Linkin Park, Green Day, ColdPlay, NiN the Next U2???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
david said:

Uh, there was actually a really clever marketing scheme behind Year Zero and it debuted at #2 on the charts.

Yes there actually was a very unique marketing scheme behind the album, but it was very "die hard" fans only. I've only started hearing about all of this in the past week or so. The only reason I knew it came out was I was in Best Buy the day of it's release.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Is that a serious answer?

They're like the UK equivalent to Nickelback, except throw in some mild Oasis and there you go: Carnation Instant Shit.

Oasis could have been huge on a scale to compare to U2, but they dropped the ball 10 years ago with a combination of band rucks & Noel G throwing away too much of his best work as b-sides.

I actually don't see there being a "next U2". They are on their own IMO, in the same way that looking for the next Beatles, Presley, Madonna etc is equally pointless. They are all artists / bands that open so many doors for others to follow that they will always be the acts (like them or hate them) that the rest in that genre will seek to emulate.

I see Green day taking over as the biggest band in the world when u2 slow down, i quite like the band but hate their fan base.

Their cover of lennons working class hero aint too shabby either.

cdparky said:

Oasis could have been huge on a scale to compare to U2, but they dropped the ball 10 years ago with a combination of band rucks & Noel G throwing away too much of his best work as b-sides.

I actually don't see there being a "next U2". They are on their own IMO, in the same way that looking for the next Beatles, Presley, Madonna etc is equally pointless. They are all artists / bands that open so many doors for others to follow that they will always be the acts (like them or hate them) that the rest in that genre will seek to emulate.

I was just talking about Oasis's style, the working class rockers, but you brought up a good point as well.

david said:

Uh, there was actually a really clever marketing scheme behind Year Zero and it debuted at #2 on the charts.

yeah anyone with any insight into it could see it was a totally awesome and unique marketing scheme.. much better than a lost demo tape anyway ;)

You people have to be kidding about Green Day.

They are terrible in every way and just totally pander to the "I am a 14 year old misfit croud". No thanks, go back to making songs about masterbation. They haven't reinvented themselves at all except for totally changing thier sound to be played on pop radio. Before that, it was the same old same old that was going to get them totally forgotten. They had thier one album that played well with a certain base and I predict the next will do somewhat decent and that will be it. How long can they pretend they are punk and rebels and wear make-up, they are getting close to 40.

I agree with those who think that there may not be a next U2 for quite some time, and there certainly won't be one while the real U2 is still around. I try to listen to a lot of new music comming out but I just don't hear it right now.

silvrlvr said:

Yes, but Dr. Muse, those albums were made in the last decade, when the music business had not become as market-oriented, digital-oriented and commerical tie-in oriented as it is ow. I don't think you can argue that ATYCLB or HTDAAB are "albums that U2 wanted to make and the mainstram accepted them." Both those albums were an attempt to appeal to the mainstream, or at least the mainstream in alternative music, since the mainstream is Kelly Clarkson and Justin Timberlake.

I would argue just the opposite.

Yes, the last two albums are a TAD more accessible, but they are hardly mainstream, even in alternative music. Mainstream is dominated by an odd version of R&B, rap and the combination of both. Country music is still wildly popular. And while there may be a token hit like "Mr. Brightside" or "American Idiot" by rock music, most of it today's music is not rock.

I recall an article where the Edge relayed a comment from his daughter after she heard HTDAAB. She said that it doesn't sound like anything that's on the radio, in a worried tone.

When I heard that, I was estatic. JT was nothing like the other music on the radio, when pop music (like Timberlake and Clarkson) and big hair metal bands dominated. AB was nothing like other music on the radio, when grunge quickly dominated the scene. "Pop" was nothing like other music on the radio, which was dominated by Spice Girls, early N'Sync, Hanson and the like. So once again, U2 produced an album nothing like anything on the radio, and once again, they came away with a hit album and some hit songs.

