Least favorite songs from last 3 albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:eyebrow: Was this rereleased recently?

:wink:

No, no
Is one of the songs of The Unforgettable Fire...
I was listening it today and I've noticed that...this "song" is just a "nothing"
You know what I mean?
They could replace this song by a great one in the album...Love comes tumbling in my opnion :up:

p.s.: sorry by the bad english...=x brazilian girl...

Worst 3:

3) "Yahweh" - What is so odd about this song is how much more I appreciate the live version. Seriously. Acoustic is where it's at with "YHWH." HOWEVER, the topic at hand clearly addresses least favorite songs from the last 3 albumS - so here it is, sitting comfortably at #3. I really would like to enjoy this song, but it would seem as though it had dilapidated in the studio, moist with over-production and left grounded by a sense of contrived mirth. For what it's worth, though, there is something about the line, "this love is like a drop in the ocean" that makes me smile. I kinda like that part...

2) "A Man and a Woman" - U2's hackneyed attempt at catering to the adult contemporary crowd with this bromidic ode to love and the "mysterious distance" it creates between the two sexes. Even on so-called "bad songs," you could usually count on the Edge or Adam doing something interesting, but everyone pretty much phoned it in on this one. Also, Bono can be a good lyricist when he tries (I know it may not seem so with the latest albums, but then explain "Fast Cars" to me), but good lord, how many times does he have to use the word "love"?! Let's count... 9? Nine? NINE?! Sure, a couple come up in the chorus, but still... how about a bit of variety. Be more verbose, B-Man! At least he didn't use "kneel"...

1) "Miami" - I appreciate experimentation and all, but this song just fell flat on its' arse, in my opinion. It's got an alright phat beat (nothing to write home about, though), but Bono's lyrics and vocals are horrendous ("I said you looked like a Madonna/ You said... maybe/ Said I want to have your baby... baby"). I can kinda see what they were going for with this song (strolling through Miami beach, ho-hum, commenting on the sights and sounds), but U2 just missed the mark. ALSO, when the melody finally reaches its apex (after going nowhere), the big "riff" that comes blaring through the speakers just seems so... trite; blah blah blah. It may not be U2's worst song ("4th of July" anyone?), but I won't argue against it.

...and just for kicks and giggles, if I were to pick a song for the 4th slot, it'd probably be "Peace on Earth."

Also, for what it's worth, here is how I'd rank U2's latest records (from worst to best)...

3) How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
2) POP
1) All That You Can't Leave Behind

Catman:

1. Agreed on the album version of Yahweh. I like the alternate version the best! I do like the "love is just a drop in the ocean" line too though!

2. Agreed on MAW. Forget "love". Count the "soul"s! But what I do love about the song is that it doesn't try too hard to be anything. The production is just right and it's not full of bombast like some of the other songs.

3. Disagreed completely about Miami. To me, it's not about lyrics. It's about the sound! And I don't think the lyrics are that bad either but it's only an opinion. The sound of that lone synthesizer throughout and that offbeat drum and bass and the solo (although nothing exceptional) that comes crashing in after "here comes car chase"... It's so different from anything they have done and it rocks and it is cool as heck! That's why I like it.

Catman:

3. Disagreed completely about Miami. To me, it's not about lyrics. It's about the sound! And I don't think the lyrics are that bad either but it's only an opinion. The sound of that lone synthesizer throughout and that offbeat drum and bass and the solo (although nothing exceptional) that comes crashing in after "here comes car chase"... It's so different from anything they have done and it rocks and it is cool as heck! That's why I like it.

I so agree with you...This song is not about the lyrics, is about how it sounds ;)

Catman:

Can't remember which performance it is, but the 'bah, bah, bah, bah f**king, bah' (or whatever) is so awesome.

I hated this song, but hearing live versions of it made me change my mind. I now think it kicks some serious ass :up:

WTF.....

Grace is so beautiful....it's not boring at all, exercise some patience....next time you're driving in the rain, listen to this song, it will ease all your pain and free your mind :)

Seriously, Grace is awesome. I have never understood the abuse it gets around here. Elevation? Now there's a terrible song.

