Just out of my curiosity - Rank Zooropa and its songs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Earnie Shavers said:

I'd say that Numb & Lemon are way, way, way better known than anything off the Bomb bar Vertigo.
In the US perhaps it makes sense, but the common listener that doesn't pay so much attention won't recognize Numb and Lemon as U2 songs (maybe he remembers them but probably he'll take a while to remember they're U2 ones). In Europe COBL and Sometimes will never have that problem.

Well, I'm in Australia, and I doubt there's a person in their 20's or 30's who doesn't know Lemon & Numb and doesn't know they're U2 songs - yet aside from Vertigo the Bomb singles had little to know impact here. After the initial few weeks of their release, you simply never ever heard them.

I believe in you. That's what it's interesting. To see how people in different parts of the world react to U2's music and the impact it had.
Yes, Lemon and Numb (and Stay too) were big hits here (in Portugal, for instance they were top 5 songs). But it's a kind of market where people tend to forget and erase songs that despite being hits they're hard to be remembered later.
Numb and Lemon are so unique in U2's career that that is why many people won't recognize it at first.
Sometimes and COBl (for instance they were massive #1 hits in Portugal and Spain) are nearer to the "typical" (if that exists loll) U2 song than the Zooropa songs. It's no surprise that they're more remembered by people (I mean here the common listener).
This is what I was trying to explain above.:sexywink:

Zooropa - 9 out of 10...it takes a while to get going, and the beginning verses of the song could probably be improved, but it doesn't matter when the 2nd half hits you...u immediately forgive any shortcomings because it's without a doubt one of U2's most transcending movements of music.

Babyface - 7...it's a disposable pop song, and u have to look at it that way. You can't compare it to Bad or Still Haven't Found...it's an entirely different beast. Judging it at this level, it's a catchy and fun little thing. And Larry's drums are wonderfully tweaked with.

Numb - 8...although it's one of the "hits", it's so close to Lemon and sometimes I have no patience. But on it's own, as a song, it's an original experience and the only time U2 will ever sound like this again. The key to the song is Edge's deadpan contrasted with Bono's fat lady vox.

Lemon - 10...without question. One of U2's best songs ever, period! It's fun, it's adventurous, it's edgy, it's funny, and above all things...it's emotional. Underneath the disco beats, the treated guitars and the kitschy vocals, lies a desperate pleading that threatens to break out and wail, and once in a while does..when Bono morphs into his natural singing voice. The moments like that are cathartic, and short-lived because Bono goes back to the falsetto soon after. But it could only work that way. A clear emotional conclusion would cheapen this song. It works as an ongoing cycle that fades into night, never coming together in perfect harmony, much like life itself. It keeps going.

Stay - 9...the most successful U2 "love" song ever put to record. I say successful because it could've been written for anyone. It's a timeless classic, with off-kilter vocals that alter the otherwise perfectly serene vibe. The lyrics are haunting, the music rises to a crescendo, and it breaks all the rules by ending on a disturbing note.

Daddy's Gonna Pay - 8...A jarring techno masterpiece. U2 is almost nowhere to be found here, yet their spirit runs thru it. It's dark and sexy, and Bono intones devilish lyrics that never let you off the hook. You feel unsettled and almost queasy the whole time. A great ride. The creepy as hell "aha sha la"s grow scarier each time, like possession.

Some Days...10 - My second favorite track. It's U2's funnest outing. Edge plays an actual solo, tho it's distorted to the extreme and wicked. Bono writes stream-of-consciously and never strays from the groove. Adam and Larry keep things funky. Eno's synths add majorly to the song, always appearing at the right moment. I don't know why people hate this song. The chorus is anthemic, and could've been on the Joshua Tree in a different setting. But U2 take their strenghts and pervert them to the point of almost unrecognizability..that is if you didn't give ureself a chance to discover the unmistakable U2ness of it all. A sure grower but it's worth it.

The First Time - 10...second fave from the album. I love it because it sneaks up on you. In the beginning you're just enjoying a simple song, and it seems content to just be "lovely". But after the last verse you are drained. You didn't see the twist coming. I don't know many U2 songs that can do that.

Dirty Day - 9...studio production notwithstanding, it's one of Bono's most revealing efforts. It conjures up a film noir in your mind's eye. Everytime I listen, I get goosebumps. Especially the falsetto section..where it sounds like the mourning of a missed opportunity, the opportunity for a father to express love to his son. You get the feeling the son is never gonna escape whatever his father did to him, especially with the line "i'm in you more so when they put me in the ground." Bone-chilling, and not the normal reaction we recieve from U2. The overwhelming coda, where the days run away like horses over the hills, alert u to the fact that time is running out. And soon it will be too late.

The Wanderer - 8...the only way to end this album. Some people might cry out "failure"..but I greatly admire U2's balls in having Johnny Cash sing the lead vocal. Sure, it's his voice, but it's U2's song in essence. It is, among all things, a prayer. And it's a relaxing yet ominous way to end this affair. Relaxing yet ominous is the mood that Zooropa should and thankfully does leave us with. Nothing's happy go lucky here. Everything's bathed in a dark mystery, for that's what life itself pretty much is. That's also Zooropa in a nutshell.

I listened to the title track again, and I'm changing it from a 9 to a 10. Amazing song. What was I thinking giving it a 9?

Let`s see.... ,

Zooropa - 9.5
Babyface - 8.5
Numb - 8.5
Lemon - 9.5
Stay - 10
Dady`s Gonna Pay - 8.5
Some Days - 7.0
First Time - 8.5
Dirty Day 9.0 ( live version would be a 9.5 )
Wanderer - 8.5

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Thanks to all those who left a comment, very interesting to read. There are certainly some vastly differing opinions on this album!