If HTDAAB is a bit more accessible, I would also argue that songs like "With or Without You", a slow love song which always are big hits, was also accessible. I would argue that a simple 4/4 beat rocking song like "Desire" was accessible. I would argue that "Mysterious Ways" or another slow love song, "One" were accessible. What made them stand out is that there weren't many songs like that on the radio. This was true for "Beautiful Day" and this was true for "Vertigo".

Going back to the overall topic, I have to agree with the person that said music is more "disposable" now. Gone are the times where a label let an artist grow. Now, labels expect instant hits. They *might* allow one album to grow, provided there was at least mild success, but if the second doesn't soar, that's it - contract over.

Coldplay has U2's mellow side down perfectly. Unfortunately, I have yet to see Coldplay do U2's rocking side - which have generated quite a few U2 hits. I have yet to see Coldplay really mix up their sound and take some chances. If they do, maybe... but right now, no.

Green Day came back big with "American Idiot". Unfortunately, the sound is exactly the same as "Dookie", released 10 years earlier. I haven't heard Green Day take chances and evolve. Their sound appealed once in the mid-90's and it appealed again 10 years later. I wouldn't be surprised if Green Day once again fades away only to have some hit in another 5 or so years. They've also been around a fairly long time. The Beatles' career was over by the time Green Day scored their second monster album! So I feel the time has pretty much passed Green Day.

Linkin Park may change their sound, but I'm not sure if they can score big again as they did in the 90's.

And the other bands may have the respect of their peers, but from a hit song poiint of view, they were more like one- or two-hit wonders!

But there's nothing wrong with bands emulating U2 - both in sound and style. Bono's abundant charisma - perhaps one of the most charismatic people on the planet - has not only served him well within U2, but in the world of charity. It's a rare find to get a front man like him. Some complain of Bono's supposedly "recent lazy lyrics". I would argue that "Walk On", "Beautiful Day", "Love & Peace", "Vertigo", "City of Blinding Lights", and the themes of "Stuck" and "Sometimes" are just as powerful, if not better, lyrically, than some of U2's other big hits (as if "With or Without You" or "Ultraviolet" are lyrical wonders). In other words, to have a singer that charismatic, that poetic and that good of a lead singer, who is also that concerned about the world, is nearly impossible to find. For that reason alone, there may never be another U2.

Edge's sound is unique. If another guitarist uses that echo effect, it will simply sound too much like the Edge, so other guitarists have to be careful. Edge knows how to play, as evidenced by the solos he'll rip off in concert, but he has found an eloquent way to be subdued, often bringing a haunting effect to U2's sound. Again, few guitartists are as talented.

Adam and Larry may not be the best, or even close to the best, in music. But they complement each other well. The two of them have created some of the most memorable basslines or drumbeats in music history.

And few bands have managed to stay together, with the same manager, for nearly 30 years!

As such, I doubt there'll be another U2. But if U2 can inspire bands to be as talented, to take time to write powerful lyrics, to take time to let their voices soar and create memorable mucis, to be a true presence on stage, and to be politically active, then I'm all for it. They may not have the careers of U2 or the Beatles, but for the time they have the spotlight, let it shine brilliantly.l

doctorwho said:

Yes, the last two albums are a TAD more accessible, but they are hardly mainstream, even in alternative music. Mainstream is dominated by an odd version of R&B, rap and the combination of both. Country music is still wildly popular. And while there may be a token hit like "Mr. Brightside" or "American Idiot" by rock music, most of it today's music is not rock.

I recall an article where the Edge relayed a comment from his daughter after she heard HTDAAB. She said that it doesn't sound like anything that's on the radio, in a worried tone.

When I heard that, I was estatic. JT was nothing like the other music on the radio, when pop music (like Timberlake and Clarkson) and big hair metal bands dominated. AB was nothing like other music on the radio, when grunge quickly dominated the scene. "Pop" was nothing like other music on the radio, which was dominated by Spice Girls, early N'Sync, Hanson and the like. So once again, U2 produced an album nothing like anything on the radio, and once again, they came away with a hit album and some hit songs.

