I tired of that......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peterrrrr

New Yorker
Im tired of that people often says:
U2 was best in the 80's
Tha Zooropa is strange
Pop is Strange

It is like when the music gets deep it gets hard to listen to, Im want deep music. I think that for example ISHFWILF isnt intressting to listen to if you compare to a song like Zooropa. You relay have to listen to it deep.

Amen to that.
Zooropa kicks ass. It has three distinct parts, Larry playing bass (i think in the beginning? maybe?), awesomely delayed guitar, a German advertising slogan.
Also, it carries on the theme started by Acrobat of dreaming out loud.
So yes, to conclude, "deep" music, for the most part, is much cooler than catchy songs without much to them.

Peterrrrr said:
Im tired of that people often says:
U2 was best in the 80's
Tha Zooropa is strange
Pop is Strange

It is like when the music gets deep it gets hard to listen to, Im want deep music. I think that for example ISHFWILF isnt intressting to listen to if you compare to a song like Zooropa. You relay have to listen to it deep.

In some ways I agree, some I disagree. I do think U2 was better - much, much better - in the eighties, but Zooropa the song slays ISHFWILF, and Zooropa the album has some truly exceptional moments. I love the more "out there" stuff, especially the entire Passengers album (which I rank up there with UF and JT).

I certainly would not say Pop and Zooropa are strange, though. Maybe compared to top 40 radio, but there's a whole lot more bizarre, strange, interesting stuff happening out there. Bands like Spiral Architect, Dysrythmia, Agalloch, and the Rudess Morgenstein Project make those albums seem thoroughly normal.

Re: Re: I tired of that......

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I think that UF,Acthung Baby and Zooropa has a lot of deep songs. UF,Bad,LIB,First Time.......

Can you expound a little on what you mean by "deep"? It's quite an overused term...

Axver said:

In some ways I agree, some I disagree. I do think U2 was better - much, much better - in the eighties, but Zooropa the song slays ISHFWILF, and Zooropa the album has some truly exceptional moments. I love the more "out there" stuff, especially the entire Passengers album (which I rank up there with UF and JT).

I certainly would not say Pop and Zooropa are strange, though. Maybe compared to top 40 radio, but there's a whole lot more bizarre, strange, interesting stuff happening out there. Bands like Spiral Architect, Dysrythmia, Agalloch, and the Rudess Morgenstein Project make those albums seem thoroughly normal.

For me the JT is overrated, when people says that U2 where best in the 80's I start to list up the hit list from the 90 and 00's and sudenly they remember the other songs and arent sure if the 80's are the best.

The thing with the 90's was that the experment with music made it more intressting. Most of the most intressting songs was recorded, heres one list for each decades. This list contains what I mean with deep, its easy to do a list with hits.

90's

Album songs

One
UTEOFTW
So Cruel
TTTYAATW
WGRYWH
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Stay
The First Time
Please
Discotheque
Miss Sarajevo

Other songs
Two shots of happy one shot of sad

Covers
Night And Day
Can't Help Falling In Love
Dreaming With Tears In My Eyes

80's

Album songs

The Ocean
October
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
With Or Without You
RTSS
MOTD

Other Songs
Wild Irish Rose

Its much easier to find stand out songs in the catogary deep in teh 90's, I think they expressed they more as musicans.

:huh: I have no idea what you are on about. Most of those songs aren't innovative or experimental. I mean, One? Traditional ballad if there ever was one. TTTYAATW meanders; it's not "deep". The First Time is hardly a good example of U2 doing something different or experimenting.

And to be fair, the eighties list is bad too. I mean, 40? The band cobbled that together in under an hour because the War album needed a closer. Not "deep" at all. But considering what appears to be your criteria, where's 4th Of July, or Elvis Presley And America?

The thing that surprises me is that you didn't name a single song from Passengers, despite the fact that's the most experimental item in U2's catalogue.

