"If God Will Sends His Angels"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RademR

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I've been on the blue crack for a few years now, and this song is rarely brought up. Not a hit or anything off POP and dumped by the band live early in Popmart, maybe the reasons. So I was listening through POP in it's entirety the other day,and was wondering what people thought of it.

Me, personally, I think it's a good song but is just missing something from making it a great one. The lyrics by Bono are really strong for me, but musically it isn't anything that special, and in the end some parts become boring. Kind of missing that "u2 magic" or something.

I still enjoy it though. What do you guys think of it??? It's not brought up much.

We discussed this a while back.

I love the song , nice bass and great simple guitar work, lovely lyrics.

" cartoon network turns into the news " <----- my fav line

Great great lyrics! I love the bass too but yeah, like you said overall it's not great musically. Production could've been better on the album!

listening to it on headphones is amazing

i think it could be a great live song if they did it right

:bow: Probably the song that got me into U2...

My sister had the "City of Angels" soundtrack and when I heard it I thought it was amazing, and then I realized I liked a few other songs from POP so I bought it and thus began an eternal love for the band called U2. Aww, the emotion... :sad:

vaz02 said:

" cartoon network turns into the news " <----- my fav line

mine too :wink:

the Single version is a little better for me as well

Chizip said:
listening to it on headphones is amazing

need to try that. a lot of POP tracks are great on headphones

Last edited:
oh man, its my #1 headphone song as it improves it so much

there are lots of sounds going on in there

Nobody else here baby
No one here to blame
No one to point the finger
It's just you and me and the rain...

Possibly the greatest opening set of lines of any U2 song. Sounds like it's just you and Bono somewhere out there....

Michael Griffiths said:
Nobody else here baby
No one here to blame
It's just you and me in the rain...

Possibly the greatest opening set of lines of any U2 song. Sounds like it's just you and Bono somewhere out there....

<----- instant visual picture ------>

Michael Griffiths said:
Nobody else here baby
No one here to blame
It's just you and me and the rain...

like in my bed :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Chizip & Bono sittin in a tree

well i dunno about that, i think the branch would break

have you seen the new shirtless pics of bono??? he's faaaaat

the single version stands out...I love that song...especially the "I don't need to know how and I don't need to know why, (something rather) I just need you tonight"
Can anyone tell me why the live version lacked all passion?

I have to agree with everyone else..I love the song but the single version makes it even better...IMO the same goes for Please

Flying FuManchu said:
Single version was best and it is a song that sounds best with ear phones b/c there are a lot of things going around in the background. I don't see this song ever sounding good live though.

I totally agree with you. I love listening to those songs on my ipod. I think thats what they were made for.

I do like the addition of the extra lines at the end of the single version, but it's chopped shorter at the beginning.

Love the song though. And, as opposed to an earlier poster, I think it has the "U2 magic" in spades, and in a way similar to With or Without You, love how the song threatens to explode but never does.

Jesus never let me down
You know Jesus used to show me the score
Then they put Jesus in show business
Now it's hard to get in the door

Easily one of the best verses Bono's ever written.

Axver said:
Jesus never let me down
You know Jesus used to show me the score
Then they put Jesus in show business
Now it's hard to get in the door

Easily one of the best verses Bono's ever written.

Agreed, but its one of my least favourite U2 songs. that doesn't mean I don't see some good in it though.
Good lyrics, but in general I find it quite dull. Should NEVER have been released as a single, instead Do you feel loved or the glorious Mofo should have.

This might sound weird, but has anyone ever experienced the silence that comes the split second after an explosion, or major accident, or anything like that? A busy street or room and something just goes *bang*, major car crash or something, and absolutely everything in the world, including all noise, either stops or seems to stop. Shocked silence. I always think of this song as being sung in that moment.

An Cat Gav said:

Agreed, but its one of my least favourite U2 songs. that doesn't mean I don't see some good in it though.
Good lyrics, but in general I find it quite dull. Should NEVER have been released as a single, instead Do you feel loved or the glorious Mofo should have.

Actually it was released as a double single with mofo in the UK - (but only the remixes of mofo admittedly)

I agree with you though that it should'nt have been released as a single..

Perhaps after the pop fiasco they decided it was the only way they could release it to the public in it's finished form - mofo had clearly been completed on the album already.

Back
Top Bottom