, and he won't be the last.

The guitars on Invisible are pretty sweet, though. The effects on the verse riff are lovely and unique, and he's at his best when using unique effects. His style isn't all that interesting when it's unadorned.

fair enough.. I'll disagree with you on most counts there. I don't think it's laziness.. though you can make an argument that he hasn't played as commanding a role as he once did..

I think for better or for worse his main focus is Malibu housing songwriting these days :wink:

Who mentioned a source about a big announcement on Fallon?

Would they really announce their album on late night tv? Of course the best option was the Super Bowl, but they royally screwed that one over.

I like invisible. Wish it was longer. Not sure what their plan is. Just release the music. Have some confidence in it, or just retire.

fair enough.. I'll disagree with you on most counts there. I don't think it's laziness.. though you can make an argument that he hasn't played as commanding a role as he once did..

I think for better or for worse his main focus is Malibu housing songwriting these days :wink:

I play the guitar and at times I get frustrated with the Edge when he isn't at his best (which has honestly been arguable since Achtung Baby). However, I respect that he won't sacrifice the piano/synths/other textures of a song and let them get overrun with his guitar parts when it would be inappropriate to do so. I don't think more guitar would've made Ordinary Love any better. It would've been inappropriate if he had some crazy solo or whatever else. It was a poppy piano ballad.

As far as the last 3 albums, I thought he was great during HTDAAB. Very straightforward guitar stuff that was easy for me to play... ATYCLB and NLOTH were frustrating for me because he went back to ambient, not-so-straightforward stuff...

Who mentioned a source about a big announcement on Fallon?

Would they really announce their album on late night tv? Of course the best option was the Super Bowl, but they royally screwed that one over.

I like invisible. Wish it was longer. Not sure what their plan is. Just release the music. Have some confidence in it, or just retire.

Kings of Leon announced "mechanical bull" on Fallon's show. Now that he's taking over the Tonight Show and U2 are on his first show, that will probably pull in as big of an audience that Late Night TV can.

Sounds like they are going towards Achtung Baby except they want to go right to the roots and make it more like an Old School version of Achtung Baby.

:love: In other words, they are trying to achieve my ultimate fantasy. :drool:

If this even remotely happens, I'm going to have to throw my wallet, my bank account, and probably both my kids at them. :lol:

Exactly. U2 fans will love it, and fuck the rest. I don't think the U2 that made The Unforgettable Fire cared quite so much about self indulgence and relevancy...they did what they wanted and made powerful, strange music that resonated with millions and is now considered to be a classic.
You don't really know this band do you? Pride alone and the amount of work they put it that one song shows how much relevancy was important to them, the only difference was they weren't admitting it like they are now. Were they worried about self indulgence? Probably not, but that attitude has lead somewhat to their negative persona. It's a double edged sword they probably struggle with all the time.

U2 don't consider Invisible to be the first single (even if fans might) so I can't see them announcing the album on Fallon - especially if they perform Invisible.

If that happened fans would definitely see Invisible as the lead single, totally against the band's strategy.

They are more likely to give another cagey interview.

Out of interest - where is this "dank basement" studio in London - anyone know? Folks must have seen them there? Or heard something perhaps?

But in the era of Twitter et al somebody must have seen them and posted info somewhere no?

If a dedicated U2 fan happens to bump into them on the street outside the studio and makes the connection? Sure. If not, London is like New York and most people won't make a fuss over seeing a random celebrity on the street.

And a lot of the famous studios here aren’t in really busy areas. The most famous is of course Abbey Road, and it’s a bit different as it attracts tourists, but it’s in the middle of an otherwise relatively quiet residential area, not in the heart of the city – not a lot of natural foot traffic etc to notice such comings and goings (apart from tourists doing the Beatles zebra crossing thing) and a lot of the other famous studios I can think of here are somewhat similar. They might bump into someone walking their dog, not the kind of street level traffic they would have had every time they came or went from the studio in New York.

funny, remember how U2 were doing photoshoots in the London underground last fall? it seems now that these shots ended up in the Invisible Making Of doc and that they were playing on the story behind the song.

so, they were doing promo work for a song that they never intended to be the first single, in October? no sense this makes.

I think Invisible was once intended to be the first single.

all this sneak preview nonsense is a bunch of hooey. they changed their release plan, and are now having to invent excuses as to why they are releasing Invisible.

Out of interest - where is this "dank basement" studio in London - anyone know? Folks must have seen them there? Or heard something perhaps?

I think the dank basement is in/near Dublin, not London - Reeve Carney is/was in Dublin and tweeted that he spent some time hanging out with them where they are recording late last week. (didn't mention them by name but its inferred...)

funny, remember how U2 were doing photoshoots in the London underground last fall? it seems now that these shots ended up in the Invisible Making Of doc and that they were playing on the story behind the song.

so, they were doing promo work for a song that they never intended to be the first single, in October? no sense this makes.

all this sneak preview nonsense is a bunch of hooey. they changed their release plan, and are now having to invent excuses as to why they are releasing Invisible.

Agree with that. That footage wouldn't have just been for a making of.
This was going to be out in the Fall of 2013 originally and they got cold feet. They are now torturously undoing a lot of the DM production IMO. Which may or may not be a bad thing, we'll find out in about 6 months I guess.

Great point.

Adds to the idea these they got cold feet about the direction of the material at the last second.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom