Let's Wager Some Money / First single release speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm also assuming those are uk figures, though for the us it's also worth pointing out that singles as a whole aren't that big of a deal anymore. more people just buy the album or download it for free. personally, i'm a bit of a completist so if it's a band i really like, i buy all the singles anyway.

Yeah, but U2 always likes to reach beyond their fanbase and even beyond the people who actually buy or listen to records in general. There are still radio-only people left, and I think U2 definitely reached them with Beautiful Day. I think it's arguable that U2's focus on reaching beyond those who are actually into music is why they have remained relevant while REM has nearly vanished from the radar as far as the average, not-very-interested in modern music American is concerned. But everyone knows Beautiful Day--and Vertigo nearly to the same degree because of the iPod commercial, which again reached the audience that doesn't follow music.

U2 seem to be content to just release the album this time, which may mark the beginning of their retreat from the American general public's consciousness. Unless the music is extraordinary. Fingers crossed.

i still think it's weird how quiet things are. i really thought we'd at least know what the first single would be and when we'll hear it by now.

i still think it's weird how quiet things are. i really thought we'd at least know what the first single would be and when we'll hear it by now.

Yeah, I just edited my post above with this thought in mind. I don't think we'll see another 800,000+ units sold in the first week this time around.

lets not kid ourselves. these guys have huge egos and they want to stay relevant. i love bono's quote about having to move down to the "middleweight" ranks to find some fighters to take on. When they talk about 2009 being their year I can only imagine they have high hopes for the album and that does not seem like a retreat statement.

On a side note I think they are somewhat surprised that no one has knocked them out of the top spot and there really are "0" contenders on the horizon...
IMo

I'm going for today, the 2nd, because it's my birthday. Here's to hope for a great birthday present!

lets not kid ourselves. these guys have huge egos and they want to stay relevant. i love bono's quote about having to move down to the "middleweight" ranks to find some fighters to take on. When they talk about 2009 being their year I can only imagine they have high hopes for the album and that does not seem like a retreat statement.

On a side note I think they are somewhat surprised that no one has knocked them out of the top spot and there really are "0" contenders on the horizon...
IMo

I think you are right that they want to stay relevant very badly. This time it almost seems as if they think the music will speak for itself, as in 1987 when they became the biggest band in the world much to their own surprise. With the last couple of albums, they almost seemed to convince the world that the music was better than it really was overall (an impression helped along by some knockout singles, namely Beautiful Day). They were on every TV show and in print everywhere making bold claims. Either they are very sure of the music this time, or they're backing off, or they just have revealed their master plan yet.

i don't think they're backing off, i think 2009 IS going to be their year, new music and loads of new songs, a big tour and hopefully a second album in november or so.
but i am also suprised about the fact that we did not hear anything about the new single yet, 2 months before the album comes out, and we didn't see a tracklist, anything about the album art/style, no pictures (except Q ) il'l think we will see something next week.

I think you are right that they want to stay relevant very badly. This time it almost seems as if they think the music will speak for itself, as in 1987 when they became the biggest band in the world much to their own surprise. With the last couple of albums, they almost seemed to convince the world that the music was better than it really was overall (an impression helped along by some knockout singles, namely Beautiful Day). They were on every TV show and in print everywhere making bold claims. Either they are very sure of the music this time, or they're backing off, or they just have revealed their master plan yet.

Well....just between you and me I was getting awfully tired of that whole "reapplying for the best band in the world" mumbo jumbo. Bono can get really annoying once he gets going. I'm sure in no time we'll be hearing him again in full force and wishing that he was quiet.

I completely agree. I love the quiet(er) confidence this time around because 1) it's less annoying and 2) it may imply a piece of work that needs no rhetorical defense.

I think it's kind of funny that so many of us are posting our dreams like they're information. :lol:

I have dreams all the time where I hear some big U2 news/ album info and I wake up feeling so excited. Then, as I slowly regain my mental faculties, I realise that indeed that album title, song name, release date, and tour image began and ended in my my own mind....It's heartbreaking. :sad:

Most recently my dreams have told me that U2 would partner with MacDonalds to promote their album, which would be titled March My Lady Through The Berry Field.

:lol:

I think it's kind of funny that so many of us are posting our dreams like they're information. :lol:

I have dreams all the time where I hear some big U2 news/ album info and I wake up feeling so excited. Then, as I slowly regain my mental faculties, I realise that indeed that album title, song name, release date, and tour image began and ended in my my own mind....It's heartbreaking. :sad:

Most recently my dreams have told me that U2 would partner with MacDonalds to promote their album, which would be titled March My Lady Through The Berry Field.

:lol:

You're going to laugh, because I had a dream the other night too. Swear to god.....In the dream I heard a couple of songs from the new album and they were all mid tempo boring and bland. :lol: I woke up and said to myself "Holy shit! I hope that was a dream!!!"

Maybe I need to step away from this forum from time to time. :D

You're going to laugh, because I had a dream the other night too. Swear to god.....In the dream I heard a couple of songs from the new album and they were all mid tempo boring and bland. :lol: I woke up and said to myself "Holy shit! I hope that was a dream!!!"

Maybe I need to step away from this forum from time to time. :D

You're right! I did laff! :lol:

Well, you're not gonna get me away from these forums right now. I'll just try to remember that dreams are just dreams, unless you're the type that's prone to premonitions...:wink:

I really think its quiet because its going to be a while before the single comes out. Just my personal thought.

I'll bet my $1 on no sooner than Feb. 1st.

IDK, just because they wrote a song about him like twenty years ago it doesn't mean that they'll base their album release off of that date. Whats next? kicking off their tour on Elvis' birthday?

I'd rather not read too much into these dates.

yeah i think Sicy is right. all this talk about "it might be tomorrow" is crazy. we will hear an announcement before it sees the light of day.

at the very least "the first single will be called XXX and will be released on XXX"
and we haven't even heard that.

Sigh. I think she's right about Feb.

Well judging by U2's prior single releases, they've been pretty consistent in releasing the single enough time before the album release to drum up publicity by playing on talk shows, music shows, etc.

Thats why it wouldn't make sense for me. You'd want to give yourself enough time to go around and advertise the single and upcoming album, right?

i'm going with 2 wagers now, lol:

Jan 8th - only if we hear something about a release in the next day or two. otherwise...

Jan 27th

Back
Top Bottom