I think I like the New Mix of Numb more than the album one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

impy13

ONE love, blood, life
And that's saying a lot. It's the only New Mix off the best of that I prefer over the old one. I think it's :drool:

I want to know what others think.

Oh man.... I gotta disagree with you this time. :| I prefer all the original versions to the goddamn mixes on the Best Of! :mad: Of course, I only heard that Numb mix once or twice but I doubt if my opinion's gonna change.

I definitely think the new mix of Numb is better, it just sounds so much clearer to me.

And the new mix of Gone stomps all over the original.

inmyplace13 said:
And that's saying a lot. It's the only New Mix off the best of that I prefer over the old one. I think it's :drool:

I'm with you, for the most part. The whole thing just sounds more vibrant and shiny on this mix. Much easier to pick out the various noises that give the song its richness.

The only thing I'd quibble with is that the middle 'da da do do da da do do' instrumental section is diminished by adding more vocal stuff to that section.

One thing I especially love about the new mix is during "I feel numb" there is singing in the left channel and speaking in the right. Sounds really fuckin cool.

I agree, I like the new mix better, in fact I think I like all of the new mixes better than the album versions

I think they are 2 for 4 on the new mixes.

"Numb" is one of the ones they got right. I love the original but this one is just better. I love that you can hear Larry. I could always hear him in the old mix and wished he was louder. The addition of guitars at the end really works. Edge also sounds much clearer. You can actually hear what he is saying. The original was too bassy and just sounded like a droning bass sound instead of the main vocals of the song.

"Gone" is the other song they got right. I do miss elements from the original (The sirem guitars) but I love both versions for different reasons.

"Discotheque" and SATS, are complete wastes of time, however.

hmm
I think I like them equally.

Gone, though... while I think the changes in the music are great, and I was happy they added Edge's backup singing, I do not approve of them re-recording Bono's vocals. I think his voice sounds a lot weaker on the new mix.

the new discotheque is horrible

SATS, I love that they added Edge's harmonizing on the chorus. The rest of it I'm kind of indifferent about.

I love the New Mix of Numb. It's nice to hear Larry, even if he isn't the greatest singer, just adds (or more accurately enhances) another layer to the song.
The new mix to me, is just more interesting and fun to listen to.

As for the others, they're all okay. Excpet Discoteque, which sucks arse without the Boom-Cha's.

Gone (new mix) is very good, but by no measue better than the album version.

SATS (new mix) is vastly inferior to the album version. They removed the electric rhythm guitars and stunk it up big time.

Numb (new mix) is ok. But Larry's vocal is WAY TOO LOUD.

Discotheque (new mix) is a marked improvement ove the album version. They've saved a great guitar riff by stripping alot of the treatments off, and ditching the cheese infested "Boom Cha" ending.

Numb's New Mix I think is the most successful of the four. It's the only mix that Mike Hedge's producing style works on, with the live sound of the recording. The first time I heard it I sat on my bed and was on the verge of freaking out, Larry, Edge and Bono all sounded like they were singing in my ear and THEY FELT NUMB.

Both the original and the new mix compliment each other. I can't say the same about the Pop mixes.

The Numb version is the worst of all of them, IMO. Horrible.

Bono's Fat Lady is too loud as well.

Basically the original is Zed and the remake is Marcellus Wallace.

All 4 have something good in them and something :barf: in them:

- Numb: new guitar parts... but it's not "numb" anymore.

- SATS: IMO from the "military still in town" is much, much better than on the album, the mad ending is also very good, but adding drums and changing the mixing of the guitars was a very bad idea...

- Discotheque: hmm, actualy I only like this new intro to the song, the rest is boring as ATYCLB...

- Gone: ok, so there's actualy nothing in this version that is better than in the orginal IMO, but it's closer to the live version and many people like it, so it can't be a bad thing (it's just not "better")

seconding, etc. everyone who's said larry and bono's fat lady vocals are too loud on this mix. it just kinda ruins it for me. i find it distracting. the volume levels were fine on the previous mixes (album, video, etc.) but i don't understand why now i need to have larry screaming "i feel numb" in my face. ugh.

One of my favorite things - next to more Edge guitars - is actually hearing Larry this time. But to each his own :shrug:

The producing of the new version of Gone is awful, at least!!
You can easily notice the big difference between the pop vocal recording and the new one. Even the volume noises weren´t eliminated. This version is better because it´s similar to the live version, but the producing work could´ve been better

inmyplace13 said:

:up:

I liked the original - thought it was a very interesting and daring choice of a "single". But the remix on the "Best Of" really captures it for me. The song seems alive now, and the background vocals, which were barely audible before, now can be heard. IMO, they enhance the track enormously.

This is why I like remixes so much - every so often, a remix takes a song I thought was just O.K. (and in some cases didn't really like) and turns it into a great track. Sometimes remixes fall flat, but I enjoy hearing the alternative take nonethless. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom