Isn't it funny how things change??? Hutdab.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
My U2 journey really began with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and I was perhaps one of, if not, the biggest defenders of it on this site. Here's a great example: http://forum.interference.com/showt...711&highlight=how+to+dismantle+an+atomic+bomb

It's a bit hard to read it in some ways because i now think that's so far from the truth. Don't get me wrong, there's still songs I like on the album, but as a whole my appreciation is kinda going down.

It hasn't 'aged' too well. Take City of Blinding Lights. Now, this was my favourite song for ages, was the inspiration for my user name and the single cover was my avatar for about a year and a half.

Now I would say it's no longer top 10 even for me, doesn't give me the chills now it did then.

Vertigo is still kinda catchy, but just annoying now. All Because of You is the worst song on there, ruined by bursting my eardrums when the volume's on low, etc etc etc and just saved by a good bass line.

The songs I love from it are Miracle Drug are One Step Closer, and they're followed by Sometimes, LAPOE, Yahweh, COBL, Ooooots, then A Man and a Woman.

I was just thinking about it the other day and wanted to express my thoughts :D

I was kind of dissappointed with HTDAAB when I first bought it and my feelings really haven't changed since. I just don't find it all that inspired, too many of the tracks remind of the sort of thing U2 has done before and done better. To me its not a durable album in the sense that you can really listen it to time and time again and still get fresh things from it, like I can with JT or Pop and to a lesser degree ATYCLB.

Part of the problem I think stemmed from trying to produce the sequel to ATYCLB, to me I think the band were treading water, and for a group like U2, standing still and not pushing themselves into new, unfamiliar areas is always dangerous.

Although I find alot of it throwaway, SYCMIOYO still resonates with me (I know many fans hate it), but I still find it one of the most effecting things Bono's ever written and I think it will still find a place in the setlists of years to come.

Last edited:
ATYCLB & HTDAAB are the only two u2 albums that when i go back and listen to them after some time has passed, that i don't gain any new insight from them. i don't know why. maybe i'm lacking some ability to connect with their work, but then again if i listen to the other albums i always find something new.
i've always been an angry, bitter and jaded person. u2 is the one thing that keeps me holding onto what little humanity i have left in my soul.

U2 played a little safe with them after POP (truly awesome) but I enjoy these albums thoroughly.

So heck? Their not timeless classics. U2 can't do it every time.

And your suffering from needanewalbumoitis....very bad disease.

corianderstem said:

Dunno.

No one was listening to you.

:kiss:

bitch please lol
but seriously i said this from the start that atyclb and htdaab will Not go down as time-less u2 classic albums that you can listen to over and over again. i can barely listen to the album(htdaab) half way through. the music is just very dull(not crap) "original of the species" thats a good song i like that and "sycmioyo" is a nice one too. but the album it self is very plain. it will be very easy for u2 to top htdaab.
yes i know they are almost 50, and old= boring and laid back which u2 have become. there are alot of bands making better music than u2 at the moment(including pop rnb and rap yes rap). gone are the days when they were leaders.

Moser said:
U2 played a little safe with them after POP (truly awesome) but I enjoy these albums thoroughly.

So heck? Their not timeless classics. U2 can't do it every time.

And your suffering from needanewalbumoitis....very bad disease.

If Pop was a success like ATYCLB it would of been regarded as U2's sell out album. Yes it's a great album, yes it's underrated by the band but seriously it's nowhere were as good as people say it is on here.

On the topic of HTDAAB I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

kingofsorrow said:
ATYCLB & HTDAAB are the only two u2 albums that when i go back and listen to them after some time has passed, that i don't gain any new insight from them.

I think this hits the nail on the head. They are good albums, with good songs, and some really good songs, but (moreso with HTDAAB) very few that I get that timeless feeling from, where I can hear it again and again and hear something new. So while they have a lot of good songs...they don't hold up to the standard U2 set for themselves, or the standard I personally hold U2 to, which is way higher than I hold other bands to. I think it's fair to criticize on this basis, as it's the reason U2 is my favorite band.

I too was sucked into my deep U2 fandom by HTDAAB and the Vertigo tour, having been more than a casual fan since ATYCLB-ish (but brought in by the music of War and JT). I loved all the HTDAAB songs, but now a lot of what I loved seems just a little too trite or simple or catchy without substance or resonance. There was a while in 2005 where I stuck it on repeat, which I think I could still do with almost every other U2 album, but I'd go crazy with HTDAAB on repeat and maybe with ATYCLB on repeat.

Irishteen said:

If Pop was a success like ATYCLB it would of been regarded as U2's sell out album. Yes it's a great album, yes it's underrated by the band but seriously it's nowhere were as good as people say it is on here.

Actually, I believe POP is one of the best albums I've ever heard, seriously.

I can list so many reasons, but their all opinions. Hopefully, there would be another POP appreciation thread soon.

And POPMart kicked the asses of anything I've seen before...except for maybe ZOOTv....they are almost on level ground. To everyone: Download POPMart Santiago....U2 are a bunch of badass MOFOs.

Moser said:

Actually, I believe POP is one of the best albums I've ever heard, seriously.

I can list so many reasons, but their all opinions. Hopefully, there would be another POP appreciation thread soon.

And POPMart kicked the asses of anything I've seen before...except for maybe ZOOTv....they are almost on level ground. To everyone: Download POPMart Santiago....U2 are a bunch of badass MOFOs.

Pop is really mixed to me, some really great songs but songs like Discotheque and Miami aren't that good.

And I've never been a huge fan of Popmart or Zootv, I mean I think it was awesome what they did but I'd rather it be just about the songs than anything else.

