Let's talk about Native Son...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Amazing song isn't it?

I love the beginning... before Bono starts singing, the music right there is explosive and fun, I really like it. I wish that U2 opened with the Native Son intro, and Bono didn't count "Uno, dos, tres, catorce"

Take the intro of Native Son and mix it with the final mix of Vertigo... that would be amazing.

I find it kind of dull myself. I think Vertigo is far more the exciting song...Native Son sounds fussy to me. But I still listen to it, as a novelty it's a really cool song, but as for the finished product I prefer Vertigo.

However I do agree that the Spanish count in to Vertigo is a bit spacey!

The best part of Native Son is the bridge, where Bono holds that note for approximately two years. Badass, when our band does Vertigo I'm gonna try and convince them to do that part instead of the "all of this can be yours" bridge :wink: Other than that, it's a tight song and I'm glad we have it, but Vertigo is much better. I dunno, I know it's political or whatever, but somehow Native Son just comes off cheesy to me, like it's trying to be something it's not. Perhaps this is just because I knew Vertigo first. But Vertigo is insanely underrated here. It's a badass rock song, and I love uno-dos-tres-CATORCE!

word life.

I don't think "Native Son" would have worked as well as "Vertigo" if it was released as a first single off of an album. It's a little too confrontational and "Vertigo" is a happier, more fun song. But "Native Son" does have a lot of good points.

It's funny in that interview published when the album came out, Bono said something like "it's astonishing that a man my age could sing a note like that" and he's talking about Sometimes......

Native Son is a whole step higher and even longer in duration.

Bono wanted that song on the album, you can't convince me otherwise, I'd guess Edge did too. Just a better song. Better guitar, better vocals, but it didn't have the hit factor, admittedly.
Cue Larry and Paul.

AtomicBono said:
The best part of Native Son is the bridge, where Bono holds that note for approximately two years. Badass, when our band does Vertigo I'm gonna try and convince them to do that part instead of the "all of this can be yours" bridge :wink:
word life.
Yes yes yes :drool: I love this part.. I love the song overall more than Vertigo, but the bridge is so great.

Native Son would have been an incredible addition to the album in a time when U2 didnt care about putting U.S politicians noses out of joint. A great fucking song, more weight than Vertigo.

AtomicBono said:
The best part of Native Son is the bridge, where Bono holds that note for approximately two years. Badass, when our band does Vertigo I'm gonna try and convince them to do that part instead of the "all of this can be yours" bridge :wink:

good luck with that -- it's an amazing note

U2DMfan said:
Just a better song. Better guitar, better vocals, but it didn't have the hit factor, admittedly.

Here, here. Native Son is a far far better song, Vertigo is a far far better single. Hello, hello.

U2DMfan said:
It's funny in that interview published when the album came out, Bono said something like "it's astonishing that a man my age could sing a note like that" and he's talking about Sometimes......

Native Son is a whole step higher and even longer in duration.

Bono wanted that song on the album, you can't convince me otherwise, I'd guess Edge did too. Just a better song. Better guitar, better vocals, but it didn't have the hit factor, admittedly.
Cue Larry and Paul.

:up:

i know i'm alone here in my thinking for the most part, but i find the outtakes for the album to be weaker than the versions that made the album.

i prefer vertigo over native son.
i prefer fast cars over xanax and wine.

but that's just me :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
i know i'm alone here in my thinking for the most part, but i find the outtakes for the album to be weaker than the versions that made the album.

it's not just you :wink: . Xanax is cool, but Fast Cars is better.

KhanadaRhodes said:

:down:

KhanadaRhodes said:

:up:

Vertigo is a better single. It's disposable and trashy fun, and very close to irritating. Native Son is hands down the better song. I stand by my belief that its should've been an important rocky album track rather than a single. Seems the rockiest parts of U2's latest albums are usually the singles while the album tracks are mellow or midtempo (sans Love and Peace or else, but it doesn't rock in my opinion. It tries real hard to but has never convinced me). Anyway, that's my little bit on this thread.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I find it kind of dull myself. I think Vertigo is far more the exciting song...Native Son sounds fussy to me. But I still listen to it, as a novelty it's a really cool song, but as for the finished product I prefer Vertigo.

However I do agree that the Spanish count in to Vertigo is a bit spacey!

I agree. For me I think Vertigo just has something that U2 found in it that Native Son doesn't

KhanadaRhodes said:

I agree 100%

I think Vertigo is lifeless, I expect to see a convertible speed off into the sunset and a car manufacturers logo to pop up at any second. Native Son at least uses the music to tell it's story, Vertigo is just going for bang for buck, so you are always in the best bit no matter what stage you tune in when you are flicking through the stations. It's a pop single. Native Son is a song. No contest for me. Not even close.

U2FanPeter said:
Imagine Bono having to sing that note 100+ times in cities around the world. Especially if it was Native SonX2.

u2fp

He'd only have to do it once, cos he'd be lip synching the rest of the time !

oops, don't open that can o worms :wink:

Ellay said:

He'd only have to do it once, cos he'd be lip synching the rest of the time !

oops, don't open that can o worms :wink:

its not lip synching, its called using a backing track :wink:

I don't know, I like the lyrics of Native Son, but the music in Vertigo is stronger, and by all accounts they're completely different songs, Native Son could have turned into a live anthem ala Bullet the Blue Sky, whereas Vertigo is an iconic single.

I'm in the small camp that doesn't hate Vertigo, I like both.

As for the Xanax versus Fast Cars, Fast Cars wins hands down.

Earnie Shavers said:
I think Vertigo is lifeless, I expect to see a convertible speed off into the sunset and a car manufacturers logo to pop up at any second. Native Son at least uses the music to tell it's story, Vertigo is just going for bang for buck, so you are always in the best bit no matter what stage you tune in when you are flicking through the stations. It's a pop single. Native Son is a song. No contest for me. Not even close.

So I guess its not a good song unless the lyrics aren't about a heavy subject then. :|

Its too bad we can't make a great fun song anymore

So what if it's a single? It's still fun, Native Sun like I said could have been a great live political anthem, but that doesn't make Vertigo bad.

gherman said:

So I guess its not a good song unless the lyrics aren't about a heavy subject then. :|

Its too bad we can't make a great fun song anymore

It's got virtually nothing to do with the lyrics.

discotech said:
native son is not better than vertigo. there's too much going on, too much guitar, and Vertigo flows so much more smoothly.

I agree.

Native Son has more overdubs which in the context of the song are rather unecessary. Vertigo has more of the "punk rock" feel. It's got more energy. It has "it," whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom