In the studio next month?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biff

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From today's Guardian Newsblog:

It was a moment a true U2 fan would have paid thousands to see. On the banks of the river Niger, in Bamako, the capital of Mali, there was the chance to see Bono jamming with a local band, writes Larry Elliott.

Unfortunately for U2 die-hards, this was a gig that had an audience of barely two dozen - and at least half of those were part of Bono's entourage during his six-nation tour of Africa to monitor progress in the continent since last year's Gleneagles deal on debt relief and aid.

Bono said he felt moved to jam after watching the five-piece Samaguera perform at an open-air restaurant, La Pirogue. After a day of thunderstorms marking the onset of the rainy season, the U2 singer grabbed the microphone during the band's encore and - not being fluent in the local patois - proceeded to make up the lyrics to his own impromptu song, "Africa's sun is rising," as he went along.

"I'm not normally that keen on jamming," he said afterwards, "but it seemed the mannerly thing to do." Bono said that he understood for the first time how the roots of rock and roll were in those parts of Africa that became a centre for the slave trade. "There is the river, there is the delta, there is the cotton." It all falls into place. This is where rock 'n' roll started, you could argue.

The bad news for U2 fans is that there is no chance of securing a bootleg copy of the performance, which went unrecorded.
The good news is that Bono goes back into the studio next month to start writing songs with the rest of the band. And he was in good voice.

:hyper:

i wonder what made him write that? where'd he get the info?

i'm not so keen on Africa's Sun Is Rising... As much as I love the Africa work, part of me actually doesn't want him to record as soon as he gets home from the trip. :shrug: True, we got Streets post-Africa trip, but his mindset is much different now.

somehow i don't consider a quote after a mini jam session in africa to be gospel.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't expect them to ALL be back in the studio before spring of 2007.

why wouldnt they go into the studio next month? why spring oh seven? why does THAT make more sense? your skepticism wont make the new album come any faster. maybe the person who wrote the article actually asked bono what was up with u2? maybe that was the answer? i dont know, just a guess.

i think i predicted this happening one of the new album threads. mark my words, there will be a new album before the tour resumes. and no im not just being optimistc, im simply putting clues together.

something to note: theyre not hyping up this one as much as they did htdaab. they seem to be hush hush this time around, even bono. im thinking they want it to speak for itself. thatd be cool if it was inspired by the bluesy jazzy jammy new orleans music the edge has been around and the jamming bono has seen and named the new record Roots. im not expecting to hear all those synthetic noises that have been around u2 for a while. someone pointed out that they dont use delays and echos and other effects because of the improvement in musicianship as of late. well maybe we'll finally get to see how good they naturally can be.

I just finished watching the NBC news feature, and Brian Williams also said that at the end of this Africa trip Bono is heading straight into the studio in Dublin with 8 new songs he has written.
(Sounds promising to me, but of course the naysayers will dismiss it, as usual.)

Yes, he did. It was hard to hear because they were in a small plane with a really loud engine. I'll have to give it a re-listen. I did catch the word "kneel", though.:wink:

biff said:
Yes, he did. It was hard to hear because they were in a small plane with a really loud engine. I'll have to give it a re-listen. I did catch the word "kneel", though.:wink:

Has Bono plagiarised the Start (To Kneel) song I wrote? :mad:

In all seriousness, is there enough time for the band to record and release something before the tour restarts? I pointed out in another thread that no U2 tour has ever gone on so long after its album was released. So if they start recording in June, would it be realistic for them to record, master, press, and distribute an EP in time for the final shows? I'm just envisaging a 4-5 song EP here. Maybe even cut out the pressing and distributing of CDs and release it on iTunes?

Axver said:
In all seriousness, is there enough time for the band to record and release something before the tour restarts? I pointed out in another thread that no U2 tour has ever gone on so long after its album was released. So if they start recording in June, would it be realistic for them to record, master, press, and distribute an EP in time for the final shows? I'm just envisaging a 4-5 song EP here. Maybe even cut out the pressing and distributing of CDs and release it on iTunes?

We can all hope for another Zooropa but I don't think nowadays U2 can zoom through the production of a new album by winter. Edge buried himself in the studio, and let's not forget after all there was a reason the tour was delayed- one band member couldn't stay away from their family.

I could see an EP though- and if it's an EP, get a clue from Radiohead and use the South Pacific dates as a live rehersal of the songs and a treat to the waiting crowds, don't rush through something just to make an arbitrary winter date.

They can go into the studio for a bit and wrap up a couple of songs. There's no rule that says they need to finish an entire album all at once.

There's also a (really small) possibility U2 writes some songs that will be 'tested' during the finishing of the Vertigo Tour. Just like Radiohead is testing their new songs during their current tour.

Can't see it happen though. :sad:

I still say this tour delay means we will get a new album faster, I don't think we're getting an EP.

Think about it; do you really think U2 won't get any studio time between Denton intervew and November?

8 new songs from Bono, producers picking out the best of Bomb leftovers...something is going on.

Last edited:
oh please god!!
I really hope a new album can come out this year!!
something similar in size and mood to zooropa!
Please please please.....

I disagree with anyone who says there will be a full album. If there's a full album, can any of us here see U2 NOT touring to support it? If they release another album, that will mean tour legs in the US and Europe. Frankly, I don't think U2 want to do that; they'd rather take another year off.

t8thgr8 said:
why wouldnt they go into the studio next month? why spring oh seven? why does THAT make more sense? your skepticism wont make the new album come any faster

Because you think that our optimism would make them RRRRUN like missiles into the studio? It's realism, not skepticism. The band has still a tour to end, and summer is coming and they won't never in the world spend their holidays working. We all know how U2's times are, they're not fast. I think it's even too optimistic guessing they will enter the studio in spring 2007........could even be fall 2007. They're since 2 years around now, I don't think they would have the will to make another album/tour in less than a year. There will be another album by the end of 2008 and a tour in 2009. It's not skepticism, it's how U2 are

I like the optimism, but given their track history of an album every 3-4 years (Especially in the 2nd half of their career), I think the new album would be miles away.

Back
Top Bottom