I wrote a rant about U2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really I am glad to see people like this go away from the fan base.

The elitist attitude that says the band should not promote there music or want to be in the top 40 or win Grammy’s is a fucking stupid one.

Good riddance to you and those fans like you.

Yes, more ATYCLB bashing coming our way. Someone tell me, am I still the only person alive who thinks ATYCLB is a brilliant album?:reject:

Yes, you are Lance.
I tend to agree with more of the article than I disagree with it.
Some people just find it so unfathomable that you could be a U2 fan and share some of these feelings. This day was bound to come. It did for the Stones. It did for the Dead. It didn't mean that they weren't well-loved, stadium-sell-out bands anymore. It just meant that the days of wine and roses were over. It happens. I love U2. I'll go see them if I get a chance. But the best days are in the past, no question.

I guess there's nothing left to be said that hasn't already been.

So instead, I will just second the argument that there were $49.50 reserved seats available at the shows.

HA! Take that! :madspit:

No, seriously, nothing wrong with stating your opinion (yeah, that's been said too). I think there are some flaws in your arguments, but hey, that's just my opinion (yeah, I know, been said already as well). I just find it hard to believe that irrelevant dinosaurs can sell out 20,000 seat arenas in less than 10 minutes. Sure, Kiss and Aerosmith may sell lotsa tickets, and undoubtedly sell out their shows. But 20,000+ seat arenas in 10 minutes or less? In multiple cities? With multiple dates in some cities? I don't think so, my man. I think the rock juggernaut that is U2 is still rollin and pickin up passengers along the way.

Then again, that's just my opinion. :yes:

You are more than entitled to your opinion but why did you try to buy tickets to see these pathetic rock and roll dinosaurs play their oatmeal flavoured non-music?

I'm not sure how I feel about the "How dare you post this on a U2 site" posts. A U2 site is exactly where discussions like this should happen. Frankly, I want to agree with the post and spend the $1000 or more I'll spend on U2 this year on something else, even on one of the celebrated causes. But the emotional impact of the Bomb reveals a very different feeling for me, something pround, something I can't shake.
I'd actually given up on this band years ago after being a JT-era bonophilic fanatic. Four years later, I'm still having a "Beautiful Day," "Kite" still makes me cry, and I've forgiven many of Bono's sins of ego and greed and becoming the system he was supposed to destroy. Now, the bomb keeps getting dropped on my heart and brain, climbing into my playlist when I look the other way.
Sometimes I can't make it on my own. Sometimes Bono's voice helps get me through the day.
love, Anu

Last edited:
U2 doesn't need the money and I don't think they are compelled by their record deal to complete albums in certain time periods by certain dates. It seems they continue to chase their passion of making moving, beautiful music. And what seems very tangible to me is that U2 seem to enjoy that chase as much as ever. I find that very admirable and worthy.

Whether one enjoys the product anymore is certainly a longstanding tradition of being a fan of anything - sport, politics, literature, music, etc. So I find this thread's topic no different than any other time after U2 produces new work. Someone, some fan always feels left behind.

Luckily we have a big music market place to explore other opportunities. Other opportunities to be a fan.

I can only say good luck in the hunt for music that moves you like U2's music apparently once did. And pack for a long trip. If you're honest, it's going to take a long, long time...

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
Too bad U2 wasn't paid for the iPod commercials and the cheapest seats were $49.50 and not $100. I really don't care what you think about the band but I don't see any wiggle room for criticism for what Bono does in his 'offtime'.

Thank you (and are ticket prices even always at the control of the band anyway? Is it really fair to always blame the artist for high ticket prices? We all know that some ticket places can do some crappy things, and my sister's had friends who've told horror stories about ticket problems that the artist they wanted to see had no control over).

And the essay also reminded me of something else that the public's done from time to time that bugs me-I wish people would learn more about the story behind Bono and Edge's nicknames before poking fun at them. They've had those names long before they were famous, and I understand from...the "Legends" show, I believe it was, that Edge said the nicknames all the friends gave each other were supposed to expose a less flattering facet of yourself or something like that-it wasn't some egotistical things. Besides that, they didn't even pick the names, their friends did!