If HTDAAB is a bit more accessible, I would also argue that songs like "With or Without You", a slow love song which always are big hits, was also accessible. I would argue that a simple 4/4 beat rocking song like "Desire" was accessible. I would argue that "Mysterious Ways" or another slow love song, "One" were accessible. What made them stand out is that there weren't many songs like that on the radio. This was true for "Beautiful Day" and this was true for "Vertigo".

Going back to the overall topic, I have to agree with the person that said music is more "disposable" now. Gone are the times where a label let an artist grow. Now, labels expect instant hits. They *might* allow one album to grow, provided there was at least mild success, but if the second doesn't soar, that's it - contract over.

Coldplay has U2's mellow side down perfectly. Unfortunately, I have yet to see Coldplay do U2's rocking side - which have generated quite a few U2 hits. I have yet to see Coldplay really mix up their sound and take some chances. If they do, maybe... but right now, no.

Green Day came back big with "American Idiot". Unfortunately, the sound is exactly the same as "Dookie", released 10 years earlier. I haven't heard Green Day take chances and evolve. Their sound appealed once in the mid-90's and it appealed again 10 years later. I wouldn't be surprised if Green Day once again fades away only to have some hit in another 5 or so years. They've also been around a fairly long time. The Beatles' career was over by the time Green Day scored their second monster album! So I feel the time has pretty much passed Green Day.

Linkin Park may change their sound, but I'm not sure if they can score big again as they did in the 90's.

And the other bands may have the respect of their peers, but from a hit song poiint of view, they were more like one- or two-hit wonders!

But there's nothing wrong with bands emulating U2 - both in sound and style. Bono's abundant charisma - perhaps one of the most charismatic people on the planet - has not only served him well within U2, but in the world of charity. It's a rare find to get a front man like him. Some complain of Bono's supposedly "recent lazy lyrics". I would argue that "Walk On", "Beautiful Day", "Love & Peace", "Vertigo", "City of Blinding Lights", and the themes of "Stuck" and "Sometimes" are just as powerful, if not better, lyrically, than some of U2's other big hits (as if "With or Without You" or "Ultraviolet" are lyrical wonders). In other words, to have a singer that charismatic, that poetic and that good of a lead singer, who is also that concerned about the world, is nearly impossible to find. For that reason alone, there may never be another U2.

Edge's sound is unique. If another guitarist uses that echo effect, it will simply sound too much like the Edge, so other guitarists have to be careful. Edge knows how to play, as evidenced by the solos he'll rip off in concert, but he has found an eloquent way to be subdued, often bringing a haunting effect to U2's sound. Again, few guitartists are as talented.

Adam and Larry may not be the best, or even close to the best, in music. But they complement each other well. The two of them have created some of the most memorable basslines or drumbeats in music history.

And few bands have managed to stay together, with the same manager, for nearly 30 years!

As such, I doubt there'll be another U2. But if U2 can inspire bands to be as talented, to take time to write powerful lyrics, to take time to let their voices soar and create memorable mucis, to be a true presence on stage, and to be politically active, then I'm all for it. They may not have the careers of U2 or the Beatles, but for the time they have the spotlight, let it shine brilliantly.l
:yes::up:

doctorwho said:

I agree :up:

how about The Killers? here is a recent review of a concert in vegas...

THE KILLERS
June 1 at the Hard Rock Summer Stage
BY MIKE PREVATT

"It's nice to be working in Las Vegas again -- thanks for the job." With that, Brandon Flowers not only played to his crowd, but proved he's been taking his Bono lessons. The U2 singer uses such lines to humble himself to his fans (or something to that effect), and on June 1 at Hard Rock's makeshift amphitheater, Flowers tweaked the sentiment to the approval of 7,200 fans (not including all the hotel guests watching from their "skybox" rooms).

