I need historic details about what SBS and NYD are about, PLEASE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
So, I'm writing a paper on U2 (best. assignment. ever.) and I want to mention the historical inspirations for Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day. I know SBS is about Bloody Sunday in Northern Ireland and NYD has something to do with Poland.

Could someone please provide some details about these events? Thanks!

If my memory serves me right, Sunday Bloody Sunday was where protestors were fired upon and killed during a protest (I forget which of) but it was a conflict that may have involved the Catholics and Protestants.

New Year's Day was about Poland's nuclear capabilities, and fear of nuclear war.

I'm sure there will be people who will explain this more into detail.

I strongly suggest getting a couple of Tim Pat Coogan's books. He's one of Ireland's best known journalists/historians and has written several books on modern Irish history. He has written bios on Michael Collins and Eamon De Valera as well as books on the topic of the IRA and The Troubles. His books will be a great source for bibliographical purposes.

Also this website is a great source of info on SBS with resources that includes articles and photographs. www.bloodysundaytrust.org

New Year's Day was more specially about Polish Nobel Laureate Lech Walesa.
Here's a Bono quote bout the song from the book titled In His Own Words: " 'New Years Day' is a love song. Subconsciously, I must have been thinking about Lech Walesa being interned and his wife not being allowed to see him. Then when we released the song, they announced that martial law would be lifted in Poland on New Year's Day." ---I'm convinced B is a prophet...:wink:

Last edited:
:hug: stars!! :hug:
I knew I could count on you to help MC with her request for more U2 knowledge! :lol:

OK - sorry for the hi-jacking! I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread....... :reject:

BluRmGrl said:
:hug: stars!! :hug:
I knew I could count on you to help MC with her request for more U2 knowledge! :lol:

:hug: BluRmGrl :hug:

Yes, you'd think I'd be an Edge girl with my perverse interest in the collection of odd trivia and facts. :wink:

MD--let us know how the paper works out! I'd love to see a finished draft! Again, my inner nerd is showing....:reject:

Last edited:
theu2fly said:
If my memory serves me right, Sunday Bloody Sunday was where protestors were fired upon and killed during a protest (I forget which of) but it was a conflict that may have involved the Catholics and Protestants.

New Year's Day was about Poland's nuclear capabilities, and fear of nuclear war.

I'm sure there will be people who will explain this more into detail.

Poland's nuclear capabilities?

HAHAHAHAHAHAH... sorry.. but.. lol

anyway, New Years' Day was written before the events in Poland took place, while the song oddly nicely fits into the Polish solidarity movement, it was not written about it. (I don't think so anyway)

You might be better off writing about Please or Peace on Earth, both of which could tie in with the Ireland theme started with SBS.

Funny someone mentioned Bono being a prophet though, considering Love is Blindness basically predicts what happened at Omagh.

Actually, I've heard a pretty convincing argument that New Year's Day is about beginning the Christian walk. U2 tends to put a lot of Christian themes in its songs, andm though the song is a bit ambiguous, you could come away from that impression from this song.
The interpretation noted that it seemed to describe the reality of Christianity in that "nothing changes" in being born again -- i.e. a "world in white" (life in Christ) doesn't magically erase life's hardships.
I think if you dig around the net, you could find that perspective -- I can't remeber off-hand where I read that.

korczykp said:

Funny someone mentioned Bono being a prophet though, considering Love is Blindness basically predicts what happened at Omagh.

:eyebrow: I don't understand the connection. Can you explain?

starsgoblue said:
Here's a Bono quote bout the song from the book titled In His Own Words: " 'New Years Day' is a love song. Subconsciously, I must have been thinking about Lech Walesa being interned and his wife not being allowed to see him. Then when we released the song, they announced that martial law would be lifted in Poland on New Year's Day."

Yep, I remember reading that quote in an article in Smash Hits circa Jan 1983 when U2 had their first top 10 UK hit and had coincidentally played SBS in Belfast for the first ever time live.

How's that, fact fans??? :reject:

When they were playing PopMart in Poland, during NYD there were images of Walesa (seems a "hero" everywhere else, but not in Poland BTW, he's just a prick realy) and crowds of people with "Solidarity" banners.

The song was released in 1983 (don't know when it was written), so it was AFTER those events... not a prophet!

I would like to belive that this song is not about Walesa, I would like it less then.
To me this song is about a no-name person with a massive political movement in the background.

Bloody Sunday was when British Paratroopers fired on a crowd of catholic protestors.

The Paratroopers have always claimed that there were members of the IRA firing on their positions from within the crowd as cover.

The IRA deny this.

Either way, innocent people got killed, and the paratroopers became one of the most hated british units (alongside the SAS) in the eyes of republican movement sympathisers.

korczykp said:

Yes you're right, although at the time the IRA were actively carrying out car bomb attacks on a regular basis so Love is Blindness is not necessarily about the Omagh bomb in particular.

whitehead said:

:eyebrow: I don't understand the connection. Can you explain?

The Lyrics to Love is Blindness are clearly about terrorism, and presumably about terrorism in Northern Ireland.

Love is blindness meaning that people on either side of the divide are so entrenched with their own beliefs they can't see the bigger picture.

One reference to a car bomb attack is 'in a parked car, in a crowded street, you see your love, made complete'

The second is 'a little death without mourning, no call and no warning'

The IRA have a system of codes they use with the British Police to verify their identity. In some cases the calls are made before the bomb goes off to create panic. In other cases they call after the event to claim responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom