Island Masters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kosull

The Fly
I got into U2 around the Pop era, or mid-1997 to be exact and managed to complete most of my cd collection by the end of that year. For most of the 1980s albums, however, there is a sticker on the front cover that says 'Island Masters'. I've always wondered what this signifies, if anything, in terms of the sound, the nature of the release, etc, so if anyone can help I'd be much obliged.

Oh, and yes, curiosity did take me nearly 9 years to ask this question!

Blackwell sold Island to Polygram in 1989, i imagine that when Polygram reprinted U2 80's albums they added this sticker.

Nope. It would just be a marketing thing. Island is a pretty legendary label. It survived the Polygram buyout, and the early stages of the Universal buyout of Polygram. It still exists in some territories, but in the US it was merged under Interscope, and now I don't think U2 albums even have the Island logo on them? Anyway, as I said it's a legendary label and I'd bet the stickers are just part of a promotional campaign to highlight it's past glories.

My guess was that it must have been part of some kind of promotional campaign, but I was just curious as to whether anything was done to the master tapes as part of a series of re-releases of Island classics. I'd imagine not, but curiosity just prompted me to ask. Thanks for the thoughts.

Well my HTDAAB special ed. says Island on the side and has the Island logo on the paper band.

Back
Top Bottom