Last Night On Earth...incomplete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I've heard "LNOE is clearly unfinished/incomplete/needed more work" many times over the years, and I'm curious what you all think. Is there something really rushed and incomplete about the song? I really can't hear it, and I figure that if there was anything seriously wrong with it, the band would have fixed it before they hit the road, which they never bothered to do.

IMO it's a great song, and fantastic live, with a solid chorus. :shrug: Nothing more to say.

well, apart from the fact that it could do with a real chorus, melody lines that aren't extremely lame, more singing and less screaming, it's a completely finished song.

the chorus could use a rework...

but other than that the song is fantastic....

and the other day I realized this song has some awesome work by Adam....:up:

U2Man said:
well, apart from the fact that it could do with a real chorus, melody lines that aren't extremely lame, more singing and less screaming, it's a completely finished song.

Thank you for answering the question in your very own, special way, puppyman. :sexywink:

Any flaws are lyrical, mostly. I feel they're too jumpy at the start between "you" and "she".

She feels the ground is giving way
Bur she thinks we're better off that way
The more you take the less you feel
The less you know the more you believe
The more you have the more it takes today

YOU GOT TO GIVE IT AWAY
YOU GOT TO GIVE IT AWAY
YOU GOT TO GIVE IT AWAY
SHE DOESN'T CARE WHAT IT'S WORTH
SHE'S LIVING LIKE IT'S THE LAST NIGHT ON EARTH

It's a decent chorus, but all in all, not a very coherent or tight start to the song. Bono rhymes "way" with "way", then does the more/less thing which are more like one-liners.

Of course, there are some genuine knock-outs in there, too.
She's at a bus-stop with the NEWS OF THE WORLD
And the sun sun here it comes

The ending jam is sorely missed in the album version, though.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
I've heard "LNOE is clearly unfinished/incomplete/needed more work" many times over the years, and I'm curious what you all think. Is there something really rushed and incomplete about the song? I really can't hear it, and I figure that if there was anything seriously wrong with it, the band would have fixed it before they hit the road, which they never bothered to do.

IMO it's a great song, and fantastic live, with a solid chorus. :shrug: Nothing more to say.

Supposedly it was the last song recorded and was completed the very last day of recording for POP. Considering POP was not complete overall and considering that they re-recorded it for the single version I would say it may have been somewhat unfinished.

It was great live though. Please and Last Night On Earth both improved 10 fold live over the POP album versions.

Last Night On Earth live :drool:

BonoDetroit97LastNightonEarth.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect as it is. Great song, great choice for a single.

As with most of the POP album, it has rustic charm.

LNOE has a better mix on the single. The reason people call it rushed is true though...the vocals were recorded right before the album was due to the record company. The problem with the song I think is the bridge and outro, they both need something more. The song really builds up to a guitar solo on the album, but just fades out.

I think it's amazing live, one of my favorites live, ever. But yeah, the album version definitely feels incomplete.

It's on Pop. It's surrounded by half-baked ideas trying to incorporate the ""next big thing" in pop music. Most of them don't work.

A band trying that hard to be hip. :|

It almost sounds as if Bono started singing that chorus line on the last night on the studio and inserted it into the song!

In all honesty, it wasn't right on the album, it was live. Like most of Pop.

The song is great, as it is - in studio (a rough sketch, a feling, atmosphere) and live (a killer in the setlist, growing up from an "Exit" like jam with to guitars in near complete darkness to the new ending a la "All Along The Watchtower"). Don't wanna miss it on the (beautiful) album nor during the (too repetetive) concerts of the tour...

Just shows there is no accounting for taste, as this has always been one of my faves on POP. And live, its a kick ass song. I really dont believe these stories behind it, as I believe if U2 were not happy (at the time, which is different from hindsight), it would not have come out. Do you really think the record companies dictate to their biggest earners?

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Gone should be the single instead of this song.

Definitely. I think another reason why Pop didn't do so well was because of the choice of singles. Mofo should have been the 1st, then maybe discotheque, followed by Staring at the Sun, Gone and Do You Feel Loved.

phillyfan26 said:
It almost sounds as if Bono started singing that chorus line on the last night on the studio and inserted it into the song!

Actually, he did! At least, that's what I get from all the stories about this track. They completed recording this song the last night of the studio sessions and even did some last-minute finishes during the mastering stage!

gman said:
I really dont believe these stories behind it, as I believe if U2 were not happy (at the time, which is different from hindsight), it would not have come out. Do you really think the record companies dictate to their biggest earners?

It's not that it had to come out because of the record company (U2 are indeed big enough to say "No" to the record company regarding album releases). They had to finish work on the album because they had booked a mega multi-million stadium tour that was about to start. And you can't postpone/cancel those very easily.

It was definitely best live, but I have no qualms with the studio version...we all know my opinion of Pop though :wink:

An Cat Gav said:

Definitely. I think another reason why Pop didn't do so well was because of the choice of singles. Mofo should have been the 1st, then maybe discotheque, followed by Staring at the Sun, Gone and Do You Feel Loved.

Mofo as the first single? Wow, that's optimistic.

They could have used Discotheque (minus the Village people look), SATS and Gone. Add Please or IFYWTVD if the album is doing well.

For me, the bridge is one of their weakest, as it just seems like a "we need a middle eight bit; just play these chords" moment. Then the transition into the last verse from that bridge is pretty awkward. Just not great songwriting there, IMO.

They tried to fix it on the single version with the falsetto parts, but it still doesn't do much for me.

Other than that, I like a lot about the song. The lyrics don't drive me crazy, but I always listen to structure and production first, I guess.

gman said:
Just shows there is no accounting for taste, as this has always been one of my faves on POP. And live, its a kick ass song. I really dont believe these stories behind it, as I believe if U2 were not happy (at the time, which is different from hindsight), it would not have come out. Do you really think the record companies dictate to their biggest earners?

Have you ever seen U2's television documentary from 2001? They basically explain it themselves. The info about LNOE being finished the last day of recording was in Propaganda I believe. So you dont have to believe it, but its true. :shrug:

Popmartijn said:

Actually, he did! At least, that's what I get from all the stories about this track. They completed recording this song the last night of the studio sessions and even did some last-minute finishes during the mastering stage!

Yeah, I know, I was just being sarcastic.

I think this was a good single. Those who noted Gone, how about Gone for IGWSHA, one of their weakest songs ever? LNOE kicks IGWSHA's ass.

The studio version of Mofo sucked, so it would've made a terrible single.

Blue Room said:

Have you ever seen U2's television documentary from 2001? They basically explain it themselves. The info about LNOE being finished the last day of recording was in Propaganda I believe. So you dont have to believe it, but its true. :shrug:
It's also in U2byU2.

They did record the song on the day the master had to go. Bono's voice wasnt that great so the added more echo and also let Edge sing the "awaaaayy" part.

All done on the last day.

There are 2 things that ruined POP.

1. The Discotheque Video (Village people part)

2. The Line "You know you're chewing bubble gum, you know what that is but you still want some". That just made people think "WHAT THE FUCK?" They say POP wasn't finished as a way to cover their egos so they don't have to admit that people just didn't like it. I really believe they were happy with POP when it came out.

The_acrobat said:
I really believe they were happy with POP when it came out.

They were indeed. And crushed when it didn't do well. And they deserved to have confidence in it; it was a wonderful album, but it's quite obvious why it flopped commercially.

1. Zooropa, despite selling 4 million, killed their reputation, and Pop was a not-so-commercial follow up.

2. Discotheque video.

Back
Top Bottom