Invisible - Reactions Thread (Do not post song requests - Discussion only!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard it on youtube! The song is AWESOME. Just Awesome! A classic, after just one listen!

According to that video, Bono says there are two different versions of 'Invisible', with the second one being the (RED) Edit Version. :hmm:

:heart:

I love you all right now.

Group Interference hug, everyone. Even those who don't like it. Come on. Get in here.

It's a damn shame that they're not dropping the album in a couple months. What the hell are they thinking? This song would be a great lead single.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

The intro is pretty sweet, I dig the Kraftwerk vibe. Musically the song is solid over all, though I wish Edge was being a bit more adventurous.

The changing of the drum part in the chorus doesn't work for me, it kills the momentum.

The song reminds me of the faster songs on October done in they style of Beautiful Day. They're definitely trying for another mega pop anthem. That's not really something you can force...

It's well written, and the full length version is probably a lot better. Still, it's a bit generic. It demolishes Ordinary Love though, so that's a good sign. I like most of NLOTH better though. This is a bit generic and safe, and exactly the kind of thing that a bank would approve of.

I don't know what it is about Bono's singing that bothers me so much. I think it's his pronunciation. He sounds really conscious of what he's singing and trying to sound pretty instead of just going for it. When his voice was great, like on Zooropa, it sounded unforced. It didn't sound like he was trying to sound pretty, he just did. He's got to let loose a bit. He reminds me of one of those actors who are always obviously conscious that they're being filmed.

The vocals are mixed to high. They lyrics are decent.

6.5/10, but 5/10 on the U2 scale. Catchy but not much to it, either musically or lyrically. It's a song, and it's not bad. U2 should be able to do better than "not bad." They're at their best when getting out of their comfort zone, and they sound pretty comfortable here, so we'll probably get a record that isn't bad but is ultimately forgettable.

I think it's hard to say....OL was no indication of Invisible....so Invisible might not be any indication of what's next either.....who knows?

As far as Zooropa vocals, that was 20 years ago lol......

And I guess it's just my taste but I totally disagree about NLOTH....this thing blows away any tune on that pile of crap.

It's a damn shame that they're not dropping the album in a couple months. What the hell are they thinking? This song would be a great lead single.

My fear is that the other lead single is going to be crappy like Boots.

The intro is pretty sweet, I dig the Kraftwerk vibe. Musically the song is solid over all, though I wish Edge was being a bit more adventurous.

The changing of the drum part in the chorus doesn't work for me, it kills the momentum.

The song reminds me of the faster songs on October done in they style of Beautiful Day. They're definitely trying for another mega pop anthem. That's not really something you can force...

It's well written, and the full length version is probably a lot better. Still, it's a bit generic. It demolishes Ordinary Love though, so that's a good sign. I like most of NLOTH better though. This is a bit generic and safe, and exactly the kind of thing that a bank would approve of.

I don't know what it is about Bono's singing that bothers me so much. I think it's his pronunciation. He sounds really conscious of what he's singing and trying to sound pretty instead of just going for it. When his voice was great, like on Zooropa, it sounded unforced. It didn't sound like he was trying to sound pretty, he just did. He's got to let loose a bit. He reminds me of one of those actors who are always obviously conscious that they're being filmed.

The vocals are mixed to high. They lyrics are decent. The guitar should be louder because Edge has a pretty cool sound going on in the verse.

6.5/10, but 5/10 on the U2 scale. Catchy but not much to it, either musically or lyrically. It's a song, and it's not bad. U2 should be able to do better than "not bad." They're at their best when getting out of their comfort zone, and they sound pretty comfortable here, so we'll probably get a record that isn't bad but is ultimately forgettable.

:up::up::up:

I'm fearful of this as well, haha, but I'm trying not to think about that!

The Super Bowl ad is awesome. Doesn't hit you over the head with anything, it's clean, simple, straight to the point and looks awesome. That shot of Bono and Edge out on that runway with the crowd's flashlight's pulsating is so damn cool.

I think with the reaction 'Invisible' is getting, maybe this was their first choice for the lead single a while back. It would be a safe choice if they decided to revert it back to being the lead single. We'll see.

Sounds great so far - what I like about it most is that there is no cloudy production that U2 has been known for on their albums - it seems like a clean recording. You can tell this track has a different production team.

Could not agree more. Typical interference reaction really. The song is so disappointing, and after five years of waiting, this is all that they could produce. Think of classics like Ultraviolet, Love is Blindness, UTEOTW etc and compare them to this..Have almost lost all hope in u2's ability to produce classics like they used to.:down::down::down:

The problem may be that you're expecting a song as good as those classics. It's not going to happen. This is an old band trying desperately to keep relevant. In that regard, they've done a fine job with this. Be realistic.

According to that video, Bono says there are two different versions of 'Invisible', with the second one being the (RED) Edit Version. :hmm:

I hope we get a third chorus in the album version. It's too good not to hear it again. I don't care for that outro. The song ends on a weak note.

mikal, have you started talking to yourself now? :D :hug:

Guys, I think the possibility still remains that Bono was (1) saying that if this song wasn't a hit, then they would go off with new producers because they'd be freaked out, and (2) that he was being coy. Come on, they're really just going to have this terrific song with the most hit potential of any song since Beautiful Day be a thing for a month, a couple of weeks at most, go on Fallon, and then just kind of ignore it. And how do you know that the new version he's referring to there couldn't be a reference to another studio take on Invisible and not specifically the RED edit? I still feel like the commercial could have some more news for us and if not that, Fallon will for sure.
Anyways, great song. Really does have a new kind of sound while still harkening back to U2's older work and Bowie/Kraftwerk, New Order. Danger Mouse really knows how to make a rhythm section sound great. I think that this could be a big hit.

I hope we get a third chorus in the album version. It's too good not to hear it again. I don't care for that outro. The song ends on a weak note.

Was there a mention somewhere in one of the interviews/articles that the crowd chanting might be in the album version?

In that video clip on the U2 Facebook page that's floating around, I thought the chanting/singing worked really well within the context of the song.

I cant see what else they would have edited out for this, except the ending.

I think with the reaction 'Invisible' is getting, maybe this was their first choice for the lead single a while back. It would be a safe choice if they decided to revert it back to being the lead single. We'll see.

This is the standard interference reaction to any first single release. Give it a few days for the hype and excitement to die down, and then you will get a better idea as to what people really think of the song. Imo, NLOTH (the single) was a much superior piece when compared to this.

And also, has anyone noticed how tight Danger Mouse keeps the songs? I can almost hear where he's cutting it off where Eno/Lanois would have let them go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom