Lovetown Filmed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
For awhile, it has been discussed that a Lovetown gig might have been filmed all the way through, and could be released some day. We know that Streets and IWF were filmed on December 31st, and a few songs were filmed at one of the Oz concerts, but that, I suppose, is the extent of our knowledge. I just noticed something, though, that made me more optimistic about a possible Lovetown DVD release.

I am somewhat bored right now, and I decided to watch the easter-eggs on the Zoo TV DVD. One of them (the third one here) is all of the "Interference" documentary stuff from the Achtung Baby Video release. One of the "Interference" bits is a little video montage of the band's history, from the Boy era to the Zoo era.

When it gets to the R&H era, first it shows one of the bits of the Oz concerts that we know was filmed: God Part Deux. Then, however, it shows a bit of a performance of When Love Comes To Town, and labels it as "December 31st 1989". I've never seen this clip before, and I'm assuming they're not lying, and that video is from December 31, 1989. Then, it shows another video clip, this time of Bono giving the "dream it all up again" speech, from the December 27 show, IIRC.

Wouldn't it be awesome if these gigs were filmed?

Common knowledge? I certainly didn't know that... this topic came up in another thread a few weeks ago, and no one mentioned that they had any evidence that any of the Point Depot shows were filmed, beyond Streets and IWF from 12/31...

First of all, thanks for posting something about this. Some ppl on here can come across rude, can't they?

Its such a great era for the band and the prospect of a pro-shot release in some form is VERY exciting. :up:

Guys, He's talking about Lovetowm!

Wasn't the New Years show in Dublin shown on tele and radio anyways?

Radio, yes. The first two songs were on television (Streets->IWF). I wish the rest was, because at least then we'd have a nice little pro-shot to torrent down.

Richard Lowenstein definitely directed and edited the 18 November 1989 Sydney concert into a broadcast worthy film. ABC-TV (Australia) show "rage" broadcast a 6 song set from this concert a couple of times in 1990. Tracks included Desire, Hawkmoon, Watchtower, God Part 2 and two others which slip my mind (must try to dig out VHS copy from garage!).

I attended the 21 October plus 18 & 19 November concert that year. There were no cameras other than a boom camera at the October gig but the crews were there for both November gigs. I'm told the cameras were present on 20 November too.

an Löwenstein did an amazing job - you can see some of this wonderful clips on Youtube.

as a proshot you can find on youtube at least:
All along the Watchtower
All I want is you
Hawkmoon

would be so wonderful to see this on DVD in a good quality some day - they were such a great liveact these days. Best of them all.

I truly hope they make a dvd of those shows, Hawknoon, Desire, God Part 2 and All I want is you from those shows are some of the best U2 performances ever.
I was at a few of the European gigs, I was 15-16, they were out ofthis world.

:sad:Well Dublin 30th and New Years Eve (apart from 1st 2 songs new years eve) were DEFINITELY NOT filmed.

I was there and for new years eve, I was in the pit at the front of the Point and the cameras were pointed down after "I will follow" so no luck for Dublin i'm afraid.

I attended the 21 October plus 18 & 19 November concert that year. There were no cameras other than a boom camera at the October gig but the crews were there for both November gigs. I'm told the cameras were present on 20 November too.

There was no show on the 20th of November. The November Sydney shows were 17, 18, and 19.

I was at the Amsterdam show ( the one where Bono lost his voice )
And I was at the Rotterdam 01-10-90 show.
Both nights no Cameras:sad:

A full Lovetown show released would just be:drool::drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Can`t wait for the U2:18 Singles Remaster:wink:

I was at the Amsterdam show ( the one where Bono lost his voice )
And I was at the Rotterdam 01-10-90 show.
Both nights no Cameras:sad:

A full Lovetown show released would just be:drool::drool:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Can`t wait for the U2:18 Singles Remaster:wink:

We need an Unreleased and Rare remaster - a bonus track can be the extended single edit of Numb! (aka the album version)

The November 17th and 18th Sydney shows were filmed in full without question. I had heard that the show on the 19th was also filmed but had no independent confirmation of that (IE someone that was there) until this thread. So it would appear that all three were most likely filmed.

The Dublin December 31st show was filmed, completely. I don't think the band cared for it though as they did not like the Point Depot as a venue at that time.

Other than that, I don't believe there were any other shows filmed with full production. There are pro shots with limited angles though of any show where the stadium set up was used.

Unfortunately I doubt any of it will ever see the light of day other than what has already been released.

I could see a DVD from the Lovetown tour being included as an extra in a deluxe remastered version of the Rattle and Hum album, as the Paris concert was included with Joshua Tree release. This is merely conjecture.

Back
Top Bottom