He didn't stop there. In true Bono fashion, he flaunted a physical theatricality as he prowled the stage, often perched himself atop monitors while singing assertively, threw random refrains from Killers and others' song catalogs between numbers, and, yes, perfected his onstage pronouncements. "It feels like we've still got something inside us," a reappearing Flowers told a mostly exiting crowd that assumed the concert was over, followed by a reprise the last half of "When You Were Young." Totally extraneous, but endearing nonetheless, for The Killers, like its fans, could not get enough. And for their singer, who admitted seven months ago to this paper he was unsure he could command an arena-sized audience, he proved otherwise.

There were other indicators that The Killers have enhanced their live act during its Sam's Town world tour, now winding down in the U.S. The tunes from Sam's Town are road-tested enough to feel like natural Killers songs, stripped somewhat of the digital bombast found on the record, yet filled out nicely thanks to touring multi-instrumentalist Ted Sablay. The older tracks often sported new intros that created some suspense as to what would be played next. And there were even surprises like "Shadowplay," a Joy Division cover -- part of the soundtrack for the Ian Curtis biopic, Control -- that has caused an online uproar among many of the Manchester, England band's fans. Well, wipe that eyeliner running down your cheeks, fanboy purists -- this version rocks.

In fact, there was rarely a moment last Friday when The Killers didn't rock. Instead of slowing the show down with a suite of mid- and downtempo songs, as they did in Vegas shows last year, the band evenly distributed the bigger, faster numbers throughout the set list, keeping a consistent energy throughout the 100-minute show. Or maybe it was just a testament to how many exciting songs make up a Killers set list. Either way, they're closer than ever to earning those U2 comparisons. Imagine what they'll sound like should they transcend them.

I like The Killers well enough, but I can't help feeling that there's a sort of hollowness at the centre of the band and their music, and that on their latest they try to reach for substance that seems outside their reach, at least for now. I feel even more so after watching them live; they were good but I just felt there was something missing, a certain spark or X-factor or whatever you call it.

The "next U2" thing is pretty silly IMO. The thing with U2 themselves is that they're not the "next" anyone; all great bands past and future are great in their own right and not because they're a Version.2 of some previous band.

Saracene said:
I like The Killers well enough, but I can't help feeling that there's a sort of hollowness at the centre of the band and their music, and that on their latest they try to reach for substance that seems outside their reach, at least for now.

Yup. They tried to be U2 with Sam's Town and failed miserably. :shrug: They need to keep to writing catchy, memorable dance songs.

Sam's Town > HTDAAB

And yes its much too early to compare the Killers to U2, but out of all the bands out there, they might have the most potential.

Last edited:
Dusty Bottoms said:
Sam's Town > HTDAAB

In terms of pretentiousness & attempts to sound like everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Meatloaf.

Nine Inch Nails ?
next U2 ??
bullshit , NIN is better , darker and much harder
although i can hardly listen to them , thier music is way too heavy , maybe someday...
Trent Reznor is more like Johnny Cash mixed with Charles Manson ( ex-beach boys wannabe ) and Sex Pistols

Batman-The-Riddler-Poster-C10000163.jpeg

Dusty Bottoms said:

And U2 has never been pretentious? Looks to me like The Killers are on the right track ;)

haha, true. ;) i still don't think that a band with one to two albums should be playing arenas, but i guess that's the industry now.

When a band have an international smash hit with the quality of a Somebody Told Me or a Mr. Brightside, arenas are the least that can accommodate a band of such stature.

I haven't read the whole thread, but this question has been said about REM, Radiohead, Coldplay, Oasis...etc etc.........but NIN? No way.
Btw, I love NIN, but no comparison whatsoever.

I actually think NiN is the more important of those acts mentioned(not including REM and maybe Coldplay). But Reznor doesn't have the ability to be like Bono.
And NiN is really Reznor with studio musicians playing the albums and live ones touring. Not really a "band" or "group" in the U2 sense.

Back
Top Bottom