josh rouse loves U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcool

The Fly
Hi!..I am new here! and I can't sleep!

I was reading some of my old UNCUT magazines and found this interview of Josh Rouse.
I hope this is not old news, well, it is! But what the hell!

" I was 16 or 17 and I'd just started playing guitar. It was in 1987 and it was a big year for me. I got Morrissey's Suedehead and The Cure's Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me, but I just thought The Joshua Tree Was so cool.

Obviously I'd heard U2 albums like Boy and War, but I knew this was the one. It was the first time I'd heard songs that sounded like they came out of the earth with all those organic textures.

" The first song I got to know was 'With Or Without You', because it was the single and all over the radio and TV. I thought it was totally amazing, and The Edge's guitar still gives me goosebumps. My Aunt, who lived with us , got the album, and listened to it all the time. Bono's voice was so powerful on something like 'Red Hill Mining Town'. He's still good, but I don't think he can sing like that any more.

"Then my aunt bought me the songbook for Christmas. I was in a band and I'd learnt a few chords and played simple things by the Sex Pistols and The Ramones. But I remember sitting down with the U2 book and trying to figure out the songs. I really wanted to impress my folks over Christmas with some proper, grown-up music. 'The Streets Have No Name' didn't sound too good with just my guitar. But I think I played them 'Running To Stand Still' and 'One Tree Hill'

Later I did a cover of "Exit' with the band I was in. I'd started writing songs and I'd take them stuff I'd written that had U2 or R.E.M. thing going on. But They wanted to do R&B, so my rock numbers fell by the wayside.

"I didnt get to see U2 live until I was about 20. IT was in Atlanta with 80,000 people, but that was when I decided 'this is what I want to do' Funnily enough, today I don't have one U2 album in my house. I 've got 22 TOm Waits records, because he's the master. But I guess I just know the U2 stuff too well"

Josh rouse

Back
Top Bottom