Axver said:
:huh: I have no idea what you are on about. Most of those songs aren't innovative or experimental. I mean, One? Traditional ballad if there ever was one. TTTYAATW meanders; it's not "deep". The First Time is hardly a good example of U2 doing something different or experimenting.

And to be fair, the eighties list is bad too. I mean, 40? The band cobbled that together in under an hour because the War album needed a closer. Not "deep" at all. But considering what appears to be your criteria, where's 4th Of July, or Elvis Presley And America?

The thing that surprises me is that you didn't name a single song from Passengers, despite the fact that's the most experimental item in U2's catalogue.

Well everybody has their own definision of deep, I think that some AB has lot of deep sound, deep for me is deep lyrics, deep sounds.

I think that One is one of their best songs, but the thing with that song is that it is a simple songs..... but it got something deep in it.(talking about the studio version) they have never succeed to play like that in the live versions. I don't know what it is, it is a athmosphere in thsat song I can be because of Bonos deep voice in that song.

The First time is deep for me, the lyrics is very good. How Bono sings in that song make it also deep.

What I mean in the list is outstanding deep songs, sure 4th Of July and Elvis Presley is deep. But they did a lot more expermentaly and deep music in the 90's.

Peterrrrr said:

deep for me is deep lyrics, deep sounds.
I can't see why One is deep following that definition.

Deep sounds? No. The whole song is a simple VI-II-IV-V progression. Moreover, Edge is not really doing anything with it, he just plays the chords with some variations.

Deep lyrics? Come on.
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers

Yeah, I can see how deep that is. :| And I didn't choose those lines randomly, they're actually the lines that the UK public chose as "best lyrics of all time". :silent:

What I mean in the list is outstanding deep songs, sure 4th Of July and Elvis Presley is deep. But they did a lot more expermentaly and deep music in the 90's.
You actually think One is deeper than 4th of July? :lmao:

WalkOn21 said:
I can't see why One is deep following that definition.

Deep sounds? No. The whole song is a simple VI-II-IV-V progression. Moreover, Edge is not really doing anything with it, he just plays the chords with some variations.

Deep lyrics? Come on.
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers

Yeah, I can see how deep that is. :| And I didn't choose those lines randomly, they're actually the lines that the UK public chose as "best lyrics of all time". :silent:

You actually think One is deeper than 4th of July? :lmao:

I havent wrote anywhere that One has deep lyrics, I wrote
that One gets deep because of Bono's deep vocals in that song.

And I havent write that One is deeper then 4th of July.

I

I agree that Pop and Zooropa etc sound strange, but that is what makes them so great!!
I listened to Zooropa last night for the first time fully in a while and I have come to a conclusion that it could well be U2's finest album. Maybe because it was recorded so quickly and not subject to over-analysing it just sounds so free, it truly comes from another place. It is incredibly deep and says so much over the course of just 10 songs. all the 10 songd are so different, from the epic sonic majesty of zooropa, the seemingly throwaway nature of Some Days and Babyface(but in truth they are anything but thowaway) the Prince/talking heads magic of Lemon, the wild leftfield nature of Numb and Daddy's.., plus one of U2's finest ever songs, Stay! And then closing with The Wanderer.....Oh God, this was amazing, great lyrics, great music and using J Cash, at a time when his rebirth hadn't really begun...all strokes of genius.

I love 80's U2, i was a fan in the 80's:) But once you truly submerge yourself in the 90's U2 it is difficult to hear those 80's classics in the same way again, theyre still great but something isnt quite the same,something has gone for me. Only The Unforgettable Fire retains its place in my heart, maybe because they experimented then in the same way that they did with Zooropa. I'd love them to do that with the next album....please bring back Eno......