And as for U2's music-personally, I love their 80s stuff, I love their 90s stuff, and I love their 00s stuff, too. I can find something about each and every one of their albums that I like-there's no real preference for one decade over another for me.

Okay. I've said my piece. *Fades into the background*

Angela

Come on a U2 board and bash the band with incorrect information. Good thing to do. Smart. Very smart.

He should get bashed.

Everybody has an opinion and they're entitled to it. My points of contention with your well written diatribe have already been mentioned by others so there is no need to rehash them. I would however like to add, that apparently there are plenty of people who still feel U2 is relevant and making great music. I sight the many newer fans (read post-Pop era, mostly Elevation tour and beyond), who bitched and moaned about fans like myself (read pre-Pop, ex-Propaganda members) who had better access to tickets in the fall leg presales. They vehemently expressed their misplaced frustration and dissappointment at us, while at the same time making it clear that they loved the music and the band as just as much as we did.

After reading your post and looking at your screen name, I thought to myself that you might want to go back into your hole before you're turned into stew. :wink: To be sure my translation was correct, I checked Webster's dictionary, don't have a French one anymore, and this is what it said.

lapin - noun French (circa 1905) 1: rabbit; specif. a castrated male rabbit.:ohmy:

Not saying anything personal about you, but you night want to rethink that screen name.:hmm:

RobH said:
Yes, you are Lance.
I tend to agree with more of the article than I disagree with it.
Some people just find it so unfathomable that you could be a U2 fan and share some of these feelings. This day was bound to come. It did for the Stones. It did for the Dead. It didn't mean that they weren't well-loved, stadium-sell-out bands anymore. It just meant that the days of wine and roses were over. It happens. I love U2. I'll go see them if I get a chance. But the best days are in the past, no question.

this is it.

i tried to get tickets because, as i said earlier, they are still a great live band with lots of great songs they will be playing, and i've never seen them live.

i'm a U2 fan. i hate because i love.

Un Lapin said:

this is it.

i tried to get tickets because, as i said earlier, they are still a great live band with lots of great songs they will be playing, and i've never seen them live.

i'm a U2 fan. i hate because i love.
but your still trying to make it out that because your of the opinon that the last 2 albums were poor, that means the whole world thinks the same which now makes U2 washed up dinasours? which is comepletly wrong, now thats my opinion

Lancemc said:
Yes, more ATYCLB bashing coming our way. Someone tell me, am I still the only person alive who thinks ATYCLB is a brilliant album?:reject:

No, you aren't. :)

When your on top the haters come out,
when your on the bottom no haters come out, because why bother?

U2 IS ON TOP !

Everyone do this with me. Think back to watching the Charlie Brown cartoon as a child. The teacher walks in, and what does she say?

:blahblah:

That's exactly how I feel about this post.

KUEFC09U2 said:
but your still trying to make it out that because your of the opinon that the last 2 albums were poor, that means the whole world thinks the same which now makes U2 washed up dinasours? which is comepletly wrong, now thats my opinion

would you bleeding hearts all have felt better if i had prefaced my rant with "In my humble opinion"?

that's not going to happen, because, of course, it's implicit.

"that's just your opinion" remains the ultimate copout. after "Vertigo" of course...

Last edited:
Un Lapin said:

would you bleeding hearts all have felt better if i had prefaced my rant with "In my humble opinion"?

that's not going to happen, because, of course, it's implicit.

"that's just your opinion" remains the ultimate copout. after "Vertigo" of course...

No. The ultimate cop-out is the whole "I hate because I love" schtick.

A troll in fans clothing.

Yet another "rant" that makes me miss Dennis Miller Live. :sad:

(google Dennis Miller rants to see what I mean.)

How does the blame squarely lie on the other 3? What are Edge, Adam, and Larry not doing right, to make this so-called "oatmeal-flavoured non-music."

Adam must be doing something right, as he got his playing on "How to" noticed in a review, not just a brief mention like Rolling Stone or Blender's review, but actual...praise of his playing.

the Wall Street Journal wrote this, "Clayton on bass is a revelation; of course, no rock instrumental trio can thrive without a great bassist, but Clayton is so forceful, so melodic yet so in lock-step with Mullen and the Edge that his performance demands reconsideration of his body of work. That is, has he always been this good?" Dec. 28, 2004

For the bass player to get noticed, he must be doing something right.

