Is this the worst comment ever......?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
When during the Popmart tour, George Harrison took a look at the current music industry and said "In 30 years time, will anyone remember U2 or The Spice Girls?"

:|

Probably the most misguided comment concerning U2 probably! :ohmy: ESPECIALLY since it was George bloody Harrison! The fact that he said it during the Popmart Tour, by which time U2 had released The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, is just ludicrous...

From what I understand though he was never really fond of much mainsteam music by then anyway...:wink: What he said about Oasis was a bit extreme! :|

I'm afraid I cannot remember it verbatim but it was when 'Don't Look Back in Anger' was [rightfully, in my opinion] doing the rounds...Harrison would be saying to his friends stuff like "Oh, I can't stand fucking Oasis...just copying us the whole time" [something like that but I'm sure it was a bit more 'mouthy!!'] and getting quite worked up about that! :ohmy:

I think he should have taken it as a compliment! :huh:

i think he meant to make a difference between good music and shit. what will you remember, the good music (U2) or the shit (spice puppets)....................................that's what george meant...............:wink:

It's really interesting to see the different ways the Beatles answer those questions...George will tell you what's on his mind, Paul seems to have a PR man in his head telling him the best way to put what he's thinking. Refering to oasis:

George: I ****ing can't stand them, they're just coping us.

Paul: I think they're a little derivative, yeah.

You know what Liam's response to George's comments were don't you? Something along the lines of "I wanna play golf off his f****** head". After George's death Liam was asked if he regreted saying that and he had some really (kinda) nice things to say about him. Noel said George was "charming as f***". Which I think was a compliment... :wink:

But back on topic. U2 will be remembered in 30 years time. Most bands from 30 years ago (even the minor ones) are remembered pretty well, never mind ones with the global success of U2!

And the Spice Girls smashed so many records when they started out that they too will be forever associated with the 90s. The public profile of Posh will also help with this.

Originally posted bybabyman
i think he meant to make a difference between good music and shit. what will you remember, the good music (U2) or the shit (spice puppets)....................................that's what george meant...............

Nah, he lumped them together.

"Look at a group like U2. Bono and his band are so egocentric - the more you jump around, the bigger your hat is, the more people listen to your music. The only important thing is to sell and make money.

"It's nothing to do with talent."

The Beatles, he said, "had a value which will last forever".

"Today there are groups who sell lots of records and then disappear. Will we remember U2 in 30 years? Or the Spice Girls? I doubt it."

Okay, so U2 did come out on stage in a giant lemon shaped mirrorball car, but... it was funny! It was making fun, but yeah I guess some people didn't get the joke.

If you count feedback and hype days, U2's career is almost 30 years long, if people wouldn't remember a band whose career almost spans 30 years long....well...a giant lemon-shaped mirrorball car will forever be remembered by U2 fans, for better or worse. ;)

George Harrison could say whatever the fuck he wanted, by virtue of being George Harrison. If you were a bit out of it and the only U2 you saw was PopMart U2, you might think the same thing.

What's funnier is what Lennon said about the Rolling Stones:

"You know, they're congratulating the Stones on being together 112 years. Whoooopee! At least Charlie and Bill still got their families. In the Eighties, they'll be asking, 'Why are those guys still together? Can't they hack it on their own? Why do they have to be surrounded by a gang? Is the little leader scared somebody's gonna knife him in the back?' That's gonna be the question. That's-a-gonna be the question! They're gonna look back at the Beatles and the Stones and all those guys are relics. The days when those bands were just all men will be on the newsreels, you know. They will be showing pictures of the guy with lipstick wriggling his ass and the four guys with the evil black make-up on their eyes trying to look raunchy. That's gonna be the joke in the future, not a couple singing together or living and working together. It's all right when you're 16, 17, 18 to have male companions and idols, OK? It's tribal and it's gang and it's fine. But when it continues and you're still doing it when you're 40, that means you're still 16 in the head."

That was in 1980. Wonder what he'd think now.

Exactly typhoon!

George Harrison made that quote during the PopMart period which really explains a lot. And I actually think he is right. The day U2 don't perform anymore, a vanishing number of U2 songs will be remembered. Please compare that to Beatles' legacy, and you might have a clue why George Harrison allowed himself to say something like this.

George, we miss you.

Catman said:
The night George Harrison said that comment about U2, didn't Bono flip him off in front of the fans at the Popmart concert?

"Good people of Yorkshire, you've made a terrible mistake! George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all just lemons and big fucking hats and air! Well, I've one thing for you, George: pump it up!"
- start of Even Better Than The Real Thing, Popmart Leeds, 28 August 1997

Axver said:

"Good people of Yorkshire, you've made a terrible mistake! George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all just lemons and big fucking hats and air! Well, I've one thing for you, George: pump it up!"
- start of Even Better Than The Real Thing, Popmart Leeds, 28 August 1997

Is this really true?

U2Man said:

Is this really true?

I've only listened to the bootleg of it a thousand times. I typed that out off memory, heh. I could track down my copy of the bootleg and upload it if you want.

ah the good old roundhay park popmat concert :drool:, i was there in the rain, all 11 years old of me

Last edited:
Hah...I was wondering why the boot's called "Pump it Up George", I didn't know it was that show.

U2Man said:
Exactly typhoon!

George Harrison made that quote during the PopMart period which really explains a lot. And I actually think he is right. The day U2 don't perform anymore, a vanishing number of U2 songs will be remembered. Please compare that to Beatles' legacy, and you might have a clue why George Harrison allowed himself to say something like this.

George, we miss you.
ok then then name the beatles songs that will be rememberd, and u will try to find the same number of U2 songs

"I Saw Her Standing There"
"Love Me Do"
"Please Please Me"
"From Me To You"
"She Loves You"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"All My Loving"
"A Hard Day's Night"
"And I Love Her"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"I Feel Fine"
"No Reply"
"Eight Days A Week"
"Help!"
"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"
"Ticket To Ride"
"Yesterday"
"Norwegian Wood"
"Nowhere Man"
"In My Life"
"Day Tripper"
"We Can Work It Out"
"Rain"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Here, There, and Everywhere"
"Across the Universe"
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Penny Lane"
"All You Need Is Love"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"With A Little Help From My Friends"
"Within You, Without You"
"A Day In the Life"
"The Fool On the Hill"
"I Am the Walrus"
"Hello, Goodbye"
"Lady Madonna"
"Hey, Jude"
"Revolution"
"Back In the U.S.S.R."
"Blackbird"
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun"
"Birthday"
"Helter Skelter"
"Get Back"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Let It Be"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"Come Together"
"Something"
"Here Comes the Sun"

Remember any of those? Don't lie now.

U2's entire recorded output is only about twice the size of that list (keep in mind that it's only some highlights from a mere seven years), so I'm really curious how you could possibly come up with a more impressive list. Maybe "Mofo" and "A Man and a Woman" are timeless classics now?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom