It's a grower!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
Well, at first listen, I was not overly impressed with the new album. I think that is mostly because I was really expecting 'U2's first rock record' as Bono put it.

But after listening to the album for about a week straight, I have to say it's fucking brilliant. I find myself sitting in my car in front of my house not going in because I want to hear the rest of a song. It's that damn powerful.

Still think that Mercy should have replaced Yahweh but that's a different story. Also think that Fast Cars, although it does not fit on the album, is one of the most interesting, catchy U2 songs in a years.

Nice work guys. Thank you.

wolfwill23 said:
Well, at first listen, I was not overly impressed with the new album. I think that is mostly because I was really expecting 'U2's first rock record' as Bono put it.

But after listening to the album for about a week straight, I have to say it's fucking brilliant. I find myself sitting in my car in front of my house not going in because I want to hear the rest of a song. It's that damn powerful.

Still think that Mercy should have replaced Yahweh but that's a different story. Also think that Fast Cars, although it does not fit on the album, is one of the most interesting, catchy U2 songs in a years.

Nice work guys. Thank you.
But here's the thing - Bono never did say it was "U2's first rock record."! He said it was their first "guitar" record. It's always the fans (I'm not saying it's you) who end up misquoting Bono, and suddenly everyone thinks Bono is a lyer. This happened with ATYCLB as well. It wasn't Bono who said it was a rock record, it was the fans running on a rumour from someone who'd heard a few of the songs from the album. In fact, Bono called it a "soul" record. Just goes to show...

But back to your points: Yes, totally agree with you. It is a grower, which is why so many people have dismissed it on first listen. What appeares to be the weakest track on first listen ('Crumbs') ends up being one of the best, if not the best, tracks on the album.

I must ask you one thing though: How did you get 'Fast Cars' in full? Or are you speaking of the looped version?

Also, Michael Griffith, Bon said that the new album was to be "'U2's first rock'n'roll album" and that it was a "monster, a dragon" ;)

Exact same thing happened to me. I was very unimpressed upon first listen. But after listening for over a week now, I absolutely love this album. Outside of Yahweh, I'm a total and complete convert to all that is HTDAAB. I even love the b-sides.

To anyone who didn't like the album at first, I recommend patience, for you will be rewarded.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Also, Michael Griffith, Bon said that the new album was to be "'U2's first rock'n'roll album" and that it was a "monster, a dragon" ;)
I remember the monster and dragon comments, but he called it their first "guitar" album, not "rock n' roll"...it was the fans who interpreted it as "rock album"!!

where is fast cars?? cmon it is the 16th in asia already the album should be out thus fast cars should be out! And whats with the posting of the fish URL without even explenation? is that fast cars or what?

Back
Top Bottom