Unforgetable Title?

Meh, honestly I practically haven't touched the album since I bought it, plus How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb as a title is too long. Vertigo is really one of the only memorable songs from the album, and even it isn't that good. The album is entirely forgettable.

WTF.....

Grace is so beautiful....it's not boring at all, exercise some patience....next time you're driving in the rain, listen to this song, it will ease all your pain and free your mind :)

It never rains anymore, but when it does, i'll give it a try

i like grace, but can understand the dislike for it.

the one i don't get at all is one step closer,. it would be in my top 5 songs from the last 3 albums. don't get when anyone says its boring, maybe i am just getting old or something but i think is a great song.

It would be interesting if we had done this thread as a poll, perhaps -- should give U2 an idea of which of their contemporary directions the fanbase doesn't like!

My choices:

1) Miami -- I admire the attempt here, but the band also needs to have judgment to separate the wheat from the chaff. Back in 1982, they knew that "Pete The Chop" was too cheesy to be taken seriously, so they didn't put it on October or War. They should have been able to recognize that "Miami" was crap, but I suspect it was one of Bono's pet projects and everyone had to let him get on with it. U2 are a musically-limited post-punk band, so I tend to be suspicious of tracks that require three engineers and four producers to result in a thoroughly mediocre studio track. It sounds like it was build first and written later.

2) One Step Closer -- There's nothing offensive about this song, but IT IS BORING AS HELL. By comparison, "Grace" has a beautiful melody and beautiful lyrics. "One Step Closer", however, is tuneless and seems to be saying: "Smile -- you're almost dead!"

TIE for third:
3) Mofo -- There's a pretty good song here, but the window dressing just sounds fake.
3) Elevation -- Moldy cheese.

1. yahweh - any version, doesn't matter. i fucking hate it. it is my least favourite U2 song ever, no lie.
2. stuck in a moment you can get out of - too long of a title, too cheesy. i know what it's about, but damn...they didn't have to make it into a boyzone song.
3. wild honey - i just heard this song yesterday in a long time. i forgot how much it sucked.

i am SO glad to see the hate for yawnweh :love:

1. yahweh - any version, doesn't matter. i fucking hate it. it is my least favourite U2 song ever, no lie.
2. stuck in a moment you can get out of - too long of a title, too cheesy. i know what it's about, but damn...they didn't have to make it into a boyzone song.
3. wild honey - i just heard this song yesterday in a long time. i forgot how much it sucked.

:love: I love your comments, especially about them turning Stuck into a Boyzone song! :lmao:

It's actually a nice song and about a million times better acoustic, IMHO.

Maybe I'm in a minority here but I think the lyrics to Miami are great. Allan Ginesberg thought so too.

I really don't understand why people don't like Miami. It's such fun!

:hyper:

I'd swap my vote for MD for A man and a woman. I usually like half-acoustic songs (SATS, W. honey, S. rain...) but this one doesn't do anything for me, at all, despite the "like a stray dog" verse - MD at least has a good verse with Edge and his little guitar burst.

:up: I :heart: your new avatar! :lmao:

:love: I love your comments, especially about them turning Stuck into a Boyzone song! :lmao:

It's actually a nice song and about a million times better acoustic, IMHO.

this also applies to Yahweh, while the album version is terrible imo, I really took a liking to it live, it's a shame that version isn't available anywhere...

1. original of the species: how did "elton john imitating the beatles" ended up in a a u2 album?

2. city of blinding lights: a tribute band to u2 wrote a song for u2

3. all because of you: one of the reasons to fear the combination of the words "u2" and "rocker"

In the daaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyssss when we were swingin' from the trees! I was a monkey stealin' honey from a swarm of bees. I could taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - oh good god, I have to stop. It's even annoying in text form!

I hate that song so much that it ruined the rest of the album for me. I think I've listened to ATYCLB in its entirety only a handful of times. That might be my all-time least-favorite U2 song. It's embarrassing. There's no song on Pop or HTDAAB that I really dislike; in fact, I'd have an easier time picking three from the second half of ATYCLB.

Back
Top Bottom