Live songs that have lost their 'steam'...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatlesboy

War Child
Chicago, IL (In the kingdom of South Suburbia!)
I may get some flamage for saying this, but does anyone agree that there are a few U2 classics that seem to be losing (if not lost completely) their emotion/energy in a live performance by the band?

The modern live versions of songs like WOWY, Pride and Bad just seem really weak and sluggish compared to the old days (I do realize Bono's voice is not the same as it was a few years ago, but the band in general just seems a bit bored with some of these) and there seems to be far more 'goosebump'/adrenaline moments in the live versions of material on the newer albums...

Don't get me wrong, I love this band to death and I love the above mentioned songs to no end, but it seems like it might be time to play some of these songs, which U2 has performed a billion times, a lot less frequently...

I was thinking about this after reading a thread about WOWY not being played 24/7 on the Vertigo tour. To me it was almost a relief... :|

And as much as I hate to say it even WTSHNN (Which I couldn't imagine not being played at a U2 show!) seems to be gradually losing it's intensity. I dunno....
:(

On the other side of the coin, I will say the the live performances of the new stuff is IMO AMAZING!!! Vertigo, SYCMIOYO :up:

Just my two cents...

Last edited:
I get bored during Pride-Streets-One.

But I don't during New Year's Day, Bullet the Blue Sky...so it isn't just that the songs are old. They are overplayed and just don't have the energy they once did.

Pride should be replaced with I Will Follow
One should be repaced with WOWY

Pride is a great song that is completely played out and lacks energy when performed live.

One is a fantastic studio track but does not translate well to the arena. WOWY is much more powerful in a concert setting than One.

-Migdilio

But removing Streets? That would neuter the entire show. That's taking the heart out of the body, the parts are all there - it can't live.

-Migdilio

I feel Beautiful Day was much better 4 years ago.
And Sunday Bloody Sunday has sounded better too.
Yet I still love them both, and I'd never want them off the set.

Pride maybe, but With Or Without you, surely.

I don't think any song that gets the crowd going should be taken out. While the minority might be sick of WOWY, One, Streets, Bad, Pride etc. Its because you have listened to it a gazillion times. 90% of the concert goers want these songs.

Songs like Beautiful Day, Elevation, Mysterious ways should be a staple, and played moreso than not. These numbers get the crowd singing, and then when they throw in curveballs like Gloria, Electric Co. or who knows maybe even 11 O Clock Tick Tock, the crowd will be more receptive.

They have to win the crowd over every night, and by playing their hits is their best way of doing that.

Sken

You all have to remember that they're always playing for someone who's seeing them for the first time, hence those 'classiscs' are essentially a requirement for the show.

I don't think the crowd would be tired of listening to them unless the band sounded like they were tired of playing them...

I think songs like Pride, Streets, One, Mysterious Ways, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the blue sky sound exactly the same as they did on the last tour. I used to get goosebumps everytime I heard those songs from a new tour as they sounded re-constructed and fresh. now they just sound bland. I know they didn't have much rehearsal time, but hopefully they change the old songs more once they’ve been played for a while.

I'm just glad they brought back Gloria and Electric Co.

Bring on Treasure, and the crowd'll go nuts, I bet. Replace Pride with it. Two upbeat rockers that get the crowd moving. Of course the casual fans don't know A) The history behind Treasure or B) Treasure itself, but that won't detract from the reaction. READ: An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart.

Mysterious Ways was a lot better on the previous tours. It lost something now, which saddens me.
With or Without You and Pride are the obvious choices.

Why would anyone write Bullet? Unlike some, I love the new versions. Edge's solos from Pheonix and Denver are amazing. It's only going to get better.

I think Bad sounds as good as it ever has, especially since they are completing the song now and not running it into Streets. I think the other songs mentioned sound amazing, but I wouldn't cry if they cut out Pride, One, New Years Day, or Sunday Bloody Sunday for some sets. However, the reaction these songs get rivals Beautiful Day or one of the other more popular set choices.

The current version of Bullet is the best since Zoo TV.

The Achtung Baby encore is brutally good.

Last edited:
I think most of these tunes (ie Pride) could work again if the band played them hardcore like they used to (think the R&H version!). Though Bono may not be able to hit some of those notes anymore his vocals could be adjusted accordingly and it could still be a rippin', highly charged performance.

It's not that I don't love the songs, they just need to turn up the fire a bit!

Back
Top Bottom