"Is This obsession Healthy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
My love for U2 goes further than just appreciating their music. I follow thier concerts, I read into thier lyrics deeply and I go to these boards on a daily basis. Is this healthy for us? I know a lot of the readers here are the same way... many are much worse. What would you guys be doing with your "U2 time" if there was no U2? Would you be a different person? Would you have been the person to cure AIDS if you didn't devote so much time into worshiping U2? What would your life be like good or bad?

I was supremely bored before I got into U2. Now I spend a lot of time here, yes... but I have also met many great people through this board, and I've also been made aware of situations around the world that I ignored before... Because of U2, I traveled on an airplane for the first time, to Ireland! So, I think becoming a U2 fan has been positive for me.

I mean, if you're going to be obsessed with something, nothing better than U2!

bonosloveslave said:
Elaborate please Doug - I'm really shocked that you've never been to a concert :ohmy:

I guess I had an inner fear (I never discussed this with anyone) that I would be idolizing the band if I went to the concerts (and by this, I mean that the expenditure to attend the concert would be out of line with my priorities and responsibilities). I guess I thought it would be too self-indulgent to attend. This despite the fact that my wife would always ask me if I wanted to go (she wasn?t a big U2 fan, but that changed after she saw Bono praying before WTSHNN on the Elevation DVD).

I?ve gotten over this now. I will be there for the next tour. I will be in the front row. Heck, I might even see more than one show! I hope to see all of you at the shows!!

Awesome! It really helped that they made GA available last time around, $40 or $45 (can't remember what it was) isn't all that bad, and this is coming from the cheapest woman on earth :uhoh: But they are so worth it, being there live is indescribable for me :faint:

I actually thought about this myself.....but for what it's worth, I learned so much by being a U2 fanatic (sounds funny but true) and honestly I think it helps me concentrate more on my other work if i have my U2 time once in a while....puts me in a good mood.......(ok sounding very weird but no joke)

:wink:

I was so messed up before I found U2- which might partially be because I was 11, and who's not messed up at 11? Anyway- since I became a fan, I have been more real, and think more deeply about life than a normal 13 year old would. Without U2- I would probably still be the same crazy ,weird, gullibile person that I was at 11. I would probably also still be listening to bad music like the Backstreet Boys *shudders at the thought*

I'd be doing the exact same thing, but just with another band if there was no U2.

I have became more aware not only of what is going on with the world , but also of myself. I have gone through some rough times in my life, and when I listen to their songs like One or Walk On it makes feel better about myself. I am glad that U2 is a part of my life.

nbcrusader said:

I guess I had an inner fear (I never discussed this with anyone) that I would be idolizing the band if I went to the concerts

I felt the same way for a while, but not the same way you did I don't think. I was worried I did spend too much time here and was being too close minded, I felt like I was putting them on a pedestal. But I can honestly say that meeting Bono, especially given the circumstances of the whole AIDS thing, really helped with that. Talking to him face to face helped me see that they really can be average guys.

And speaking of the whole AIDS thing, what Bono said is 100% true, once you know the facts and have seen what's happening to the people in Africa, it is impossible to ignore it and not do something. Sometimes I wish that weren't true b/c I think about it ALL the time and it can be really depressing and frusterating (I don't think Bono gets enough credit considering what he's seen and had to deal with over the years, with so few people willing to listen and act) but in the long run, I know it's for the better and I will forever be greatful for how much bigger my world has become.

Overall, I'd never go back. I've met so many new people and gone so many new places. It's great to have so many people be so welcoming of each other, all with at least one common interest. I think in the past year I've slept in more new people's houses than I did back when slumber parties were fun.

I try to control my obsession. But my love for the band keeps getting the worst of me. First off, I came here! Second, I once made a rule to never purchase any U2 book or video, because that would mean that I'm starting to love the band just a little to much. But now that is waivering. I own the Best of 1990-2000 DVD and Steve Stockman's book "Walk On". I refused to read Bill Flanagan's book, to control myself, but now since I'm hearing all over this board that it is a must read for any U2 fan, I've added it on my list of books to read.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
I'd be doing the exact same thing, but just with another band if there was no U2.

yeah same here. and i can think of a few other bands that i've been just as crazy about.

I have far, far too much fun with U2 fans... I'd never have gone to Nashv.. er.. Louisville :sexywink:

Were I not here I'd be sitting in my room being really, really bored.

i'd just be surfing around u2 sites if i wasn't here.

being here i get to discuss stuff with other u2 fans. which is a lot of fun

I hardly ever even look at other U2 sites any more. Most dont have anything that's truthfully worth looking at.

I've can get most everything I want to see right here.

:yes:I think my "obsession" is completely normal. Really! I know it has freaked out my family and friends over the years, but I think everyone understands me finally. I mean U2 is a big part of my life, and I am so glad they are.
U2 brings me so much happiness! I am completely passionate about them. Instead of being passionate about movies, or other music, I devote my time and $$ to U2.
I know its not a phase, since its been 16 years now. If it was just a phase, then it wouldn't be healthy maybe, lol.
I say U2 is a big part of my life, which it is, but I also maintain my regular life, have held the same job for 7 years now, and have a wonderful marriage to someone I have been with for 10 years. Everyone "obsesses" with something in this world, its what keeps us going. I also love reading about U2, collecting U2 things, making U2 collages, going to their amazing and one of a kind concerts, and most of all I enjoy listening to U2 .
I feel that we are all fortunate to have U2 in our lifetimes, they bring so much excitement and fun to my life!!!
ok, just rambled off a bit ......

:ohmy: My U2 time has only been for 3 years. I remember what it was like before U2. I was always searching for stuff to listen to. I was dying to have that one favorite band again. I was going crazy without anything to listen to.

I would be lost without U2 now. Completely lost. They are my absolute favorite thing in this world and I can't imagine a single day without Bono's voice popping in my head.

u2popmofo said:
I hardly ever even look at other U2 sites any more. Most dont have anything that's truthfully worth looking at.

I've can get most everything I want to see right here.

with the exception of the official site and mrtheedge.com i haven't gone surfing since i've been posting here

U2 have been a part of my life for almost half of it so it's hard to imagine that would ever be any different. Listenting to their music is sometimes like opening a scrapbook...a certain song will bring back personal memories that dont even have anything to do with the band.

The only thing that is really any different is that over the last couple months I started coming here. My best friend moved over an hour away around that time and normally we would have been doing something. If I werent coming here I would probably be watching something mindless on TV etc.

My U2 time has only been for 3 years. I remember what it was like before U2. I was always searching for stuff to listen to. I was dying to have that one favorite band again. I was going crazy without anything to listen to.

I would be lost without U2 now. Completely lost. They are my absolute favorite thing in this world and I can't imagine a single day without Bono's voice popping in my head

Ditto

Kariann said:
If I werent coming here I would probably be watching something mindless on TV etc.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd much rather share my thoughts and read about others' thoughts regarding things I actually care about than spend countless hours watching things that just end up ticking me off on TV.

I thought about this too...is it an obsession if you go to a forum of your favorite band, to have bootlegs, to make special covers for CDs/tapes you have by that band (even though you don't do that with other bands)?

I can't say I was ever interested in reading the U2 books as such (I will admit the Flanagan one sounds very interesting), or buying official videos of their shows, or having posters of them ... I guess the music was enough for me.

If it wasn't U2, I'm not sure my life would be that much different. (I mean, there was a time "before" U2) Maybe I'd find another band to be interested in.

I really can't answer how my life would be without U2....I've been listening to them for practically all my life...when I got old enough to get into music (age 8), I loved them.

It would be like wondering what life would be like without a family member.

After reading about what some fans get up to in the name of love for U2, I think I'm just an average sort of fan who doesn't do anything extraordinary apart from buying U2-related books, magazines, videos & DVDs, checking out U2 sites daily, getting a faster heartbeat whenever a U2 song is playing on the radio and collecting U2 artwork. See, I'm barely obsessed at all, :)

Back
Top Bottom