Axver said:
1. Zooropa: 10
2. The Wanderer: 10
3. Lemon: 10
4. Numb: 10
5. Stay: 9
6. Some Days Are Better Than Others: 7.5
7. Dirty Day: 7
8. The First Time: 7
9. Daddy's Gonna Pay: 6.5
10. Babyface: 1

They're pretty high, what do you give the Passengers songs? You said thats ur fav 90s album, but you rank most of Zooropa pretty highly...

I'd say that Numb & Lemon are way, way, way better known than anything off the Bomb bar Vertigo.

To the fanatics, maybe...

the most successful U2 "love" song ever put to record

All I Want is You...

1. Zooropa - 7
One of their best openers after ZS and Streets if only a tad long intro.
2. Babyface - 7
This one gets picked on but I like it. Quirky, smart pop.
3. Numb - 5
I like the riff and the falsetto I guess.
4. Lemon - 6
A bit too long, though I love the piano notes and "midnight.." lines.
5. Stay - 9
Hadn't it been for WOWY, their best "love" song. Virtually a classic.
6. Daddy's - 4
The lyrics always make me think of incest. Drugs? U2 did far, far better songs on this topic.
7. Some Days - 4
Fun song but not up to par with some previous and following songs on Zooropa.
8. First time - 9
Beautiful underrated gem of this album.
9. Dirty day - 8
The official rock song at the end of a U2 album, despite bad production/mix still good.
10. The Wanderer - 8
A very good closer. Hopefully we'll hear the 1993 Bono vocals on this some day.

Overall behind JT, AB, War, Bomb and UF in my album rankings at the moment.

Last edited:
Zooropa = 9/10
Babyface = 6.5/10
Numb = 7.5/10
Lemon = 8.5/10
Stay = 10/10
DGPFYCC = 6/10
SDABTO = 6/10
The First Time = 7.5/10
Dirty Day = 7/10
The Wanderer = 6.5/10

Zooropa is the one U2 album where the rankings can veer wildly from song to song. Here's how I rank them, from favorite to least favorite....

Stay
The Wanderer
Lemon
Babyface
Numb
Daddy's Gonna Pay....
Zooropa
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Dirty Day

I thought Zooropa had great stuff on it myself

Overall- 7/10

1. Stay (Far Away, So Close!)
2. Zooropa
3. The First Time
4. The Wanderer
5. Numb
6. Some Days Are Better Than Others
7. Dirty Day
8. Babyface
9. Lemon
10. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car

thats my hierarchy
personally i think that DD was better live on ZTV, as was DGPFYCC
live is where that song really took off, what with the Edge's funky wha-wha guitar riffing.

1. Stay (Faraway, So Close) - 10
2. Zooropa - 9.5
3. The First Time - 8
4. Lemon - 8
5. Numb - 8
6. Dirty Day - 8
7. The Wanderer - 8
8. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 7.5
9. Some Days Are Better Than Others - 7
10. Babyface - 7

Comments:

'Stay' is one of the greatest songs ever written, not just by U2 but by anybody. The ending is a classic Edge background melody with an overtop verse - something that doesn't appear in too many U2 songs anymore. A classic song.

'Zooropa' has a very arty intro, and doesn't really step into classic status until the fuzz guitar/synth starts and then explodes like a mini atomic explosion that somehow resonates all the way to the album's closer into the apocolyptic lands of 'The Wanderer'. It is at this explosive point that 'Zooropa' (the song) reaches into the otherness U2 have ventured a few times before, but this time in an electronic soundscape that catapolts the listener into the spirit, the heart of U2. Once again, very few U2 songs have ventured here, and this is one of them.

'The First Time' begins to really take flight toward the end, as the piano provides a platform for Bono, we the listeners, and whoever else to walk out into an ascension that dissolves the shadows behind the locked door....the key Bono thought he had thrown away is the ascension itself....and yes, the paradox - by throwing away the key, he has unlocked the door. The last 30 seconds of this song is a 10/10. The rest of it is a variant of 'All I Want Is You'. Never a bad thing.

Lemon-10
Stay-10
The Wanderer-10
The First time-9
Zooropa-9
Dirty Day-8
Numb-8
Daddy's Gonna Pay...-8
Somedays are ..-8
Babyface-7

My favorite U2 album:heart: :heart:

ozeeko said:

Lemon - 10...without question. One of U2's best songs ever, period! It's fun, it's adventurous, it's edgy, it's funny, and above all things...it's emotional. Underneath the disco beats, the treated guitars and the kitschy vocals, lies a desperate pleading that threatens to break out and wail, and once in a while does..when Bono morphs into his natural singing voice. The moments like that are cathartic, and short-lived because Bono goes back to the falsetto soon after. But it could only work that way. A clear emotional conclusion would cheapen this song. It works as an ongoing cycle that fades into night, never coming together in perfect harmony, much like life itself. It keeps going.

:drool: :drool:

Zooropa - 10 (Pure brilliance. Absolutely.)
Babyface - 0
Numb - 9
Lemon - 10 (One of my favorites, if not, my absolute favorite U2 songs. The lyrics are :love:, Bono's vocals are :drool:, and Edge's/Eno's vocals on the chorus are :combust:!)
Stay - 9
Daddy's - 9
Some Days - 5
The First Time - 6.5
Dirty Day - 9
The Wanderer - 9
The Siren - 10

Back
Top Bottom