Rant and rave all you want if you dont like the new album that is your loss and nobody elses, but please if you dispise it that much dont come here and complain about ticket prices.

The tickets are sold out this is economics 101 infact if U2 were really smart and savvy it is apparent they could have charged plenty more and they still would have sold out.

The difference between Kiss and The Rolling Stones compaired with U2 is that U2 actually go out to tour the new material they dont go out to make a greatest hits tour.

If you want to have sex with Achtung Baby go ahead if you want to give a blow job to Joshua Tree go ahead and do that. Joshua Tree is close to 20 years old, Achtung Baby 15 years old...dont you think its about time to move on.

Im quite sick and tired of brainless twats coming here because they have a really scewed image of what U2 is and what they should be.

U2 do what U2 want to do and whether you like it that choice is not up to you.

Un Lapin said:
After all, what is more pathetic than an irrelevant rock and roll dinosaur? How about an irrelevant rock and roll dinosaur that once vowed it would never become one?

How about pretentious fans who think that if he/she didn't like "insert album name here" then there most be something inherently wrong with the musician and not the person listening to the music?

U2 owe nothing to you and I, but do choose to continue to provide music, you will either like it or you won't. If you don't like the music, there is nothing forcing you to like it or to pretend thay you do. If you do liek it, well then all the better.

Guess what? I am not in love with the last two albums, I don't like ATYCLB at all, and I am falling out of favor with certain tracks on HTDAAB, but I am okay with this. It's not the end of the world, and it doesnt mean that U2 all of a sudden decided to suck, it just means that I don't like it.

It's a very simple concept, and it's the difference between being able to judge music on the merit of the music itself, as opposed to other exterior factors like Ipod ads, and ticket prices. You have already shown your hand here, and it's apparent for all to see.

I judge that neither of the last two albums are up in my favorite U2 records. That's about the extent of that. There is no grand statement or rant to be made, it's music, it's either up your alley or it isn't. Everything else is founded on image, pretentious attitude and "insert artist" here not lioving up to your inflated expectation. These are things that most people grow out of.

After all there are 1,000 artists making music out there, many of them just waiting to be discovered by you or I. If you were really intersted in the music, or the great discovery of a new band, would any of your rant even matter? Just go find something that interests you, that gets you excited again, stop plodding around trying to place your disdain in a diatribe that only suits those of liek minds, those that really aren't into the music as much as the fucking stupid silly pretentious image qualms that not only miss the point, I am not sure they even understand the point.

What is more pathetic than a rock and roll dinosaur?
The notion that because you don't like something, then it obviously must suck.

It's not so much pathetic as childish.

I am glad you didn't get tickets and deprive a deserving, appreciative true Tronto fan out of a good, appreciated seat.

Remember those muppets in the top of the balcony who were always criticizing and degrading the other muppets performing on the stage for The Muppet Show (or am I truly showing my age?)?

I can see our own articulate, well written poster, Un Lapin, doing that, criticizing each note and each "non testicled" member (no pun intended). That would have been a true waste of a coveted ticket!

Submitted respecting your opinion as I vomit all over the floor.

BTW: "I Wrote a Rant About U2" should be changed to "I Wrote a Thread to Display My Command of The King's English...Whoooo, look at how well I write and argue a Point".

You are a good writer---an excellent writer of pure rubbish. :ohmy:

Last edited:
ree5669 said:
I am glad you didn't get tickets and deprive a deserving, appreciative true Tronto fan out of a good, appreciated seat.

Remember those muppets in the top of the balcony who were always criticizing and degrading the other muppets performing on the stage for The Muppet Show (or am I truly showing my age?)?

I can see our own articulate, well written poster, Un Lapun, doing that, criticizing each note and each "non testicled" member (no pun intended). That would have been a true waste of a coveted ticket!

Submitted respecting your opinion as I vomit all over the floor.

BTW: I wrote a rant about U2 should be changed to "I Wrote a Thread to Display My Command of The King's English...Whoooo, look at how well I write and argue a Point".

You are a good writer---an excellent writer of pure rubbish. :ohmy:

Lapin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom