Ladies & Gents prepare for U2s fourth golden age!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't Rubin quoted as saying ATYCLB is one of his favorite albums, or something like that? That doesn't exactly sound promising for those of us hoping for a fresh start.

Then again, I love the job Rubin did on Johnny Cash's American Recordings and was surprised by how much I liked the new Neil Diamond album, so who knows?

I want them to work with Eno again. :scream:

But, barring that, I guess that Rubin could be a pretty good choice after all. The ATYCLB thing makes me a little worried, along with some of the not-so-great albums Rubin's been attributed to (Make Believe is NOT Weezer at the top of their game), but at the very least it could give us something interesting to listen to.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I think Rick Rubin would bring things out of U2 that they may have forgotten they could do. I'm a huge ATYCLB/HTDAAB fan, but I think that Rubin could push the boundaries of both of those albums, while retaining the "popfulness" of the last two records.

That would be marvelous, actually. I don't think that U2's quite reached the potential that they could with the sound they're currently into, and if Rubin could bring that sound to it's full potential....well, let's just say I wouldn't mind. :wink: :)drool:)

Perhaps if Rubin had taken the reins for HTDAAB it would have been the hard rocking album we expected.

Personally, I'm afraid of Eno coming back because he might give us canned crap like ATYCLB again. As far as innovative guys I'd rather see them work with Nigel Godrich at this point.

Tony Visconti would be cool as well. He did Bowie's last two which were real returns to form, and is currently producing the new Morrissey, which is supposedly the most rocking thing he's done in a while. Plus Visconti could share Hansa Ton stories with the band. Together they could try to capture some of that Achtung mojo.

MrBrau1 said:

Yeah, just thinking about a Rubin produced U2 record gives me goosebumps.

Based on what I've read here, I agree. I know some of those albums, but really didn't know the producer. If Rubin's skill is to make an artist face his/her/their fears and go a bit beyond what is considered "normal", then this does sound exciting.

However, is this the best time for him? I really enjoy HTDAAB, but if there was ever a time for Rubin to step in, this was the album. U2 had just come off of their highly successful "return to basics" album with AYTCLB. Now was the time for U2 to go a bit beyond normal. And, to U2's credit, I feel that was done. Songs like "Vertigo", "Fast Cars" and "Love & Peace" are not only brilliant songs, but show a fresh, different side of U2. This could even be the sound of U2's future.

Now that U2 have "pushed beyond normal", would Rubin be enough to really revitalize U2's sound? I think fans want a more experimental sound. "Fast Cars" and "Love & Peace" have that, but can U2 continue in that manner? Can they go past that "return to roots" sound that has been the theme of the past two albums? Can they experiment without emulating hot current sounds ("Pop") yet now reproduce AB again? And if Rubin the man to get them there?

If anything, it seems that Eno might be a welcome producer again. He has the knack for pushing U2 to not sound like U2. To force them to think well beyond their normal sound. ATYCLB and HTDAAB are outstanding albums and will be cherished. But if U2 tap this "return to roots" sound one more time, I think they will lose fans. It's acceptable to have a few songs in that manner (ala "One" on AB or "Stay" on "Zooropa"), but not 5 or more songs. U2 really need to be different again and from what I've read here, it sounds like Rubin might not be the man for them this time around.

The Neptunes would be cool too, never gonna happen mind, even the current kings of bland, Coldplay are rumoured to be working with Timberland.

I would love to see U2 work with this guy. By The Way is a great album, and although alot of the Albums he has done suck, I think thats more the artist than the producer. Weezers big "lets make stupid rock songs and get tonnes of airplay and income for the next 20 years" plan worked off. (Thats all Weezer's new album is... its a joke... if thats there artist direction than I feel bad for them... and their fans)

I say GO FOR IT U2! While they are still young!(i dont think 45//46 is old... im 18 by the way)

Re: Re: Ladies & Gents prepare for U2s fourth golden age!!!

Layton said:
The thing that's worrisome about U2 is that they might start losing their appetite for 'outsider's' influences. I wonder if the Chris Thomas thing went bad partly because U2 just didn't have it in them to work with an 'uncomfortable' personality. It can't be Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite forever. They need to start thinking outside the bun, again.

You know, I don't buy that. Achtung Baby was produced with the Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite team, and it was some pretty intentional thinking-outside-the-bun. It's the attitude of the band, not the producer, that will make the difference.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I think Rick Rubin would bring things out of U2 that they may have forgotten they could do.

very good point. agreed.

this quote gave me CHILLLSSS, hopefully Bono and the boys saw it.

Rubin is a legendary producer, people forget that he founded Def Jam records because Russell Simmons gets most of the credit.

I agree, u2 will always sound like u2 but he would bring out another whole side. At least let him run the controls on a few songs.

Re: Re: Ladies & Gents prepare for U2s fourth golden age!!!

Layton said:
It can't be Eno, Lanois and Lillywhite forever. They need to start thinking outside the bun, again.

Why? Look what Eno/Lanois have given us: The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Actung Baby, Zooropa & ATYCLB.

By others in the "modern era": Rattle & Hum, Pop, HTDAAB.

I'd take another from E/L any day. In fact, that's what I'm hoping for. But, Rubin would be interesting. Just so long as Flood and Jacknife Lee stay away from the guys, so much the better.

Ps. My personal opinion. Do not hijack into a love/hate pop thread!

Re: Re: Re: Ladies & Gents prepare for U2s fourth golden age!!!

tommycharles said:

You know, I don't buy that. Achtung Baby was produced with the Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite team, and it was some pretty intentional thinking-outside-the-bun. It's the attitude of the band, not the producer, that will make the difference.

Maybe, you're right.

The only thing I'd say is that producers are guides and motivators. I just wonder if a new style of guiding and motivation might lead U2 further down the road of evolution, irregardless of what type of music they're after next time around.

Re: Re: Re: Ladies & Gents prepare for U2s fourth golden age!!!

Snowlock said:

Why? Look what Eno/Lanois have given us: The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Actung Baby, Zooropa & ATYCLB.

It all depends on when you feel change will propel you further down the road of evolution than the status quo. Sometimes change is the answer. Sometimes the status quo is the answer.

It's an increbibly tough call. I'm sure the band wrestles with stuff like this before the making of every album. In the end, which way they choose is just a matter of opinion about where they are and where they need to go. U2 are usually pretty good about making thise type of decisions, but that doesn't stop me from offering my opinion because opinions are what drive the world.

9 months with Rubin, Larry press the button "erase" then Eno/Lanois featuring Kanye West produce the record :lock:

Nigel Godrich anyone?

I would enjoy Rubin producing, but he always about getting to the root of who the artist is. U2 is in need to take a left turn. Not so much a Kid A album, but something fresh and that will challenge them. HTDAAB has its moments. Vertigo, LPOE, COBL, OOTS, and OSC (atmospheric song, somewhat) have the sound U2 needs to venture off too.

U2 needs an album or sound that challenges them and gives us, the fans, something fresh.

Songs that wouldn't sound good on Smallville or the O.C. Save U2 Rubin.

zoopop said:
Nigel Godrich anyone?

I think he would be good, but I don't think he necessarily would really push U2 anywhere.

I mean he's capable of doing left turn for artists who want to do left turns, but I don't think he's really the type of producer that pushes or challenges artist to do so. His stuff outside of Radiohead is pretty straight forward.

why most of you think that Rubin is great producer? i checked albums which he made and i think he isn brilliant at all, he is old, sad producer with big beard without any great success, he didnt make any masterpiece and whats more he isnt experimental at all(sorry but latest red hots, weezer and soad records are big pseudo rock&altrenative craps) so he isnt right person for u2. i dream about collaboration with Nigel Godrich (produced Radiohead and last McCartney record) Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois would be also great choice.
dont get me wrong i think that U2 need now some experimental record, with some producer touched by God....:drool:

Noone (Eno/Lanois/Flood/Lillywhite etc...) from the usual camp if they really want some new sounds.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think he would be good, but I don't think he necessarily would really push U2 anywhere.

I mean he's capable of doing left turn for artists who want to do left turns, but I don't think he's really the type of producer that pushes or challenges artist to do so. His stuff outside of Radiohead is pretty straight forward.

You cannot hear his presence AT ALL on the new McCartney album. I know Macca is probably in control of everything on his albums, it's still a bit remarkable, though :huh:

Back
Top Bottom