Is this the worst comment ever......?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahweh said:
Beatles are a great band but also one of the most over rated bands in music history and always will be because of the time they came out which was perfect for them. If they came out today I dont think they would do nearly as well or have nearly as many timeless classics.

You are contradicting yourself here. If they are "timeless classics" then it doesn't really matter when they were are produced.

roy said:
The Beatles also relied heavily on drugs to boost their creativity. U2's brilliance came naturally..

Well it worked and it still dosn´t change the fact that The Beatles is the biggest band of all time and always will be.

Last edited:
roy said:

I Will follow
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New years day
Pride
Bad
Unforgettable Fire
Where the Street shave No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without you
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
One Tree Hill
Sweetest Thing
Desire
All I want Is You
The Fly
Even better Than the real Thing
One
Until The End of the World
Mysterious Ways
Stay
Numb
Love Me, Thrill Me...
Ms Sarajevo
Discotheque
Mofo
Staring At the Sun
Gone
Beautiful Day
Stuck In a Momnet
Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
Somtimes You can't make it on your Own
COBL
Original of the Species.

I'm sure there are plenty of others I've omitted...

Bullet the Blue Sky?

Numb??!?!?

One Tree Hill?

Stay?

The Fly?

SWEETEST THING ????!?!?!?!?!?!

Hold Me, Thrill Me?????

Discotheque???!?!?!?!?!

Mofo?!?!?!?!?

Elevation?!?!?!?!

...and more.

Eternal classics??? Come on!
Do you seriously believe anyone, besides the surviving U2 fans, will remember even the titles of these songs in 50 years?

U2Man said:

Bullet the Blue Sky?

Numb??!?!?

One Tree Hill?

Stay?

The Fly?

SWEETEST THING ????!?!?!?!?!?!

Hold Me, Thrill Me?????

Discotheque???!?!?!?!?!

Mofo?!?!?!?!?

Elevation?!?!?!?!

...and more.

Eternal classics??? Come on!
Do you seriously believe anyone, besides the surviving U2 fans, will remember even the titles of these songs in 50 years?

If your interpretation of "Ethernal classic" includes

Birthday,
Lady Madonna &
Hello Goodbye

then...HELL...yes

yimou said:

Well it worked and it still dosn´t change the fact that The Beatles is the biggest band of all time and always will be.

Maybe, but I always feel that with The Beatles V U2 debate it's like comparing a 100ms runner who is clean with one that is tanked up on steriods...

roy said:

If your interpretation of "Ethernal classic" includes

Birthday,
Lady Madonna &
Hello Goodbye

then...HELL...yes

Lady Madonna and Hello Goodbye could certainly top any U2 song. So, yes.

roy said:

I'm still waiting for the punch line...

I just cannot comprehend how you can regard the songs I pointed out above to be eternal classics, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yes it does matter when they were produced, the Beatles came out at a time when rock was in its infancy stages and it was much easier to write music that hadent been done before. There is many more so called timeless artists that came out of the 50s and 60s for this very reason, just because you were there first doesnt mean you are a better band. I am saying if the Beatles came out today it would be much harder for them to write such timeless classics as the ones they did.

U2Man said:

I just cannot comprehend how you can regard the songs I pointed out above to be eternal classics, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Seriously, if you think 'Hello Goodbye' is greater than 'Stay' then you need you head examined. U2man indeed..

Yahweh said:
Yes it does matter when they were produced, the Beatles came out at a time when rock was in its infancy stages and it was much easier to write music that hadent been done before. There is many more so called timeless artists that came out of the 50s and 60s for this very reason, just because you were there first doesnt mean you are a better band. I am saying if the Beatles came out today it would be much harder for them to write such timeless classics as the ones they did.

I do understand what you mean. BUT. If the members of U2 had been born at the time the members of The Beatles were born, do you think they would have made the same amount of eternal classics? Would they have made the same kind of music? Would they have given the world "Elanor Rigby"? Pretty hypothetically, but I don't think you should let this speculation about the time of the creation of the music overshadow the fact that Lennon and McCartney were geniuses, brilliant song writers that noone has ever really been comparable too, imo.

roy said:

Seriously, if you think 'Hello Goodbye' is greater than 'Stay' then you need you head examined. U2man indeed..

Thanks for your kind remark. Didn't see where I was that rude to you. Pretty pointless to discuss anything with you if this is indeed your attitude. I feel no need to get my head examined, FYI.

How old are you, btw?

U2Man said:

Thanks for your kind remark. Didn't see where I was that rude to you. Pretty pointless to discuss anything with you if this is indeed your attitude. I feel no need to get my head examined, FYI.

How old are you, btw?

35. Huge Beatles fan also. Old enough to recognise that Lady Madonna and Hello Goodbye were just stop-gap crap that Macca could've witten in a coma.

...which only shows that even in a coma, Macca would be a better song writer than any member of U2.

roy said:

Mate, as the saying goes, stop while you're behind..

Are you kidding me? People who take to rudeness are behind. That's the first sign of weakness.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

The songwriting of Lennon/McCartney and the songwriting of Edge/Bono are not easy to compare, imo. I think they are both genius in their own ways, but they are based in different styles.

Lennon and McCartney wrote melody-based music. Even in the post-Revolver days when the music got a little more 'rock', it was based in and on melodies. And Lennon and McCartney were really fucking brilliant at writing pop/rock melodies, and the harmonies to go with them. Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, I Want To Hold Your Hand, Hey Jude, Hello Goodbye, Lady Madonna, Norwegian Wood, In My Life, Hard Day's Night, Help, all based in melody.

Edge and Bono write music that is based in the concept of creating soundscapes, atmospheres, little worlds, with the music. Or at least that's what they wrote until ATYCLB, and still do on a song here and a song there. Streets, Bad, Until The End, NYD, WOWY, The Fly, Lemon, Mofo, Please, etc etc, do not have, imo, a melody as the driving force. They are about soundscapes and atmospheres, using instruments to create an aural world, if you will.

Both are genius in their own ways, like I said before. However, it is easier, imo, for a great melody to become timeless and known by generations over than it is for a soundscape or musical atmosphere to do the same. That, imo, is why the Beatles music is more timeless in that respect.

It would be easier to compare the Beatles to Simon&Garfunkel and the like, while comparing U2 to The Cure and Depeche Mode and to an extent, Radiohead.

Last edited:
U2Man said:

Are you kidding me? People who take to rudeness are behind. That's the first sign of weakness.

No, actually the 1st sign of weakness was yours, when you stated:

"Lady Madonna and Hello Goodbye could certainly top any U2 song"

I only brought this up again 'cause I think it would be funny if you were brave/stupid enough to repeat it twice.

Sooo, away you go..........

roy said:

No, actually the 1st sign of weakness was yours, when you stated:

I only brought this up again 'cause I think it would be funny if you were brave/stupid enough to repeat it twice.

Sooo, away you go..........

Well, I guess you really aren't worth discussing anything with. Sad, really. :wave:

U2Man said:

Well, I guess you really aren't worth discussing anything with. Sad, really. :wave:

As expected: indeed why embarrass yourself twice:

lol

Last edited:
Well, discuss with me U2man. Why do you think that Lady Madonna and Hello Goodbye can top any U2 song?

I really think you're going too far. U2 are my favourite band but I have no problems saying that songs like Hey Jude, The Long and winding road, Help, Ticket to Ride, A Day In the Life (my 5 favourite Beatles songs I think) and a few more top any U2 song. But... Hello, Goodbye? I would compare that one to The Sweetest Thing maybe :)

Bullet the Blue Sky, Numb, Stay, The Fly, SWEETEST THING, Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, Discotheque, Mofo, Elevation

Eternal classics?`

LOL!

What's sad is that I wrote what I think is an intelligent and well thought-out post and yet no one has responded to it, opting to continue bickering instead.

MacPhistoPT said:
Well, discuss with me U2man. Why do you think that Lady Madonna and Hello Goodbye can top any U2 song?

In the end, it's taste. But they are very catchy tunes. Don't most people know both of them? Can they sing along to Hello Goodbye? Sure yes, they can. How many people in this world know Stay besides the U2 fans?

doctorwho said:

While one might argue that the members of the Beatles were more creative, again, a different era was present. U2 have to work a lot harder, IMO, to produce quality music - partly because of bands like the Beatles. Likewise, newer artists have to work harder partly because of bands like U2. One can always make some flashy rock song that captures the zeitgeist of a particular season, but will it be remembered in 5 years? 10 years? 30 years? The Beatles have proven their music stands the test of time. U2 have shown the same.

Excellent point, doctorwho:up:

U2Man, is there anything you do LIKE about U2? I'm hard pressed to find any kind words you have to say about them.
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything I'm just curious :wink:

sue4u2 said:

Excellent point, doctorwho:up:

U2Man, is there anything you do LIKE about U2? I'm hard pressed to find any kind words you have to say about them.
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything I'm just curious :wink:

Just because I acknowledge that they are not the best of the best of all the best, doesn't mean that I don't like them. Not at all.

U2Man said:

In the end, it's taste. But they are very catchy tunes. Don't most people know both of them? Can they sing along to Hello Goodbye? Sure yes, they can. How many people in this world know Stay besides the U2 fans?

Okay. I would not compare Stay (one of the songs that "touches" me more) and Hello, Goodbye (just a nice tune) but you're right, it's only personal taste.

And I must agree with your point. When I first listened Hello, Goodbye I thought that I had already heard it somewhere. With Stay it was everything new to my ears.

U2Man said:

'In the end, it's taste. But they are very catchy tunes'

I tried to be good but that is so, sooo funny. :lol:

What I don't understand is that this guy/girl has over 3000 posts :shrug:

MacPhistoPT said:

Okay. I would not compare Stay (one of the songs that "touches" me more) and Hello, Goodbye (just a nice tune) but you're right, it's only personal taste.

And I must agree with your point. When I first listened Hello, Goodbye I thought that I had already heard it somewhere. With Stay it was everything new to my ears.

Yes, but you might not have felt that you had heard it before, if you heard it in the sixties, when it came out.

Back
Top Bottom