I agree that Pop has its :yuck: moments, but the other songs are great. Whereas the :yuck: moments on ATYCLB and HTDAAB are not balanced out by the same level of greatness in other songs.

Irishteen said:

And it's not like they didn't try to make it a hip album, too.

I still like Bomb, not quite as much as at the start but it's still in the top half of their albums for me. What I like best about it is it doesn't start going downhill halfway like All that (though I do appreciate the comeback and second chance U2 got with it). That album may have brought the one universally acknowledged great U2 song of this decade but Bomb has more good/very good songs overall, it's more consistent.

Last edited:
shaun vox said:

bitch please lol
but seriously i said this from the start that atyclb and htdaab will Not go down as time-less u2 classic albums that you can listen to over and over again. i can barely listen to the album(htdaab) half way through. the music is just very dull(not crap) "original of the species" thats a good song i like that and "sycmioyo" is a nice one too. but the album it self is very plain. it will be very easy for u2 to top htdaab.
yes i know they are almost 50, and old= boring and laid back which u2 have become. there are alot of bands making better music than u2 at the moment(including pop rnb and rap yes rap). gone are the days when they were leaders.

dude, are you out of your mind? :tsk:

:wink:

How do you manage to post such insanity?

pepokiss said:
the greatest thing that came up form HTDAAB is the name Hut Dab

How did this name come about?

I always read it as the German phrase "Hut ab", which means "Hats off", which is actually a very good thing. People say that to compliment someone for something.

just how people read the letters HTDAAB, fucking sucks if you ask me :wink:

but yeah, this album was pretty disappointing first time i heard it. still love Vertigo and Original Of The Species (the latter saved the album really when i wasn't really bowled over with the rest of it) and I love A Man And A Woman and can't think WHY people hate it so much. The thing is if i didn't hear it much anymore i wouldn't really mind.

COBL_04 said:
My U2 journey really began with How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, and I was perhaps one of, if not, the biggest defenders of it on this site. Here's a great example: http://forum.interference.com/showt...711&highlight=how+to+dismantle+an+atomic+bomb

It's a bit hard to read it in some ways because i now think that's so far from the truth. Don't get me wrong, there's still songs I like on the album, but as a whole my appreciation is kinda going down.

It hasn't 'aged' too well. Take City of Blinding Lights. Now, this was my favourite song for ages, was the inspiration for my user name and the single cover was my avatar for about a year and a half.

Now I would say it's no longer top 10 even for me, doesn't give me the chills now it did then.

Vertigo is still kinda catchy, but just annoying now. All Because of You is the worst song on there, ruined by bursting my eardrums when the volume's on low, etc etc etc and just saved by a good bass line.

The songs I love from it are Miracle Drug are One Step Closer, and they're followed by Sometimes, LAPOE, Yahweh, COBL, Ooooots, then A Man and a Woman.

I was just thinking about it the other day and wanted to express my thoughts :D

haha this is pretty much exactly how i discovered u2
i always knew about them then i bought htdaab and i loved it but now i look back and the only songs i still love are sycmioyo and oots

i do agree that htdaab was a sequel to atyclb and im looking forward to their new direction................

i am surprised edge said that it was their best collection of songs ever just b4 htdaab came out.. its ok but definitley not there best

although i am guilty of loving all because of you except i wish they had a better intro maybe like a tambourine like they do live then mabye drums building up then BANG into the riff instead of that annoying fucking loud sound...

my thoughts are

vertigo - great song live and good rocker although i am now questioning its future, depends what type of album the new one is

miracle drug - poorly mixed imo i think they could of done a better version i play a stripped down acoustic version on my guitar and much slower and that might of worked

sometimes..- great amazing song that is amazing live

LAPOE - i loved this song when i first heard it.. a bit corny but a good live song.. i never keep playing the studio version

COBL - dont like studio version but love it live

AMAW - hmmmm i like bonos voice but the song doesnt seem to go anywhere or have any feel to it

Crumbs - never really liked it but its not crap

one step closer - solid ballad

OOTS - great song love it i dont know why it just clicks

Yahweh - never liked it but i love that version after the u23d movie amazing! they should do that live on a b stage with just bono and edge like popmart

:drool:

overall rating - 7/10

its an ok album but its not up to the standard of its previous albums

The only songs that have stood time from Hutdab with me are Miracle Drug and Crumbs. (I'm weird, okay?)
I'll probably play it in a couple years on a whim and it'll seem fantastic to me for some reason... that always happens.

I quite like the alternate ABOY and Native Son, but that's likely my subconscious being picky for the sake of being picky.

I don't know maybe it has to do with the fact that the live versions of these songs are so much better than the album versions. Though I openly admit that I love HTDAAB and listen to it once in a while, I'd probably take the live versions over the album versions any day, especially with songs like Vertigo and COBL. Sometimes is still one of my favourite U2 songs and means an awful lot to me, but even with that, I must say that I'm mostly hooked on the live version with Bono's emotional operatic singing. I experience this a lot. Recently, I heard Beautiful Day on the radio and was so disappointed in the radio version because the song sounds so much better live and Bono's vocals are so much stronger today than they were back then when they recorded this song.

last unicorn said:
Wow, another HTDAAB bashing thread.

:happy:

:|

:huh: Can't people express their opinion on stuff you like??? It's not like the original poster said something along the lines of ZOMG HUTDAB SUX!!! just to get a rise out of people. It was a pretty well thought out post. How about not even fucking saying anything if you can't take criticism of something that you like? Geez!

Personally I've been enjoying listening to the album lately. I even re-arranged the order and have to say I love it.

Back
Top Bottom