Peterrrrr said:

I havent wrote anywhere that One has deep lyrics
No, but:
A. you wrote that your definition of 'deep' is deep lyrics and deep sounds
B. you put One in your "deep songs" list

A + B = you think One has deep lyrics and deep sounds
And I havent write that One is deeper then 4th of July.
A. you wrote that the songs in your list are deeper than e.g. 4th of July and Elvis Presley and America
B. One is in your list

A + B = you wrote that One is deeper than 4th of July

An Cat Gav said:

I love 80's U2, i was a fan in the 80's:) But once you truly submerge yourself in the 90's U2 it is difficult to hear those 80's classics in the same way again, theyre still great but something isnt quite the same,something has gone for me. Only The Unforgettable Fire retains its place in my heart, maybe because they experimented then in the same way that they did with Zooropa. I'd love them to do that with the next album....please bring back Eno......

You have right in a lot of things, sure JT is a classic is one of their masterpieces but UF is stronger. I think that UF atmosphere is on every song on UF. UF is so underrated.

After War they went more musicaly, more deep. On UF Edge had found his sound, Bonos voice was much stronger. So the three first album shouldnt been in discusion I think, just my opinion. :)

Ofcourse the 90's is better, Bono learned how to use vocal techniqs, he learned how to sing falsette, his voice went deeper. Edge guitar playing went more experimental and deep.

Last edited:
Ok I realize you're saying you think the 90's are better than the 80's; that's fine I can really care less about that debate, but you are all over the place with your definition of what "deep" is.

Hey has anybody stopped to count how many times the word 'deep' has been mentioned in this thread?

WalkOn21 said:
No, but:
A. you wrote that your definition of 'deep' is deep lyrics and deep sounds
B. you put One in your "deep songs" list

A + B = you think One has deep lyrics and deep sounds
A. you wrote that the songs in your list are deeper than e.g. 4th of July and Elvis Presley and America
B. One is in your list

A + B = you wrote that One is deeper than 4th of July

Yes One is deep for me, because Bonos deep voice make it deep. It isnt deep anyomre when you hear it live or the MJB version, Bono hasnt that voice in One anymore.

About 4th of july, I havent said that One is deeper then that song. A song can be deep, deeper....... The list contains the best deepest songs.

Does this thread remind anyone else of The Smurfs? Replace the word "deep" throughout this thread with the word "smurf". It means about the same thing.

because bonos smurf voice makes it smurf. It isnt smurf anymore when you hear it live

Peterrrrr said:

The list contains the best deepest songs.
Now look what you smurf:
- One is not smurfer than 4th of July
- One is in the list of smurfest songs, and 4th of July isn't

The fact that One is in your smurf but 4th of July isn't makes it irrefutable that you smurfed One is smurfer. If 4th of July was smurfer or equally smurf, it would've been in that smurf.

:wink:

If you don't know what to say about One or think that one is overused(commercials,charity,etc.) then don't say anything. If you think One is not deep or reflective or whatever the word it is, then you should write better song which will be used as much as One or you should tell me which is the meaning of the One lyrics.

on the topic: Yes, i'm also tired of it. My friend said that u2 in 80's had some rhytm and 90's have none. I almost killed him,but that's another story. I love 90's but also 80's, and i am tired of hearing Zooropa is strange...

for Axver:If you were in a pub, and they played One because they knew you are a u2 fan, wouldn't you like the song???

p.s. SMURF

While I can appreciate that everyone has different tastes and I certainly have songs that mean more to me than others, it is really exhausting reading these ongoing debates. Frankly, I love *all* their albums pretty much equally. Why limit my enjoyment by comparing any given song to this that and the other? Take each song as a stand alone and find something there or decide it is just not one that speaks to you.

Then again when asked if I like ice cream, I don't go off on a rant about which flavor shows the most depth or creativity. It comes down to, is it yummy or not?

The alternative sure seems limiting!

Pero said:
If you think One is not deep or reflective or whatever the word it is, then you should write better song which will be used as much as One or you should tell me which is the meaning of the One lyrics.
That sounds an awful lot like a tu quoque argument - which is funny, because tu quoque means 'you too', get it? U2! ;)

But seriously, "you can't say that because you can't do it better", also known as the tu quoque argument, can and will be dismissed as a logical fallacy.

Back
Top Bottom