Irish Independent NLOTH track by track preview / All Other Reviews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So Fez has a sample of GOYB? That's kinda cool and weird.

Also, after it seemed like the punk version was surely going to be the one on the album, it looks like that is definitively not the case. The NLOTH (song) mini-drama has been quite interesting to follow.

So Fez has a sample of GOYB? That's kinda cool and weird.

I’m not going to be able to check myself for a few days, but does GOYB have a sample on it that’s also used at the beginning of LNOE during Popmart (someone check the Mex. DVD for me)? During the Bono-rant at the beginning as the song is just starting to kick in (“I wanted to find GOD!!!!” etc). On GOYB, it’s in between “won’t scare you” and the first “Sexy boots”. Like an electronic whistling.

I’m not going to be able to check myself for a few days, but does GOYB have a sample on it that’s also used at the beginning of LNOE during Popmart (someone check the Mex. DVD for me)? During the Bono-rant at the beginning as the song is just starting to kick in (“I wanted to find GOD!!!!” etc). On GOYB, it’s in between “won’t scare you” and the first “Sexy boots”. Like an electronic whistling.

i guess that is kind of similar, lol. you're talking about the cartoon in the background before LNOE, right?

it all sounds fantastic. it sounds like U2 have given us all that they could, and if you don't like it, that's fine, but they've kept up their end of the bargain and put everything they have into the record. if it's not for you, then it's not for you.

these are good days to be a U2 fan. :)

Spot On.:up:

So people are saying the original non-punk NLOTH is the one on the album now?

The album version has been described as slow in parts and "atmospheric". I think that pretty safely rules out the punk version, but I guess anything is possible. The descriptions actually sound most like the original one from the Sundance festival all that time ago. Strange.

The album version has been described as slow in parts and "atmospheric". I think that pretty safely rules out the punk version, but I guess anything is possible. The descriptions actually sound most like the original one from the Sundance festival all that time ago. Strange.

It seems the atmospheric one won the game. The punk one moved to the single hehehe.

i'm hoping that in these next waves of reviews, someone mentions whether or not the album has a nice flow.

I am loving the fact that many of these reviews are saying that some songs sound a lot like AB esp like songs like UV and UTEOTW which happen to be two of my favorite (apart from the fly) songs on my favorite album of all time (U2 wise and all time ever).

^ the atmospheric one always sounded from the descriptions like itd fit the album better.

People were talking about the M-MOS-UC stretch, but you can almost definately add NLOTH to that after what Danny has said about it.

I’ve been trying desperately to keep any excitement in check. “Remember Atomic Bomb got great early reviews as well, Earnie” I say to myself. “Remember the Bomb beach clips sounded great”.

Do. Not. Get. Your. Hopes. Up.

I am having great difficulty with this.

What I hope for more than anything on this record is that they perform at their real level of ability. When a band writes songs like 'Please', 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress', 'Stateless', 'Miss Sarajevo', 'Gone', 'The Ground Beneath Her Feet', etc, then writes, not that many years later, 'Vertigo', they are intentionally performing beneath their own capabilities, period, as far as I'm concerned(Native Son > Vertigo). One of my favorite Bono quotes ever is from the end of the "VH1 Legends: U2" episode, which was made in 1998 - each band member had a closing quote and this was Bono's:

"I don't wanna be in a crap band, and the minute U2 becomes a crap band, we're, you know, we're all out of here. And crap does not mean, it's not measured in sales, or even relevance, it's about the sense of adventure, is it still there, are you still blowing your own mind, are you still growing as a musician, and as a songwriter, and as a person, and I think, I think that in U2 we are, right now."

I hope, more than anything else for this album, that it reflects that the spirit of this quote and the belief in this quote are still alive in Bono and the rest of the band, that they blew their own minds making this record, that they grew as musicians, songwriters, and people making this record. I hope this record as at or above their own level of capability, and that they put everything they had into it. I don't have to think the record is the greatest thing U2's ever put out. I don't have to think it's a brilliant record. I just have to hear that the band that was still capable of putting out Stateless and The Ground Beneath Her Feet just nine years ago is still there(no, that doesn't mean the record has to sound like those songs, just that it needs to be at that level of depth, maturity, and sophistication), and that they still have the artistic and creative ambition and restlessness required to make the idea of releasing Vertigo after Vertigo for the rest of their career sound appalling to them. That's my hope for this record. For me, being disappointed in a record because I feel like my favorite band doesn't care about making truly great music anymore would be far more painful than being disappointed in a record because my favorite band tried to do something new and brilliant and challenging that just happened to not be my cup of tea.

Bang on. I’d be more than happy for them to try something really ambitious and fall flat on their faces, but two HTDAAB in a row, I’m gone, and they probably should be as well. Thankfully, hopefully, it really doesn’t sound like that’s what we’re getting.

That one guy said Boots is the most challenging song on the album. It's not challenging at all.

And those Crazy Tonight lyrics are completely horrible.

I'm glad these reviews didn't get me any more hyped for the album.

That one guy said Boots is the most challenging song on the album. It's not challenging at all.

" I just decided that I won't visit these boards again until feb. 20th. "

what happened :(

way to dig through all the great stuff just to find something negative to post. you're so intelligent!

Two types of skeptical u2 fans:

Type 1.) Loves U2 but not a big fan of their recent work. Hoping for the best and rooting for their beloved band to make a huge comeback.
Will listen to the new songs with an open heart and an optimistic outlook.

Type 2.) Hates Bono. Doesn't like U2. Tells his friends and acquaintances that he "used to like u2 before he grew up."
Roots hard for the new album to suck because he's emotionally vested
in a few long running squabbles on a U2 fan forum. Already hates the new songs although he hasn't even heard them yet. Already "knows" that they're going to suck and is secretly thrilled about it.

Hint: you're not type 1. :barf:

mm Here's a thought: I don't remember which review was, but it said Moment of Surrender had a "oh OH oh OH" type of chorus. Has anyone heard beach clip 5??

This is why i think the Australian bonus track is called the "Alternative" version rather than the "Alternate" version.

Its an Alternative Music incarnation of the song, not just an Alternate take like the HTDAAB Unreleased and Rare tracks.

Just something i noticed.

mm, does anyone have similar articles about HTDAAB, just to compare

sounds great either way

well, these reviewsvleave me somewhat confused. Some descriptions sound great butvthen the every generationbhas a chance line sounds like the earnest Bono from HTDAAB. I want the ironic prankster Bono. Oh well, I'd rather havevlow expectations than dangerously high expectations.

So, who likes Boots still? Anyone?

well, these reviewsvleave me somewhat confused. Some descriptions sound great butvthen the every generationbhas a chance line sounds like the earnest Bono from HTDAAB. I want the ironic prankster Bono. Oh well, I'd rather havevlow expectations than dangerously high expectations.

Reviews..Smeeviews. Its all in the opinion of the person. I won't be paying much attention to these reviews.

BTW Boots has really grown on me. I'm really liking the song at the moment.

HOW DARE THEE JUDGE THE LYRICS OUT OF CONTEXT!

J/k. I agree with you on that line. I think Bono these days has a hard time seperating his speeches from his lyrics. Then again, if he does choose to preach to us...how about a little something less corny and "heal the world"ish?

If only the pessemistic Bono of "Wake Up Dead Man" were alive today, what would he have to say about everything?

(A BOMB FALLS)

Today Bono - Oh...you look so beautiful.

WUDM Bono - This is FUCKED!!

I do like GOYB based on the music and melodies. If only Bono can snap out of Barney mode we'll see something intense coming from all angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom